Swedish Swing Razors

Received two beautiful Swedish safety razors yesterday - Swings.

A little about Swedish Swing razors
There's not a whole lot of information available about these razors, but here are some data point that I was able to find;

- Made by the Swedish company "Aktiebolaget Svenska Rakklinga" that was active from 1921 (trademark was filed in 1923) up the 1950's and was located in Sandviken.

- Approximately 10 different sets/designs were made, including travel razor kits and cases in leather and bakelite,

- A number of patents were filed in the 20's and 30's to protect design ideas.
An example below:
82319.JPG

That is, sadly, all I could find.
If anyone has any more data points I'd love to learn more.

These are heavy, solid razors presumably made out of Swedish stainless steel.

Video
Here's a short 40 sec video that shows off the razors I bought (and a Gillette Slim for size comparison).
Sorry, it is a really terrible video but you try juggling a phone in one hand and fondling new, shiny razors in the other :D
[video=dailymotion]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hm728[/video]

Some still photos of the razors:

2evw411.jpg

The head design seems to be the same on both razors:
28qt9uo.jpg

and they take modern DE blades w/out modifications.

Razor #1
I read somewhere where this model was referred to as "1935, Closed Comb".
Since I have no other data to go by I'm going to stick with that for now.

I personally find it to be a very attractive razor.
Its handle design is very different though and places quite a bit of weight at the base of the handle.

8ycq2w.jpg

2morocp.jpg

2lapor9.jpg

2rxe9gj.jpg

Razor #2
The other razor has a more balanced handle - yet that same weight that I must say I really like.
The handle has a nice pattern on it that makes it easy to grip and hold.

2qm15wi.jpg

k03tdl.jpg

2vhw37m.jpg

That's it.
Can't wait to try them out but since I'm doing a "1 razor per week" project to ensure that I actually use every razor in my collection that might be a couple of weeks out :)

rolatruck said:
Nice, where did you get them from?

Thanks, I like them a lot. Got them off Etsy.com
I believe the seller still have a Swing travel razor that I decided not to pick up even though it seemed to be in the same great condition.

rolatruck said:
Just had a look, no listings for one.

I had him split up his original listing and post a new one without the travel razor - he might not have re-listed it.
If you're interested send me a PM here and I'll send you his contact info :)

Today I tried the "1935 CC" razor for the first time.

Initial impressions:
Love the weight of the handle - it might be solid Swedish stainless steel judging from appearance and weight - regardless it's one fantastic handle that's super smooth to the touch but oddly enough didn't become slippery.
The handle is a bit back-heavy as you probably can tell from the photos. It wasn't a problem per se but I did pay attention to it as this was my first shave with it.

I did my normal two passes - WTG and ATG. (The Klar Kabinett is just amazing and produced a great lather).
No nicks or cuts - the shave was smooth and felt rather effortless. End result was an 80-85% perfectly smooth shave and I spent a few seconds on touch-ups.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it will perform for me during this week and see what my final 'verdict' may be which, in the end determines if it's a keeper of goes up for sale.

3450s44.jpg

Darkbulb said:

Its handle design is very different though and places quite a bit of weight at the base of the handle.

That's it.

You are a very busy and 'enthusiastic' person! Never even heard of those things but they look good. You can bet some members are a little envious. I know one person for sure.

No that's not true. You made the effort and it worked out ok it seems.

Congrats on the unusual additions to your arsenal,

Martin

dodgy said:
Darkbulb said:

That's it.

You are a very busy and 'enthusiastic' person! Never even heard of those things but they look good. You can bet some members are a little envious. I know one person for sure.

No that's not true. You made the effort and it worked out ok it seems.

Congrats on the unusual additions to your arsenal,

Martin

Thanks Martin.
I'm just going through an 'accumulation and trying out stuff'-phase.
Plan is to divest myself from 50%+ of these razors at the end of the year.

Darkbulb said:
Bechet45 said:
Try as I might not to be, I'm jealous as all hell. They are beautiful! - and shiny, too!

Thanks, it would be hard to sell either of these two should it come to that later this year. We shall see :)

Oooooow! yes! - or however you spell a girlie squeal - when the moment comes, please may I have the shiny, smooth one? What brings on a moment of weakness for you, oh Dark Lightness?

Bechet45 said:
Oooooow! yes! - or however you spell a girlie squeal - when the moment comes, please may I have the shiny, smooth one? What brings on a moment of weakness for you, oh Dark Lightness?

I don't think it's 'weakness' as much as it is 'survival of the "fittest" here :)
I've been 'accumulating 40-50 razors and am now working my way through them - and having great fun doing so - but at the end of the year the plan is to really just keep 10-12 razors and sell off the rest. Still to be determined which 30-40 razors will be sold off though. Stay tuned :)

Back
Top Bottom