Tell me about shave sticks!

Today I picked up a couple of palmolive shave sticks. Never used one in stick form and I have noticed boots do their own too along with the big brands. I only picked them up as I saw them in my local Superdrug and I thought for 75 pence why not.
Has anyone used any other shave sticks? recommendations? also is there a specific technique for getting the correct lather from these?
The shave stick interests me quite a lot because I do a lot of travelling and barely have the space for a full size tub, even a travel size tub it's too big.

Today I picked up a couple of palmolive shave sticks. Never used one in stick form and I have noticed boots do their own too along with the big brands. I only picked them up as I saw them in my local Superdrug and I thought for 75 pence why not.
Has anyone used any other shave sticks? recommendations? also is there a specific technique for getting the correct lather from these?
The shave stick interests me quite a lot because I do a lot of travelling and barely have the space for a full size tub, even a travel size tub it's too big.

Palmolive, one of my favourite soaps. Just rub on your face like a crayon. Then with a damp brush lather up adding water until it is how you like your lather

Speick also do a good shave stick but I dont know how easy it will be to buy in the UK. I always get some when I go over to Germany.

Theres also Arko. A lot of people dont like the smell of them but I find its ok if you let them air out for a bit. Performance is great.

Get the Boots stick. One of the best.

Lets not mention Tabac...

The Boots one comes with a very handy case, which is great for travelling however it makes my face burn like no other soap, but I'd still recommend getting one for just the case. Other sticks with cases like that include La Toja & Lea.

As for technique for lathering, I find they work best with brushes with a good backbone. I've found certain boar brushes work better than others, but all the synths work very well.

Just been looking online, Speick and La toja seem to be all the rage. There is one called House 99 inspired by David Beckham but at £15 for 50ml it doesn't interest me at that price point.

Just been looking online, Speick and La toja seem to be all the rage. There is one called House 99 inspired by David Beckham but at £15 for 50ml it doesn't interest me at that price point.

IMO Speick, Tabac & Wilko Blue aren't a million miles apart for their lathers. With Palmolive, I think the German shaving sticks are pretty superb for their performance.

DR Harris have some sticks as well, a bit pricier than the others but they seem to go under the radar.

Palmolive are pretty good, give a really good lather and cheap as chips! My personal favourite is the Tabac but thats a good bit pricier. YMMV

Addition to the recommendations above; Derby shave stick(Quite similar to Arko), Bea very similar to Lea and lets not forget Valobra shave stick, must be the most pricy one but good performance however if I had to choose only one, that would be the Arko.

I favour the Speick and La Toja. You can pick up Speick in the plastic case from connaught. I rub the brush on them as I find it irritates if I go direct on the face.

I have Palmolive, LaToja, Arko and just a smidgen of Speick left. I have also used a stick of Valobra. If money were not an object Speick is the best IMO as its scent is magnificent and so original in addition to perfect shaves. I don't think the current LaToja is quite as good. Palmolive rates a tad higher than Arko, but both have industrial urinal puck smells. :sick: The blue Wilkie stick is a winner, but the cost is higher and the scent is generic industrial grade as well.

There's just something about the Speick orange tallow stick that is so narcotizing and refreshing. It performs just as well as any top shelf artisan soap for the actual shave also.

Back
Top Bottom