Tabula Rasa

Would anyone know of a website (or individual) selling samples of these soaps? There's a few of them I'm curious about, but I can't really justify buying near on £120 worth just to try them out ... I do have some sanity left.

Chris.

As far as I'm aware Ian at The Gentlemans Groom Room is the only UK stockist and I don't think he has any samples of Tabula Rassa but I have smelt quite a few fragrances in his shop and chose Steam Punk and I haven't been disappointed. Check out the website at http://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/t/brand/tabula-rasa

I have the Steampunk and cardamom, I too had a sniff at Ian's shop, I thought these two were the strongest scented of the range. The steampunk is very hard to describe scent wise but I think cedar and Violet are the two dominant scents but my nose is rubbish. The cardamom is easy, it's exactly what it says on the tin. Burst open a cardamom pod and that's the scent of this cream. I love the scent of cardamom not so much the flavour though.
The performance, I was very impressed but I know Hairsuite after a single use of the Vetiver and tangerine was exceptionally underwhelmed.

Steampunk is amazing!! Not only is the scent refreshing but the after shave conditioned and soft feel is really nice. I did manage to get a sniff of some others!! There was 1 strange scent. The "tea" one. Other than that all the rest I smelled were nice.

Randomangle said:
Would anyone know of a website (or individual) selling samples of these soaps? There's a few of them I'm curious about, but I can't really justify buying near on £120 worth just to try them out ... I do have some sanity left.

Chris.
Hi Randomangle, so sorry but we did not receive any sample sizes of the Tabula Rasa, however I will look into whether this is possible when I place my next order.

Sm304 said:
I have the Steampunk and cardamom, I too had a sniff at Ian's shop, I thought these two were the strongest scented of the range. The steampunk is very hard to describe scent wise but I think cedar and Violet are the two dominant scents but my nose is rubbish. The cardamom is easy, it's exactly what it says on the tin. Burst open a cardamom pod and that's the scent of this cream. I love the scent of cardamom not so much the flavour though.
The performance, I was very impressed but I know Hairsuite after a single use of the Vetiver and tangerine was exceptionally underwhelmed.
Hi Scott, happy to hear you are enjoying the Tabula Rasa, I spoke to Cyril yesterday as he was struggling to get the best out of the product when lathering. Hopefully he will now have a bit more success. There was a good review done on Tabula Rasa by Mike at the Shaving 101 blog several years ago, I think it was titled Wet Shavings Best-Kept Secret that's also worth a look.

Hairsuite said:
I will persevere Ian, judging by everyone else's experiences it's not the soap, it's me!!

Might try a bowl lather...
Hi Cyril , I think because of it's unique consistency some do have trouble lathering, it does work much better when this consistency is broken down fully. The company do recommend palm lathering, but personally I've had no problem bowl lathering (try adding an extra few drops of water to the mix, as it may help to change the consistency quicker) . Check out Mike's 101 review though it is worth a look, he also palm lathers. Hope it works out for you and you can fully experience the Tabula Rasa.

Ian T said:
Hairsuite said:
I will persevere Ian, judging by everyone else's experiences it's not the soap, it's me!!

Hi Cyril , I think because of it's unique consistency some do have trouble lathering, it does work much better when this consistency is broken down fully. The company do recommend palm lathering, but personally I've had no problem bowl lathering (try adding an extra few drops of water to the mix, as it may help to change the consistency quicker) . Check out Mike's 101 review though it is worth a look, he also palm lathers. Hope it works out for you and you can fully experience the Tabula Rasa.

Not one for straight razor users then.

UKRob said:
Ian T said:
Hairsuite said:

Not one for straight razor users then.
Hi UkRob, It does give a very slick protective abundant lather perfect for the straight razor and bowl lathering will work with this soap once the consistency has been changed, if this is your preferred method. However if palm lathering once you have the brush fully loaded you should have enough good workable lather to complete several passes.

I must declare that I had no bother with lather at all.

Obviously a pure fluke as I'm no expert.

Brush had been soaking during my shower. Squeezed most of water out and used dryish brush and very light strokes (oo-er missus) and you can feel the brush getting loaded. Didn't use too much. Dipped in water and onto the fizog.

This could be the kiss of death as I'm away to open my TR Frankincense:icon_razz:

Wha burst the ba said:
I must declare that I had no bother with lather at all.

Obviously a pure fluke as I'm no expert.

Brush had been soaking during my shower. Squeezed most of water out and used dryish brush and very light strokes (oo-er missus) and you can feel the brush getting loaded. Didn't use too much. Dipped in water and onto the fizog.

This could be the kiss of death as I'm away to open my TR Frankincense:icon_razz:

It's just me then!

The shaving 101 review specifically mentions straight shavers UKRob, stating it is perfect for you guys...

May try it with a different brush then..... At the minute I am taking the easy option, Wickhams Super Smooth in a bowl then let it lather itself whilst I shower.

I need to get my technique sorted, will try it again...... The scents of all are making, I want a Stem Punk but I am loath to buy another until I get my lathering technique sorted......

Got too many new soaps on the go already though!

I found myself in Ian's fine establishment today, was very restrained with just a bottle of Proraso green AS. Bought and paid and just about to leave until the TR display was pointed out to me - I now have a tub of Dezember which I'm looking forward to trying out. Oh and an Arko stick. Why process one transaction when you can do three [emoji23]

Still OH can't whinge about the cost - she bought a car!

Ian is like a cross between Auntie Wainwright from Last Of The Summer Wine and Arkwright from Open All Hours! He could sell sand to an Arab (in fact Ian, get some sand in and sell it Taypsie next time he is in, he is an Arab) test lathered TR tonight palm lathering with Rudy Vey custom 2 Band. Sorted it, bit of work with dry brush and lots lots more water than expected!

Shaving tomorrow so will try it out...

Back
Top Bottom