Souplex OC razor

Hi all.
I just bought one off ebay.
I've heard mixed reports about how aggressive they are.
Anyone else a fan of them, or got any comments?
I'll update the thread once mine arrives and I've given it a run.

Last edited:
Well it's here but I haven't summoned the bravery to use it yet.
It's light at 42g and small at exactly 3 inches.
Wildly varying reports on t'internet about how aggressive this is.
More so than an R41 or like an open comb Tech?
Hmmmm.... we shall see.

DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0010.JPGDSC_0006.JPG

I have this exact one, and it's very like an Old Type in efficiency, since it pretty much is an Old Type anyway. So around Rockwell #4. I use it with a heavier handle which I recommend - I use a Yaqi Matte Black handle which is a very good match. It's a very good shave at a total weight of around 90g. I find the original handle far too light to be useful.

Back in 2015 I acquired a (NOS ?) Souplex:

uZb7aqS.jpg

KI6EIEX.jpg

TiW3V3F.jpg

mxe7FqI.jpg

It is a very nice Old Type copy - effective and mild.
Mine has a uncommon threadsize: M5x0.75 instead of "normal" M5x0.8

I like the Souplex so much that I asked @RedHorseman to make a special aluminum handle:

FMkVhNP.jpg

Just recently I ordered a titanium handle from Stork Razors ...

Hi Guys,

I acquired a Souplex razor as part of a job lot and and you inspired me to give it a try this morning. It has an odd handle - it almost looks like a ball end Tech handle, but was black (the paint has mosly worn off). I can't read it well, but near the end of the handle it has some Pat. Pending verbiage. Anyway, I put a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow in it (3rd use) and it was a pleasant shave. It felt about like a Gillette adjustable on 3. I actually think my son has been using it since there was a blade in it already. I wouldn't mind finding a better (heavier) handle for it, but it's perfectly fine as is.

_T

OK. Here's a pic of my Souplex head on what appears to be a Gillette handle (no idea why it's painted black). The handle says "Brit Pat NOS 3929756-363892, which I think indicates a Gillette New. Any thoughts?

IMG-2994.JPG

I shaved with my Souplex OC a few days ago and it's pretty aggressive for such a light (42g) razor.
I used a very light touch and fairly shallow angle, went for 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) when looking back 2 would have been enough!
No razor bumps, cuts or weepers, but I had some irritation at the base of my neck which I only get with really aggressive razors.
Thankfully the irritation only lasted about 30 minutes after applying my witch hazel splash.

I'd say it's about as aggressive as my 1912 Old Type.

Used mine this morning too. I've put a different handle on too. I'll do a SOTD. I don't find the Souplex outrageously agressive, but there's something nice about the way it clamps the blade. It's the only OC I've used so far. I wouldn't mind picking up a NEW at some point...

Back
Top Bottom