Taking the plunge- Boker

Having using a shavette for sometime, I have decided to get my first straight razor. I chose to go used to ensure SR shaving was for me before spending alot on a new one.
I got an old used Boker for 20 quid and that has arrived now. The blade appears to be in good nick to my untrained eye but will need proper honing as it is quite blunt. The blade cleaned up nicely. The plastic scales are cracked and warped and I will put some new scales on soon. However I'd like to have the blade checked & made shave ready before I go through the re-scaling in case it's a lost cause. I would be grateful for some input on who best to send this to for professional attention so I can start on the right foot. With thanks in advance.

A bit belated, life gets in the way sometimes.
Here are some images of the blade & cracks to the scales at the blade pins. Just need to get it off to a honemeister for honing. Any suggestions/recommendations? 20191023_131918-756x1008.jpg20191023_131927-1008x756.jpg

For the cracks I would sand them down and then use a very small file to create a V shape in the crack, then get a bit of film like lapping paper and oil it to push under the tang and scale...making sure absolutly no oil touches the sanded and V cut you made...then fill the V and sanded scale with a clear resin...allow to dry overnight, dont believe the "sets in 5 mins " stuff, give it plenty time...then just sand down the excess resin, the resin will be stronger than the scale....the oiled film makes sure the scale/tang dont get stuck together, I have seen tiny files in the pound shops that will work.

For the cracks I would sand them down and then use a very small file to create a V shape in the crack, then get a bit of film like lapping paper and oil it to push under the tang and scale...making sure absolutly no oil touches the sanded and V cut you made...then fill the V and sanded scale with a clear resin...allow to dry overnight, dont believe the "sets in 5 mins " stuff, give it plenty time...then just sand down the excess resin, the resin will be stronger than the scale....the oiled film makes sure the scale/tang dont get stuck together, I have seen tiny files in the pound shops that will work.
Thanks for the input, definitely an option. I need to see if I can sort the other issue which is one of the scales is badly warped, and sits lower down and slightly twisted so the blade catches the edge if not carefully aligned for closure. I have cosidered re-scaling but would be good to keep the originals. Hoping gentle application of a heatgun may work, but dont want to start twisting the scales with those cracks for fear of breaks. Perhaps I will sort those and then try re-align the warped scales. Thanks again.

Looks like a very nice blade, definitely worth getting honed. As for the scales, personally i'd replace or make some new ones out of some nice wood, but @Bob1955 comments are equally as valid.

Looks like a very nice blade, definitely worth getting honed. As for the scales, personally i'd replace or make some new ones out of some nice wood, but @Bob1955 comments are equally as valid.
Cheers Bazz, new scales will be most likely..... as the crack runs into the pin holes. Thanks for the feedback on the blade, pleased with that. Seen a few sites online that offer honing services. Are you able to recommend anyone you guys have used before?

Cheers Bazz, new scales will be most likely..... as the crack runs into the pin holes. Thanks for the feedback on the blade, pleased with that. Seen a few sites online that offer honing services. Are you able to recommend anyone you guys have used before?

Fergiebilly on here does honework...he has done a couple for me, top guy and has all the stones for different finishes.

Back
Top Bottom