Sustainable Shaving - Product Design

Thank you for your time. I am doing a university project regarding sustainable shaving and was hoping for some input from users and professionals alike.

• What would you consider the boundaries to shaving with sustainable or non disposable razors to be?

• What can people do to be more sustainable with razors?

• What are the best products available that can help them to shave such as cream/butter/soaps?

• What is the best method of shaving for a beginner to start with?

• What are the issues with the positioning of the blade if any?

• What sort of blades are available and the pros and cons - DE (Double Edge) or SE (Single Edge)
I know that there are several different ‘standards' with SE compared to one with DE

“I am considering a product which enables users to use existing handles from Gillette cartridge based systems and add a SE or DE head to it. I feel this may combat some of the costs to starting this sort of shaving as well as uncertainty of starting a new technique, by using a handle they are comfortable with.”

• What would be your opinion on something like this? Problems or changes?

I also have a ~3 minute survey so I can gather some sort of wider view of people's views

https://forms.gle/8mA3mCevdEZsQktt5

Also if anyone feels like doing a phone interview that would be awesome!

Ta
Luke

My how times have changed. When I was in school this was my idea of "research"!! ;)

WMNvlah.jpg

For the first 2 questions, the local availability of non-disposable/non-plastic razors and related hardware, and perhaps less-so soaps, creams and post-shaves would be a boundary to sustainability. Many people on this forum will like to try new things and that involves ordering online and getting them delivered. I realise that almost everything we buy gets delivered from and to somewhere, but I image (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the retail supply chain where lots of things are delivered to a shop and you walk/cycle/take a bus to buy it would be more sustainable than individual product delivery to a home/office/etc. ?

I might be talking complete rubbish. The retail supply chain involves many middlemen which I haven't considered which ordering direct from a local artisan doesn't, but many of us don't shop that way. Feel free to shout at me (luckily no downvotes like Reddit :ROFLMAO:).

For the first 2 questions, the local availability of non-disposable/non-plastic razors and related hardware, and perhaps less-so soaps, creams and post-shaves would be a boundary to sustainability. Many people on this forum will like to try new things and that involves ordering online and getting them delivered. I realise that almost everything we buy gets delivered from and to somewhere, but I image (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the retail supply chain where lots of things are delivered to a shop and you walk/cycle/take a bus to buy it would be more sustainable than individual product delivery to a home/office/etc. ?

I might be talking complete rubbish. The retail supply chain involves many middlemen which I haven't considered which ordering direct from a local artisan doesn't, but many of us don't shop that way. Feel free to shout at me (luckily no downvotes like Reddit :ROFLMAO:).

I feel that is dead on. The amount of fuel required or even the packaging to send everyone blades individually would be astronomical. I'm also wondering because Gillette is so big it has more power to buy the shelf space in supermarkets and kinda push others out if they tried.
For the people who really care it would be possible to buy direct from a barber etc but for the majority who just want a quick shave, its not as accessible as it need to be (people are inherently lazy when buying things :(). Maybe its about lots of people asking managers of supermarkets/stores for DE blades etc and they might bring them in!
Thanks for the reply!

“I am considering a product which enables users to use existing handles from Gillette cartridge based systems and add a SE or DE head to it. I feel this may combat some of the costs to starting this sort of shaving as well as uncertainty of starting a new technique, by using a handle they are comfortable with.”

I think it would be much more straightforward for people to buy a complete DE razor, since designing a head compatible with the numerous modern Gillette handle models would be a nightmare, and in any case I don't rate many of these as being particularly pleasant to use. Although some DE/SE razor handles cost a lot (if hand machined from stainless steel or titanium, for example) very decent ones can be, and are, manufactured at little cost. Most sustainable, of course, would be to reuse the hundreds of thousands of old DE razors in existence.
Although primarily an SE user myself, I've opted for DE as being the most practical option re sustainability because the blades are easily available and there are few issues with compatibility. More sustainable still are straight razors, of course, but I suspect they would be a very hard sell for most consumers.

I think it would be much more straightforward for people to buy a complete DE razor, since designing a head compatible with the numerous modern Gillette handle models would be a nightmare, and in any case I don't rate many of these as being particularly pleasant to use. Although some DE/SE razor handles cost a lot (if hand machined from stainless steel or titanium, for example) very decent ones can be, and are, manufactured at little cost. Most sustainable, of course, would be to reuse the hundreds of thousands of old DE razors in existence.
Although primarily an SE user myself, I've opted for DE as being the most practical option re sustainability because the blades are easily available and there are few issues with compatibility. More sustainable still are straight razors, of course, but I suspect they would be a very hard sell for most consumers.
OK great, thanks for the feedback. I'm think DE will be easier as well as all the blades are the same.

• What would you consider the boundaries to shaving with sustainable or non disposable razors to be?

• What are the best products available that can help them to shave such as cream/butter/soaps?

