The Bluebeards Revenge Cut-Throat Razor [shavette]

abj

Recently I bought the Bluebeards Revenge Cut-Throat Razor.
For some reason the shaves are not good.
Feels like the blades are tugging. Angle is good as far as I can see.
The blades I've used are Wilkinson Classic and Derby Premium half blade, soap Proraso white.
The same blades in a DE safety razor are smooth (Derby of course the DE version).
I strech my skin and make short strokes on my cheeks.
Is it my technique? Or are those blades not the best for this razor?
Any advice (other blades or even other shavette) is welcome

I can't really comment on the blades because I've always used straight razors and not a shavette, however I found shaves more comfortable when I decreased my angle a little (bringing the spine closer to my face). Also lathering well can make a big difference to the comfort of a shave. If you haven't had problems shaving with a straight or shavette before then could well be the blades

Don't think you will find much love for either shavettes or Derby blades on here sorry if this sounds harsh may be invest in some better blades for your de while you save up for a proper straight

There are shavette razors like CJX and Feathers from Japan, which use their own special blades. Those seem to have a better reputation than those which use half a DE blade.

I use actual straight razors, ground for use and periodically sharpened. Again, these are said to give a better shave than half DE shavettes.

It sounds like you may have started with the most difficult method of straight shaving to master. As suggested above it may be worth investing in better equipment, or accepting a very steep learning curve with your current shavette.

Angle is all important in straight shaving. Take small strokes. And take your time. Would not be unreasonable for your first straight shaves to take half an hour or more and leave you rather poorly shaved.

Reactions: abj
If someone really wants a shavette it has always been my recommendation to start with a weck sextoblade with guard.. It is thought of as a straight razor with training wheels.. The guard helps you learn to use it and then if you choose to you can remove the guard and use it without. They are fairly inexpensive and use the hair shaper blades so they use longer blades. Also as others have stated the feather ac or kai captains are good also.

Thx every one.
Like @Hunt807 said I decreased my angle. No tugging with the Derby blade. I only did my cheeks, when I'm a bit more "experienced" I'll try the chin and neck.
@AndyMc133 this week I'll try it with a Gillette, Astra or Personna blade.
@Dansco and @jaro1069 for the moment I'll stick to the BBR, later I'll buy something better.
For now I know that I like this way of shaving ;)

Thx every one.
Like @Hunt807 said I decreased my angle. No tugging with the Derby blade. I only did my cheeks, when I'm a bit more "experienced" I'll try the chin and neck.
@Dansco and @jaro1069 for the moment I'll stick to the BBR, later I'll buy something better.
Glad you got it sorted out. Like i said though the weck is wonderful to learn on and inexpensive also. So if you find one it could be worth it... I have a few shavettes and straights also and still pull out the wecks sometimes.... As always though ymmv.. Good luck.

Thx, I'll try it again tomorrow with a decreased angle. I never had a shavette or a straight razor before.
Thx every one.
keep at it, gets easier each time! It was the simple things I overlooked when I started out that has made all the difference-
Angle, no more the 30degrees (about a spine or two away from face).
Lather - good slickness and not too dry/thick.
Patience.
Keep the skin tight (stupid face pulling may occur).
Good prep- I usually shave after shower/bath and use hot flannel to soften up the beard.
Oh, and more patience.
Good luck and enjoy

Back
Top Bottom