Straight thoughts

Hello there, I have been on the forum a wee while ( use DE all the time now)

I have been given a straight razor (vintage) in a box.

It is square pointed, and the cross section appears (when looked at end on) to be hollow ground On the right side, and flat on the left giving the appearance it is curved from left to right.

The spine width measures .2" or 5mm on the digital calipers.

It has Blackwood scales with the numbers 278 stamped on the inside.

The tang is marked "Gerrard & Co, 46a & 48 Pentonville Road, London N1"
It came in a box marked "Made in Sheffield, England" assuming it is the original box.

It has a small amount of pitting on the back (flat) edge mainly.

I will post pictures later, but can anyone say if it is worth having restored, and what would be the realistic cost of this (and by whom)

Is it a decent straight for someone to try for the first time and also, what equipment (and at what cost) do I need to keep it useable?

I will post pictures when I get time, but look forward to your advice.

Cheers,

Cyril

From the grind it sounds like a microtome - they were used for slicing human/animal tissue hence the straight edge one side. I've never fancied shaving with one myself although I'm sure people have.

UKRob said:
From the grind it sounds like a microtome - they were used for slicing human/animal tissue hence the straight edge one side. I've never fancied shaving with one myself although I'm sure people have.

The tang does have the curved little finger rest, I am fairly certain it is shaving straight, my description, however, may have misled. I shall photograph it and post them... Possibly tomorrow.

Any idea of restoration/honing costs. And what equipment I would need to maintain it, and at what cost?

Regards,

Cyril

Well, if you described the grind correctly (flat on one side and hollow on the other) Rob's right on the money... I've got a couple but never tried to shave with them, but it should be doable (kamisories has that kindish asymetric grind and shaves well) ... Good luck!

Fear not the microtome (if that is what it is) friend of mine got one and I honed it not even realising it was a microtome. I used one layer of tape and honed as per normal, I did wonder why the bevel was deeper on one side than the other :)

Anyway...I gave it a test shave before returning it and it was a great shave and he agree's saying it's one of he's best shavers!

More info...

T Gerrard & Co.
Biologists LTD
46 & 48 Pentonville Road
London N1

According to Brian Bracegirdle - in "Microscopical Mounts and Mounters" the company moved to Preston, Angmering, Sussex as Gerrard & Haig Ltd in the 1970's. Later they were aquired by Griffin & George, before that firm was itself taken over by Fisons Scientific.

I own a ED Close Microtome and honed it carefully. I shaved with it recently and it was a fine shave.. I found it a little prickly, but I think that a few laps on the strop would have helped. Still, nothing wrong with it as a razor. As one member pointed out, the kamisori I own is also flat on the one side. There is no reason not to shave with a microtome.

lighterness said:
I own a ED Close Microtome and honed it carefully. I shaved with it recently and it was a fine shave.. I found it a little prickly, but I think that a few laps on the strop would have helped. Still, nothing wrong with it as a razor. As one member pointed out, the kamisori I own is also flat on the one side. There is no reason not to shave with a microtome.

Wow! Expected a wee bit of info, but you straight blokes "so to speak" know your stuff!

Thank's all of you, for the information.

I did wonder how easy it would be to shave with I, as it is only really able to be used one side.

Maybe I should pass it on and buy something a little easier to use, as a newbie.

Thanks again.

Hairsuite said:
I did wonder how easy it would be to shave with I, as it is only really able to be used one side.

Maybe I should pass it on and buy something a little easier to use, as a newbie.

Thanks again.
Just because it's not hollow on both sides doesn't mean you can't use them both - if you image the traditional wedge shape that was the norm before hollow grinding, then it's just the same.

If you want some idea of restoration costs you'll need to take some photos but I think you said there was some rusting around the edge - that may be a downside.

UKRob is probably right. When shaving you're shaving with the edge of the razor not the whole bevel. So a flat sided straight would be the same as using a SE Blade razor(?) yes?

Hello everybody, sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but it does seem appropriate as I have been given a similar razor by a friend on the passing of his father, who spent most of his working life as a hospital storeman.

My razor is marked T Gerrard & Co Ltd.

The blade is the same profile as the one described by Hairsuite, but has some minor chipping on the edge and an uneven grind where it has been inexpertly sharpened.

It has fake ivory coloured plastic scales, but the blade is well centred and the pin is still nice and tight.

Are these at all rare (I'm guessing not)?

I really don't know what to do with it. What are your thoughts please?

Not Trying to Be Funny...But...If its a Microtome Grind...They Can Vary Vastly in Quality of Steel...They are Quite Common for Medical Shaving Use in the Past..They are Also Quite Common UK EBay...I Avoid Em Like the Plague... But Hey..Each to their Own..:cool:

Billy

Not Trying to Be Funny...But...If its a Microtome Grind...They Can Vary Vastly in Quality of Steel...They are Quite Common for Medical Shaving Use in the Past..They are Also Quite Common UK EBay...I Avoid Em Like the Plague... But Hey..Each to their Own..:cool:

Billy

Thanks Billy, I strongly suspect it's not worth the time or effort to get it restored. I'm tempted to retire it to the great shaving cabinet in the sky (my recycling bin), but don't know how much of a heathen that would make me.

And ... that's where this (old?) razor is sitting right now - in my recycling bin. Before the collection crew arrives, am I doing a bad thing? Or like Frozen, should I just let it go?

Personally i'd probably keep it, if for nothing else other than a curiosity. That said i struggle to throw anything away as my wife would testify to :rolleyes: so i may not be the best person to offer an opinion. At the end of the day you've got to do whats right for you, you could drop it off at a charity shop instead of chucking it.

Back
Top Bottom