strop or not

Hi guys

Just out of interest

What is the difference between a strop and a leather belt. If there are no diffrences apart from visual is it possible to strop a razor without damaging the blade.

Thanks
Matt

The way I look at it, a strop and a belt can be made from leather. A strop will be an appropriate width and length to make it an effective tool for sharpening a blade. And it will have a convenient grip and fitting to make it easy to hold and use. Stropping is a skill. So best to use taylor made equipment. But having said that, a few old time cowboys might disagree. But we have moved on.

I'm sure Neil has much more to say about this than I do, but belts do not do as good a job as strops, in general, and I would imagine the sheer lack of smoothness of many belts, not to mention dyes and coatings on belts, could easily ruin a delicate razor's edge.

With that said, I have used my belt for my EDC, and even used the leather on my Birkenstock shoes after using the concrete curb, and it will work in the field, but I would not attempt to shave with those edges. Stropping takes what you have and makes it better, but if you have a #600 edge and strop, you have a "clean" #600 edge, not a miraculous 30K edge - unless you use a loaded strop(s).

I wonder what the factor of sweat has on the performance of a belt as a strop, though.....

jendeindustries said:
I'm sure Neil has much more to say about this than I do, but belts do not do as good a job as strops, in general, and I would imagine the sheer lack of smoothness of many belts, not to mention dyes and coatings on belts, could easily ruin a delicate razor's edge.

With that said, I have used my belt for my EDC, and even used the leather on my Birkenstock shoes after using the concrete curb, and it will work in the field, but I would not attempt to shave with those edges. Stropping takes what you have and makes it better, but if you have a #600 edge and strop, you have a "clean" #600 edge, not a miraculous 30K edge - unless you use a loaded strop(s).

I wonder what the factor of sweat has on the performance of a belt as a strop, though.....

Thanks Tom,

As you rightly say, a purpose-made item is generally the best thing for the job, but you can make do with an amazing variety of materials if you have a mind to. Having said that, until you have a benchmark of some sort you won't know whether your belt is performing better or worse than a proper strop.

Like Tom says, some leather finishes - chrome tanning for instance - aren't really suitable. What you want is a plainly finished belt, with nothing used as a filler to hide the grain or promote a smooth surface. Dyes that pentrate the leather are OK, though, as are waxed or oiled finishes. It also wants to be firm enough to resist stretching when pulled taut - which I suppose most belts are.

The problems I can forsee involve marks on the surface (small marks and tiny blemishes are of no account) and distortion, primarily caused by the belt loops - these tend to 'cup' the leather, pulling the edges over so that the centre is lower and the razor does not make adequate contact. If not too severe, that can be remedied by manipulating the leather and/or saddle-soaping and reconditioning.

If in doubt, why not try it - what have you got to lose? It's not going to tear chunks of steel out of the razor and if you are not too shrek-handed you won't cut your belt in half. You could always suspend the belt by the buckle (or if it slips about puch a hole in it and pass a thong through it) and just hold it near the buckle holed end (lots of old strops were just cut flat and had no handle).

I did once cut myself a latigo belt for stropping while travelling, but it soon deformed too much for my liking. Still a nice belt, though!

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom