SOTY awards 2019

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
This past weekend saw the BBC have their annual 'Sports personality of the year' award with the winner being the man who managed to make even those not enthrawled with the game of cricket (me) sit glued to the TV, Ben Stokes. Good choice.

So what about a 'Your Shaving personality of the year'? Any item or items which have made your shaving experience all the better throughout this past year.

It could be a single product, a piece of advise, a person, technique or something you found out for yourself. Absolutely anything.

No eventual winner and no awards ceremony to endure.

I'll start with my pick of this past year and first up is this fine piece of craftsmanship....

IMG_20191218_212426.jpg

Obtained in an exchange on the BST section and from the offset it changed my thoughts about razors. A razor this big and with this kind of weight shouldn't feel comfortable, but it does. To look at it gives the impression it is aggressive beyond aggressive, but it is just so sweet and amazinly tactile to use. Other than all that it just delivers one great shave after another and re-introduced Feather blades back in to my life. A superb bit of kit.

A special mention for @BrianH and his signature Soaps. For a relatively new kid on the block Brian has managed to make a sledgehammer impact. Not through being pushy but simply producing a really super product which speaks for itself. I haven't seen one unfavourable word and praise from one end of the planet to the other. Keep up the great work Signature Soaps.

One final mention 'Cold water'. Simple and changed my shaves forever.

After selling my first one many moons ago I bought another and reacquainted myself with the Feather AS-D2 and the Feather Hi Stainless blade, a match made in heaven.
This very well made razor is mild whilst being very efficient with a Feather blade and never fails to give me BBS shaves.
So my nomination for razor of all time goes to the Feather AS-D2 and the Feather Hi Stainless blade.
:) P.

I've chosen products that were new in 2019. The picture may look like a SOTD but it captures something from each category:

IMG_20191219_213535.jpg

Razor: EJ 3one6 - it's British, looks amazing and I really enjoy the shave it gives.

Brush: similar to @FrankieG I think Yaqi have been a stand out this year. Great synthetic brushes at great prices. My favourite is the Purple Haze Mew Brown.

Soap: @BrianH may have been producing this prior to 2019 bit Signature Soaps have been a revelation and it's probably fair to say the awareness of these has peaked in the latter part of 2019. My favourite is Hibernia.

Pre-shave: I love the Proraso pre-shave creams. Last month saw the arrival of the Blue pre-shave. Same great performance but with a nicer modern scent.

I've chosen products that were new in 2019. The picture may look like a SOTD but it captures something from each category:

View attachment 49858

Razor: EJ 3one6 - it's British, looks amazing and I really enjoy the shave it gives.

Brush: similar to @FrankieG I think Yaqi have been a stand out this year. Great synthetic brushes at great prices. My favourite is the Purple Haze Mew Brown.

Soap: @BrianH may have been producing this prior to 2019 bit Signature Soaps have been a revelation and it's probably fair to say the awareness of these has peaked in the latter part of 2019. My favourite is Hibernia.

Pre-shave: I love the Proraso pre-shave creams. Last month saw the arrival of the Blue pre-shave. Same great performance but with a nicer modern scent.

Nice selection of items, but you are missing on blades! How does the Mew Brown compare to their other synth knots eg Plissoft & Tuxedo?

I've bought a fair few bits and pieces this year. My favourites are the following.

Razors - Fat Handle/Ball End Tech
Brush - Omega 11819
Soap - Signature Soaps
Blade - Gillette Winner

Not the most exciting picks, but I've come to appreciate I'm a man of simple tastes with a Tech, shaving soap stick & boar brush being the items I seem to frequent the most. A special mention to Brian's Signature Soaps that are truly exceptional.

Nice selection of items, but you are missing on blades! How does the Mew Brown compare to their other synth knots eg Plissoft & Tuxedo?
I thought about blades but couldn't think of any that came to the market in 2019. If I think of the three stand out blades for me in 2019, they're probably:

Gillette Silver Blues - I was expecting these to be overhyped but they're very very good
Treet Platinum - A really good blade that has excelled in every razor they've been used in
Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium - How are they so good AND so cheap!?!?

Back
Top Bottom