SOTD: Saturday 4th January - Friday 10th January 2020.

SOTD : 4th January 2020.

e.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Imperial Leather ~ Sea Minerals & Black Mint Shower Gel.

Pre:

Warm wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Transparent Soap.

Brush: Omega Midget.

Face Lather.

Soap : Proraso White.

Razor: Gillette Guard. (1)

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade Lavender + Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Superdrug ~ Forest Fresh ASL.

Creightons ~ Sensitive PSB.

Greetings,

First saturday of 2020 and a new shave set up to start the weekend.

Yesterday as i was looking through my shaving assortments, picking out my coming week SOTD set ups and i noticed the Gillette guard which i've only use on rare occasions.Anyway i mentioned in my previous posting i intended in 2020 to add shaving soft & hardware which i've neglected for a long time so, for my up and coming SOTD's this week i'll be using the Gillette Guard as my razor of choice.

When i first started to fully shave my head and before i had the confidence to shave with a DE or SE razor my choice razor of was the gillette guard which are made in india for Gillette .It's the only cartridge razor i still occasionally use normally for shaving the back of my neck or a quick no fuss shave.My first maiden shave with it felt like i was shaving with a potato peeler due to it's tilting head, but what i really like about is it doesn't clog up due to it been open comb and having a large blade gap, one of the few if any open comb single edge cartridge razors on the market. It's excellent for tight spots and problem areas. My only crit's are it's I find it struggles when doing a ATG pass, but it's designed and manufactured for quickness to give a presentable acceptable one pass WTG fuss-free shave. because the razor is made of plastic it isn't eco-friendly or recyclable like a de & se blades are ,and it's very light making it 'Top heavy',but that's expected considering what it costs to make, 'you're not going to get a shave from it like a DE or a SE razor granted, but it's not bad, the overall shave performance from this one-blade cartridge razor gives a"socially acceptable shave".

The GG is easy to adjust to when shaving with it...I can normally get 3-6 combined face & head 3 pass + pick ups shaves.From one cartridge/head, i consider this excellent value,especially for head shaving. It's a ideal travel razor, or when your in need of a quick no fuss can't be arsed presentable face or head shave...I wouldn't replace it for my DE or SE razors, but i recommend giving a try if having the opportunity to do so...Enough said.

A very enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups DFS with no errors to report.

Finishing to the shave off with a generous dollop of Crieghtons ~ Sensitive PSB.

My face is feeling smooth and smelling devine. ;)

Enjoy the first saturday of 2020 ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
Date:- 04 January 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Tea Tree
Razor/Blade:- Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic / Personna PTFE Coated Injector #7
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

04/01/20
Pre: Pears Original Transparent
Brush: JR #291
Soap: OSP Orange and Patchouli
Razor: Karve SB - C Stainless
Blade: Gillette Rubie (3)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Cinnamon & Patchouli Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: OSP Orange and Patchouli

1. Sat a.JPG

Only 2 passes required for a DFS+ Finish.
I am really enjoying the smoothness of this Karve razor.
Enjoy your weekend All

Today's shave:

rdt200104xljgv.jpg

- Stirling Frankincense & Myrrh
- Zenith Manchurian
- Game Changer .68 with Feather blade
- Denim Original aftershave

:)

Saturday 4th January

Clubman Shave Butter (Pre Shave)
Stirling Glacial Wintergreen Soap
Alexander Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic Brush
Schick I1 with a Proline B
Simple Facial Toner
Nivea 2Phase AS

As I have had a really bad cold for a few days I decided I needed some Wintergreen and Menthol to clear my head!
Simpson Brushes appear to be branching out with their branding. There are Simpson Brushes with the decal, Simpsons Brushes which have printed handles and Alexander Simpson Brushes which are their lower end Synthetics. Today's brush is actually very nice. A knot size similar to the Chubby2 Synthetic with Soverign Fibre, no glue bump and no stated place of Origin. The handle is beautiful!.

3 passes for a lovely shave....not perfect as I find most menthol soaps to be quite drying.....but at least I can breath again!

4/1/20

Brush - Yaqi Rainbow
Soap - MWF
Razor - Ball End Tech
Blade - Voskhod (1)
Post - Alum
AS - Benjamin's Bay Rum Mentholated

After yesterday's shave which wasn't great, I thought it would be a good idea to go to a time tested combination of BE Tech and Voskhod which with a nice slick MWF produced delightful results for the first 2 passes but on the third pass I applied a bit too much pressure and picked up a couple of nasty weepers under the lip. Even with a very smooth blade if technique gets a bit ramshackle then mistakes happen!

Anyway chaps, have a good Saturday/Weekend.

C3547899-D4CC-4245-A103-8134E644C24C.jpeg

SOTD 01/04/20

This morning I reached for a rare French razor, the Spadson, and decided to mount the head on a RazoRock Bulldog handle. My shaves with the razor in the past have been satisfactory, but I always found the original handle to be too small, and oddly awkward in use. I really like the size, heft and knurling on the RR. As I began my shave, I realized that I really liked the balance this new combination provided. The Spadson is a highly efficient tool with a lot of blade feel. It seems comparable to a Gibbs at setting 6 or my Ambassador at about 8. I kept things relatively technical at first, riding the cap for that first pass and avoiding long sweeping strokes. I was amazed at the closeness of the shave on that first pass. There remained only a few spots along my jawline and under my chin that needed cleaning up. The Alum block revealed a bit of warmth on my right cheek where I started the shave, but otherwise, a fine BBS. I kept the dome shave to one pass, mostly out of respect for the cutting power of this razor. I maintained the same approach used on my face, but was tentative about the back of my head, and ended up with nick requiring the styptic. This was not the razor's fault, but rather attributable to the arthritis in my hands and shoulders. The result was still a DFS on the noggin. The MWF provided a great protective, slick surface throughout the shave. I realized afterwards that I spent about the same amount of time with my one and a half pass shave as I normally spend with my regular three pass. The Spadson is easily the most aggressive/efficient non-adjustable razor I own, definitely not a daily driver, but will go into the rotation. I feel clean, smooooth, and refreshed!

RAZOR: Spadson head w/ RR Bulldog handle
BLADE: Suneko
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by PAA's Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell's Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brushsqueezings followed by Thayers LavenderWH and finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime

Prep: Bath
Pre shave: Proraso White
Brush: Big Jock Silvertip
Shaving Cream: Edwin Jagger lime and pomegranate (sample)
Scuttle: QShave
Razor/Blade: Merkur Futur/ Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow (4)
ASL: Saponificio Varesino Special Edition Cubebe

3 pass shave with the Futur (3,2,1) giving a very smooth finish. This was my 4th shave with this razor and after the first shave have not had a problem shaving under my nose despite the bulk of the futur head. And I love the auditory feedback from this razor.

Back
Top Bottom