• What sort of blades are available and the pros and cons - DE (Double Edge) or SE (Single Edge)
To answer some more of your questions, I think the main "boundary" to shaving with sustainable razors and blades is simply persuading people to do it.
To be more sustainable, people can use DE, SE or straight razors, and avoid buying multiple versions of these at considerable expense. Not that anybody on here would fall into this trap, of course.
There are scores if not hundreds of soaps and creams available, and nobody on here can agree which is the best. I'm not sure whether vegetable oil or lanolin-based products are more sustainable, but I'd guess that any containing palm oil would be frowned on. Some have less packaging than others, and can be stored during their useful lifetime in a mug, bowl, pot or other container which can be reused many times.
When my son started shaving I gave him a vintage Gillette Tech razor, a few packets of blades I believe were made in Russia, some shaving soap I didn't like the scent of and a synthetic bristle brush. Following a few minutes of instruction, he got the hang of using these items within two or three shaves.
Only one or two of my DE and SE razors (around 40 of them, maybe) present any problem with blade positioning. SE blades take a few moments to place correctly on some heads, but that's about it. I did have a DE razor which required me to mess about trying to get the blade exposure even, but I think that was a known design or manufacturing fault with that model.
I live in a small/medium sized market town and DE blades are available in at least three outlets. Some of these blades are quite decent, although not ones I use regularly. You can also buy them online for little more than £10 for 100, or maybe even less. I don't think I've ever seen SE blades in any shops, apart from one in London. However, I like SE blades because they feel sharper, are more rigid and last much longer than DE ones.

Thank you for your time. I am doing a university project regarding sustainable shaving and was hoping for some input from users and professionals alike.

Here we go:
Consider purchasing a used DE, SE or straight razor; readily available on shaving forums like this.
"Best" is subjective to each individual; with regard to greater sustainability purchasing a shaving soap or cream that is made in the country of residence may help sustainability. Most shaving creams and soaps are of a good standard and fit for purpose.
From a sustainability perspective, shaving with a DE razor over an individuals lifetime will save on plastic wastage associated with disposable cartridge razors.
Shaving with a DE or SE razor is a skill, but it is a gentle learning curve and acquired relatively quickly. Blade angle will depend on the razor.

• What sort of blades are available and the pros and cons - DE (Double Edge) or SE (Single Edge).
DE blade manufacturing continues in Japan, India, SE Asia, Europe, Russia and probably sother countries I can not recall. Personal preference is the main driver between choosing an SE or DE, although many with an interest have both.

Doubtful and dubious come to mind. Not persuaded that this idea would be successful I suspect the main barrier to uptake of DE shaving is (1) the marketing budget and patent protection on cartridge razors which afford manufacturers increased profit margins. (2) the extra skill and time required to use a DE razor (3) the greater risk of cuts and nicks from DE shaving especially when learning (4) the greater time required for shaving with a DE razor, although once learnt this is fairly marginal.

Trust the above is useful. A website with useful information is "Bruce on Shaving" his articles entitled "Escaping from the Dark Side - A Road Map" may prove helpful. Available here: https://www.bruceonshaving.com/2011/03/09/escaping-from-the-dark-side-a-road-map/

To answer some more of your questions, I think the main "boundary" to shaving with sustainable razors and blades is simply persuading people to do it.
To be more sustainable, people can use DE, SE or straight razors, and avoid buying multiple versions of these at considerable expense. Not that anybody on here would fall into this trap, of course.
There are scores if not hundreds of soaps and creams available, and nobody on here can agree which is the best. I'm not sure whether vegetable oil or lanolin-based products are more sustainable, but I'd guess that any containing palm oil would be frowned on. Some have less packaging than others, and can be stored during their useful lifetime in a mug, bowl, pot or other container which can be reused many times.
When my son started shaving I gave him a vintage Gillette Tech razor, a few packets of blades I believe were made in Russia, some shaving soap I didn't like the scent of and a synthetic bristle brush. Following a few minutes of instruction, he got the hang of using these items within two or three shaves.
Only one or two of my DE and SE razors (around 40 of them, maybe) present any problem with blade positioning. SE blades take a few moments to place correctly on some heads, but that's about it. I did have a DE razor which required me to mess about trying to get the blade exposure even, but I think that was a known design or manufacturing fault with that model.
I live in a small/medium sized market town and DE blades are available in at least three outlets. Some of these blades are quite decent, although not ones I use regularly. You can also buy them online for little more than £10 for 100, or maybe even less. I don't think I've ever seen SE blades in any shops, apart from one in London. However, I like SE blades because they feel sharper, are more rigid and last much longer than DE ones.
Thanks for the info and story. Really helpful :)

Here we go:
Consider purchasing a used DE, SE or straight razor; readily available on shaving forums like this.
"Best" is subjective to each individual; with regard to greater sustainability purchasing a shaving soap or cream that is made in the country of residence may help sustainability. Most shaving creams and soaps are of a good standard and fit for purpose.
From a sustainability perspective, shaving with a DE razor over an individuals lifetime will save on plastic wastage associated with disposable cartridge razors.
Shaving with a DE or SE razor is a skill, but it is a gentle learning curve and acquired relatively quickly. Blade angle will depend on the razor.

• What sort of blades are available and the pros and cons - DE (Double Edge) or SE (Single Edge).
DE blade manufacturing continues in Japan, India, SE Asia, Europe, Russia and probably sother countries I can not recall. Personal preference is the main driver between choosing an SE or DE, although many with an interest have both.

Doubtful and dubious come to mind. Not persuaded that this idea would be successful I suspect the main barrier to uptake of DE shaving is (1) the marketing budget and patent protection on cartridge razors which afford manufacturers increased profit margins. (2) the extra skill and time required to use a DE razor (3) the greater risk of cuts and nicks from DE shaving especially when learning (4) the greater time required for shaving with a DE razor, although once learnt this is fairly marginal.

Trust the above is useful. A website with useful information is "Bruce on Shaving" his articles entitled "Escaping from the Dark Side - A Road Map" may prove helpful. Available here: https://www.bruceonshaving.com/2011/03/09/escaping-from-the-dark-side-a-road-map/
Thanks for taking the time to reply in such depth. Really good insights here (y)

Here we go:

+1 to this

Back
Top Bottom