Thanks For Having Me

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
who ever thought at 53 I would be excited about shaving and on a forum certainly not me. iv basically hated shaving all my life, I started shaving at the age of 14-15 with cartridge as I started getting bum fluff and its been a bind for me ever since, that is off course changed since iv discovered DE.
Again I would never have thought I was shaving wrong for the past 35 years and now I enjoy it and look forward to my next shave, Sad I know lol.
I Harped on to the wife and she bought me a set for xmas, Bennys Of London.
Im not overly impressed however it has gave me the enthusiasm to carry on.
im currently working in Norway and not due home for another month but the minute im home im heading for a new razor.
Possibly feather, Above the tie Windsor or Rex ambassador so any recommendations would be good.
Thanks again for having me in this new chapter in my life, a chapter im looking forward to. Mike.

And welcome to TSR and I am sure folk will be happy to have you.

Good places to start? I'd highly recommend a Karve or a Muhle R89 to learn the ropes with. Won't break the bank and both hard to go wrong with

who ever thought at 53 I would be excited about shaving and on a forum certainly not me. iv basically hated shaving all my life, I started shaving at the age of 14-15 with cartridge as I started getting bum fluff and its been a bind for me ever since, that is off course changed since iv discovered DE.
Again I would never have thought I was shaving wrong for the past 35 years and now I enjoy it and look forward to my next shave, Sad I know lol.
I Harped on to the wife and she bought me a set for xmas, Bennys Of London.
Im not overly impressed however it has gave me the enthusiasm to carry on.
im currently working in Norway and not due home for another month but the minute im home im heading for a new razor.
Possibly feather, Above the tie Windsor or Rex ambassador so any recommendations would be good.
Thanks again for having me in this new chapter in my life, a chapter im looking forward to. Mike.

It starts so innocuously but before long you'll be trying to source obscure Czech blades at 3am.

If you're in Norway, I know some people really rate Fjitar Islands products which are based in Norway and it could work out well for you to buy them online there if you can.

Welcome buddy.
I converted to DE just over 18 months ago. Now I have 7 razors, 7 brushes and ooooodles of soaps, creams, balms etc.

You don't have to spend lots to get good quality products. The rex ambassador whilst amazing is a little pricey.
You can't go wrong with Yaqi products from Aliexpress.
Cheap and good quality razors and brushes.

:)greetings & welcome , some good advice above , see what you prefer before spending big. a£220 + razor holds a razor blade just the same a an old gillette tech for £10 from ebay .. maybe you prefer soaps over cream,s , do you like menthol or not , pre shave /no pre shave , aftershave or balm .. 30 day rule is the best way to find out , enjoy your journey

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies guys its much appreciated and all advice taken on board. Unfortunately for myself I have a very obsessive nature/personality lol. iv done a fair bit of research before coming on here and genuinely feel I should go for a higher end razor. Not because I know for a fact they are better but just because I know myself and if I were to buy cheaper versions my head would be bursting and constantly asking myself why I didn't buy the better one, crazy I know but that's me all over. The last thing I want to end up doing is having 5, 10 or possibly 20 razors with 19 not getting used. My theory is try buying the best in the hope I don't want to buy again, tall order I know but its only a theory lol.
Just writing this I know my spending might end up out of control It normally does but here's hoping im doing the right thing

Mike, nice outlook. I took a similar view and went for a timeless. I tried several others before hand inc the R41 to see how aggressive I would need.
Ordered the .68 scalloped from Timeless in the polished titanium. It's not cheap and then you get stuffed for duties.
But it's a thing of beauty and my “daily driver”. Shaved as good as it looks.
Enjoy whatever you go for, cheers
Paul

Mike, nice outlook. I took a similar view and went for a timeless. I tried several others before hand inc the R41 to see how aggressive I would need.
Ordered the .68 scalloped from Timeless in the polished titanium. It's not cheap and then you get stuffed for duties.
But it's a thing of beauty and my “daily driver”. Shaved as good as it looks.
Enjoy whatever you go for, cheers
Paul
Thanks Paul , I know where your coming from. im a mad fisherman and spent a small fortune over the years, literally thousands of pounds and a good few years ago I sold the lot and ended up with a small number of higher end items, which ironically turned out cheaper than having 30 plus rods I never used. a silly comparison however it sort of makes sense to me. I think

Back
Top Bottom