Straight Razor suggestions

Hi all,

I'm looking for a few suggestions as to a decent razor or two to buy which I can use to practice honing and shaving with?

I have a TI that came ‘shave ready' from executive shaving.

I also have a Hayreddin from Barbarossa Brothers.

Neither of which I want to ruin. They shave well enough and stropping seems to be going well enough so far.

I have a 3,8 &12k stone, a full range of lapping films, balsa blocks and have felt, green, red and diamond paste on the way.

Open to all suggestions. The Gold Dollar W59 seems like an obvious choice, as do other GDs, however a ‘vintage' English or German would be nice too. Or all of the above.

Any/all advice appreciated.

Steven

i bought a couple of vintage Sheffield steel razors from eBay when I started honing, about £20-£30 each. Don't buy anything too far gone because you haven't got a 1k stone for bevel setting (Unless you have a bevel setting film?).
I went for the Sheffield's because they are very likely to take a good edge if your honing is going in the right direction whereas the GD's can be a right pain in the balls and some will never take a good edge (from my experience).

i bought a couple of vintage Sheffield steel razors from eBay when I started honing, about £20-£30 each. Don't buy anything too far gone because you haven't got a 1k stone for bevel setting (Unless you have a bevel setting film?).
I went for the Sheffield's because they are very likely to take a good edge if your honing is going in the right direction whereas the GD's can be a right pain in the balls and some will never take a good edge (from my experience).

Thanks for this, Hunt.

Can I ask, did you literally just type ‘vintage sheffield straight razor' into ebay?

And when you say ‘too far gone' what exactly do you mean?

I don't have a 1k, but I can buy one.

I much prefer the idea of a Sheffield to a GD, so (that's) a plus.

I also plan to buy one from Billy's ebay account as most of the posts agree that it will give me an idea of a truly shave ready edge.

Thanks for this, Hunt.

Can I ask, did you literally just type ‘vintage sheffield straight razor' into ebay?

And when you say ‘too far gone' what exactly do you mean?

I don't have a 1k, but I can buy one.

I much prefer the idea of a Sheffield to a GD, so (that's) a plus.

I also plan to buy one from Billy's ebay account as most of the posts agree that it will give me an idea of a truly shave ready edge.
If you type vintage straight razors into eBay you will see lots of Sheffield steel razors are likely to pop up. I bought a couple that looked in decent shape I.e. not full of rust, chips etc... and practiced my honing on them.
I would agree with others that buying a good save ready (I have also bought from billy) isn't a bad idea so you have a benchmark.

seems like you have more than enough gear and just need some razors to practice on.

If you type vintage straight razors into eBay you will see lots of Sheffield steel razors are likely to pop up. I bought a couple that looked in decent shape I.e. not full of rust, chips etc... and practiced my honing on them.
I would agree with others that buying a good save ready (I have also bought from billy) isn't a bad idea so you have a benchmark.

seems like you have more than enough gear and just need some razors to practice on.

I've bought everything other than the razors and am browsing ebay at the minute.

Lockdown is driving me to purchase quicker than I usually would. The alternative is listening to the wife all day long...

Thanks for the input!

Sheffield steel has the softer steel compared to others. They are easier to hone, but might require more of an upkeep, as in refreshing them more often. They provide a great shave though..
If you stay away from the sought after ones, you can have a great bargain...

I've bought everything other than the razors and am browsing ebay at the minute.

Lockdown is driving me to purchase quicker than I usually would. The alternative is listening to the wife all day long...

Thanks for the input!
Haha I know that feeling mate, I've already rehoned all my shave ready razors for the peace and quiet.
Good luck on your honing endeavour, it seems so confusing at first but really isn't once you get the knack

Have ordered a naniwa 1k from TIE and 2 gold dollars from ebay so will start playing around once they arrive.

I'm keeping an eye on ebay uk and eu listings for vintage razors too; mainly Sheffield and Solingen for anything that wouldnt require too much work.

There are plenty of vintage razors from the USSR, Sweden and France. What‘s the general consensus regarding these?

I really don't need to be buying anything else at this stage, so just having a glance every few days but for the sake of honing practice and a cheap shave...

Back
Top Bottom