The Dangers of Overconfidence

Its been a relatively short period of time since I've stood up to the Gillette Corporation (or P&G as it is now) and I've learned a hell of a lot. Possibly the best thing I've learned is a dose of humility.

Reading a set of instructions and following is pretty straightforward for me and after reading the plethora of information (take it nice and slow, no pressure, watch the beard map) I was getting some excellent, irritant free shaves. I'd even adjusted my morning routine to allow myself some extra time for the extra prep required.

Feeling quite proud of myself, I thought this shaving lark is easy. Like all things in life, when we start to take things a bit too much for granted, we get a swift boot up the arse. Over the past two days, my neck was red raw... and all because I wasn't paying enough attention to the basics (angles, speed, pressure) and thinking I can do this without any thought. Perhaps I will after 6 months but until then, I need to pay a bit of attention. Plus whilst its easy to be like a kid in a sweetshop with all the different blades, razors, soaps and creams, its a better idea to stick with the failsafe combination for a while as well (Merkur HD, Derby and MWF for now).

Cut a long story short, plenty of moisturiser and some Aqua Velva (thanks again Ollie!) has worked marvels on the rash and today I had a most comfortable shave, going well back to basics. I went for a two pass so as not to inflame the neck again and it feels good.

So when you muck up, don't be afraid to back off and return to the basics - its a great place to start again.

Yup, me too! I started taking longer and longer strokes and couldn't understand why I kept getting nicks. I think I was trying to be like Beckham swiping down his whole face! Now the only thing we have in common is our looks!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom