The history of Gillette 7 o'clock razors?

Does anyone have any history on the name "7 o'clock" as applied to Gillette products, particularly the razors themselves?
I have a bit of a hazy memory, but I seem to think that 7 o'clock were a separate company who were bought out, (maybe in about the 60's?), by Gillette.

Of course the recent razors are for the Indian market and are either all plastic, or are a half metal plastic sort of "slim twist" copy, but was there a more solid razor under the 7 o'clock banner? Are there any "vintage" 7 o'clock razors out there?

Oh right, it goes back some way then. Thanks HM.

Do we know much about the history of 7 o'clock themselves? I'd imagine it has to be an American company if it was bought so very early on.

Think HM is on the money. I think Gillette bought out the 7 O'Clock company in the late 20's early 30's. I am sure I have (or have had?) a 7 O'Clock New 3 piece razor..........will have look sometime soon..

Yep. I've got one somewhere too.

It might not have necessarily been a US company though. After all, didn't Gillette takeover Rotbart, a German one, around that time.

Here's mine.

Delivers a lovely shave, but it is basically a Gillette New with a different stamp on the back. I have a New which is identical to this, even has the same handle!

IMAG0061.jpg

I just saw this on ebay!http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-GILLETTE-7O-CLOCK-RAZOR-BAKELITE-BOX-BLADES-WW1-/150832442564?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D270995780316%252B270995780316%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9209092900914658273

Researched the Trade Mark section and found the following. Doesn't give us much but it does take us back to the beginning ::: the 7 O'Clock trade mark
Serial Number 71078296
Filing Date 1914-05-15
Registration Number 0099931
Registration Date 1914-09-29
Goods And Services SAFETY-RAZORS AND SAFETY-RAZOR BLADES.

So we're back almost 100yrs!!!

They're fairly similar, both made in the same factory in Russia. Not sure on the excact differences, possibly a different grind on the blade, different finish maybe, St Petersburg Products aren't clear on what the differences are.
They're both really good, some people say yellow are that bit sharper, some complain of an initial roughness, whereas some like the smoothness of the green, I just really like both blades to be honest.

There is another 7 o'clock green blade which is labelled "Permasharp" as opposed to the Russian "Super Stainless" that you have... the former are made at the plant in India and are not quite so good.

Back
Top Bottom