Struggling to shave

So I'm 16 years old and started shaving about a year and a half ago (electric) My sideburns and moustache area are easy enough to shave but everywhere else I'm struggling as it's too fine and almost wispy, luckily my hair is fine so you can't see it too much but it's annoying. Any tips for how to shave these parts?

Hi,

I would ditch the electric; look for some of the DE shaving tutorials on Youtube - learn from the masters :)

Preperation is key - look after your skin: a good brush; lather-up the soap/cream so you get good protection, lubrication and glide.

Try a bic disposable - no pressure, shave the foam - patience is key: don't aim to shave off all of your stubble - one pass at a time.

Don't go for the perfect shave - its beter to give up early than to over do it.

I also recommend looking at what people say on the forums; always something to learn.

Have fun.

If I was 16 again, I wish I started shaving with a DE razor, brush and soap.

All the best,

Chris

Avoid the DE, the learning curve is too steep for the return i.e. removal of peach fuzz. Do not use any cheap disposable, anything less than a Gillete Blue 2 will cut or cause weepers. Use a decent disposable, Gillette Sensor3, Blue3, Sensor Comfort or Mach3. Initially only use a shaving oil, so you can see where you going. Take it nice and slow, map your growth, watch the videos, and don't go against the grain. Make sure, you have a styptic pencil, alum bar, after shave and balm.

At 16 and for peach fuzz I'd also recommend a decent cartridge or disposable. I wasn't impressed with shave oil when I tried it and preferred gel but that was a long time ago and it may have improved since then. IMO you ony need a styptic pencil in case you get a nick and some balm, Nivea is supposed to be good. When I was your age it was a Gillette Sensor and a can of gel and that was it.

I started with a DE. First razor was a twin head Phillips electric. It didn't work. After two weeks I walked round to Boots and picked up a Wilkinson Sword classic, matching soap bowl and brush. Got my Dad to show me how to use them. That was over 30 years ago.

Easier to learn DE shaving with peach fuzz as a teenager. You don't have the hassle of tuff stubble. Both my son's use DEs. They had no problems.

My teenaged son uses a Gillette Guard razor most of the time. It has a single blade, like a DE razor, but in a very simple cartridge format. It's easy to use and works well for him. The Guard is made for the Indian market and can't be found in UK shops, but it's easy to buy online and is cheap as chips.
He's also used one of my pre-war Gillette Tech DE razors and liked the results and "cool" factor, but found it took a lot more time to shave with.

Most young bucks today don't shave at all, using instead those electric clippers sold at retail stores. I would have used them as well if something like that was available when I was that age back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom