Tapatalk

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
This may come as bad news for those of you who are regular Tapatalk users but I will not be enabling it on the site again.
There are a few factors which influenced the decision but it mainly comes down to the ones listed here.

1. I don't agree with their Terms of Service : https://www.tapatalk.com/terms_of_use in particular how they claim rights to user content
In connection with providing the Services, you grant the Tapatalk Entities a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (a) use, reproduce, publicly perform, publicly display, modify, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part), publish and distribute User Content, and (b) make archival or back-up copies of User Content and each Site
2. They force a mobile popup trying to direct users away from the site and straight to the app. It can't be removed and it has always really annoyed me.

3. It causes me a lot of support time. Historically the plugin has caused a lot of problems (usually after forum software updates) and it takes me time to find the root cause then ask them for support in order to fix it.

4.I have no control over how they choose to display advertising nor does the site receive any revenue from the ads they serve. Since TSR needs ad revenue to help pay for the site this is a big concern of mine. Add this on to the bypass tactic in point #2 and it can mean a lot of traffic going straight to tapatalk and not here.

5. Tapatalk was installed at a time when forums were not responsive and were hard to navigate on mobile browsers. The site is now fully responsive and allows push notifications through the browser.

So that's the thinking behind the decision, I know that some people won't be happy about it but I hope they can understand the reasoning and give the site a go on mobile, I have upped the limit on attachment size so you should be able to attach your larger photos (within reason)

I've grown fond of the browser experience. I hold different forums as tabs if I want to flick between them. The only thing I missed from Tapatalk was the ease of uploading pictures. You've now sorted that though. Thanks @Boab

Shame, I really like the tabs and push notifications etc which tapatalk has and a responsive site just will not give. I understand your decision around the time it takes you to support. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Other popular shaving forums still support tapatalk and I just hope tapatalk lovers will still support TSR. I must confess I have been using TSR less since support was dropped.

Warm Regards

OP
Boab

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
Shame, I really like the tabs and push notifications etc which tapatalk has and a responsive site just will not give. I understand your decision around the time it takes you to support. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Other popular shaving forums still support tapatalk and I just hope tapatalk lovers will still support TSR. I must confess I have been using TSR less since support was dropped.

Warm Regards
Push notifications are enabled here.

Apparently they are not supported by my device (at least that’s what it states in preferences), whereas the tapatalk app which is installed directly on my phone seemed to work fine.

paulmc

Supporter
Supporter
Boab, full support here for rejecting such onerous T&Cs. I use Apple and the site looks great in the Firefox browser.
Thanks for everything you do here.

Top Bottom