SOTD: Saturday 15th to Friday 21th of 2020

Date:- 15 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Bay Rum
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #14
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

SOTD : 15th February 2020.

i.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower: Imperial Leather ~ Sea Minerals & Black Mint Shower Gel.

Pre:

Warm wet flannel to my face.

Wrights ~ Traditional Cold Tar Soap.

Brush: Yaqi 24mm Naples Synthetic.

Bowl Lather.

Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Uber/Superlather: Williams Mug Shaving Soap. + G F. Trumpers Violet Shaving cream.

Blade: Gillette Winner. (1)

Razor: Parker ~ 55SL Semi-Slant.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade Lavender, eucalyptus + Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Geoffrey Beene ~ Grey Flannel ASL.

Creightons ~ Sensitive PSB.

Greetings,

A new shave set up to start the weekend...Which i'm making a uber/superlather week,and using another Indian made de blade.

Recently i received a message from honourable member of TSR Chris , aka @Boycie83 offering me a PIF of shaving creams & soap as he was having a shaving den clearance of items that he wanted to move on...Anyway, i accepted the kind PIF offer which consisted of the following...Edwin Jagger Lime & Pomegranate Shaving Cream,G F. Trumpers Violet Shaving cream, and some Van Der Hagen Glycerin Mango Luxury Shaving Soap, of which i've added to my SOTDs this week.

Starting off with a maiden shave using the G F. Trumper Violet shaving cream which I think is a very good shaving cream, with a unique, fantastic scent,mixing only a small amount together with the humble Williams Mug Shaving Soap creating a excellent Uber/Superlather with a equally superb post shave feel.

It's been a long time since i last gave my parker 55SL semi-slant razor a outing totally forgetting how much of a wonderfully non-aggressive yet efficiently smooth this indian made razor is.Paired with the gillette winner blade made a wonderful indian made shaving product match mowing through my stubble with effortless ease..I intend to use the 55SL for a full week soon to give this indian princess more use & attention it rightly deserves.

A very smooth efficient duo resulting in a 3 pass + picks BBS shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off in style with a generous Dollop of Creightons ~ Sensitive PSB.

My face is feeling super smooth and smelling devine. ;)

Enjoy the start of the weekend ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Last edited:
Today's shave:

rdt200215nhjyl.jpg

- MacDuff's Soap Co. Whyte Saffron
- Nightdiver's Dark Horse
- Fatip Testina Gentile with ASP blade
- Brummel aftershave

:)

Pre-shave: Cold Derbyshire Tap Water, Proraso Green Pre Shave Cream
Brush: Razorock Bruce Synthetic
Cream: Trumpers Rose (sample)
Razor: Merkur Progress. Set to 2.5, then 1 for the touching up
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Post/After-shave: Shower, Cold Water Splash, Floid Black, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

The Astra love affair rages on, I'm hooked now.

Trumpers Rose was excellent, scent unfortunately overpowered by the green pres-shave. A lovely shave though.

Enjoy your weekend

15 February

St. James Black Pepper and Lime
Cadman M55 30mm Tuxedo
Rex Ambassador (2)
Feather Hi-stainless
Proraso white asb
YSL Y

9AFB0794-C655-4A73-9254-95472151534C.jpeg

On my last shave with the Rex I noticed the drag that some other owners have mentioned concerning this razor in the forum. I swapped out the Personna med prep for a Feather and this time...no drag. An excellent, close, smooth two pass shave was the result.

3EDB288A-31B5-4640-B556-213C45FF2CD9.jpeg

SOTD 02/15/20

The mantra in the 30 Day Concentration (30DC) thread at The Shave Den (TSD) is “technique trumps tools”. My concentration this month has been the daily use of MWF. After discovering my grail razor (LaResche 51) and experiencing 7 consecutive,bloodless, irritation-free BBS shaves, I'vealso noticed that my face and dome surfacesappear shiny, soft and well-hydrated. Twoshaves with the LaResche 77 yielded much the same result albeit with some minimal heat. So I asked myself, if soap used is partof our technique, how much of my shave results should I attribute to the daily use ofmy favorite soap?

To test this theory I decided to use my 115 yr old Gillette Single Ring. This old girl'snickname is “The Weeper Maker”. She always delivers a very close shave, but I've never escaped without at least one weeper. In order to maintain at least the semblance of consistency, I loaded the same blade I'vebeen using, a Wizamet Super Iridium, a relatively sharp and smooth blade from my remaining stash of 200 original Polish blades.

The Viking Silvertip Badger brush generated its usual thick MWF paste. Thispaste was applied to the shaving surfaces and then face and head lathered with sufficient amounts of warm water over the prior scrub of the those surfaces with PAA'sCube Preshave Soap.

I then picked up “The Weeper Maker” and launched into the first WTG pass. She sang through that first whisker reduction with aplomb. A careful examination afterwardsrevealed no blood on either dome or noggin. I relathered and completed my second XTG pass with no blood and someminimal roughness in the usual spots - theAdam's Apple and the middle of the back ofmy head.

Now I asked myself, should I tempt fate? I decided to only lather the two rough spots for some ATG buffing. I proceeded gentlyand carefully to bloodlessly eliminate the roughness. A check with the alum blockupon completion yielded some slightstinging in the back of the head and noirritation at all around the troublesome Adam's Apple! Unbelievable! More powerto MWF! I feel clean, smooth and refreshed!

RAZOR: Gillette Single Ring 1905 Vintage
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA's Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell's Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brushsqueezings followed by Thayers LavenderWH and finished with Fine AccoutrementsLavender Pour Homme AS Splash

15/02/20
Pre: Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush: JR #291 Tuxedo
Soap: Arran Machrie
Razor: Colonial General V2 Stainless
Blade: Feather PB (4)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Witch Hazel
Balm: Arran Machrie
Aftershave: Arran Machrie

Wk8 (1).JPG

A bit of a late post today as i am having a lazy day off as its the start of a weeks holiday.
I used the Arran Soap Co. Machrie today and i really enjoyed it, therefore, for the rest this week Both Lochranza & Machrie sets will be used.
The JR Tuxedo #291 made short work of the soap producing a lovely slick lather, it has a good strong backbone and feel to it.
The General delivers a brilliant shave every time paired with the Feather.
The soap has a great post shave feeling for me and the lightly scented balm and aftershave finished off the shave.
Enjoy your weekend All

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom