SOTD: Saturday 15th -Friday 21st June 2019.

SOTD: 15TH JUNE 2019.

1.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ L'OREAL ~ Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Lemon Flower Extracts Transparent Soap.

Brush: Frank Shaving ~ Synthetic.

Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Bowl Lather.

Soap: Phoenix & Beau ~ Sanskrit.

Blade: Derby Premium.(1)

Razor: Muhle R41.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade menthol crystals +Eucalyptus peppermint,+ Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./Proraso ~ Sandalwood ASL.

Aloe Vera Gel.

Greetings,

A new shave set up to start the weekend...Second outing of the Derby Premium, which were kindly passed on to me by a mate. My previous maiden shave with them was a success...

After after having a very horrible experience with a derby extra blade when i first ventured in to the wonderful world of traditional wet shaving which resulted in giving me a nasty bite i was a little apprehensive about using the derby premium on it's maiden shave,but after the first few strokes i gained my shaving confidence very quickly because i now know if a blade is suited to my skin type or not in a few seconds the derby premium i find very smooth with no tuggy issues with a sharp efficient edge, which was completely different to it's sibling the Derby Extra which isn't the sharpest or the smoothest blade to shave with,however i can't really condemn the derby extra blades as i may have bought a dodgy batch or more to the fact it was probably my lack of technique and shaving confidence that resulted in me having a horrible experience with them in my early introduction to traditional wet shaving...'A bad worker always blames his tools'.

The derby premium matched up superbly with my R41,with the lightest of touch both the razor & blade was a smooth duo slicing through my stubble with effortless ease... At first glance i'll be honest and thought they where just re-packaged derby extra's, how wrong we i was, ok they will never be my favourite de blades, and it's a classic case of 'YMMV', but as the saying goes, 'don't knock something, until you've tried it'. Another surprisingly smooth comfortable shave, from the makers of probably the most love/hate DE razor blades on the market in the traditional wet shaving world.

A comfortable 3 pass + pick ups near bbs shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous dollop of Aloe Vera Gel.

My face is feeling super smooth and smelling old school devine. ;)
;)

Enjoy the start of the weekend, ladies & gentlemen.
:cool:

Last edited:
Saturday 15th June

The Sudsy Soapery ‘Top O' The Morning'
Semogue Owners Club Badger
Gillette Fatboy
Polsilver Łódź
Humphreys Witch Hazel

The soap was another gift from the generous @Boru62. Kevin and I are both big fans of The Sudsy Soapery products and this one didn't disappoint. A rich, thick and very slick lather with excellent post-shave qualities - what's not to like? Well the name of the soap maybe. Have a great weekend gents.
Cheers Kevin.

6AA8986E-F7C2-462D-8401-2194E5BF2171.jpeg

image.jpeg

Shave Of The Day. 15th June

Prep ~ Shower, MWF bath soap
Razor ~ Feather AS-D2
Blade ~ Kai
Soap ~ MWF
Brush ~Semogue AF 2016 LE Badger
Post ~ Argan oil
Scent ~ Boellis ~ Panama 1924 EdT

Still reacquainting myself with the AS-D2 and finding out what is the best blade for me with this razor, today's shave was a good one.

Have a great weekend.............P.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

SOTD: 15TH JUNE 2019.

View attachment 44736

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ L'OREAL ~ Birch Sap Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Lemon Flower Extracts Transparent Soap.

Brush: Frank Shaving ~ Synthetic.

Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Bowl Lather.

Soap: Phoenix & Beau ~ Sanskrit.

Blade: Derby Premium.(1)

Razor: Muhle R41.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade menthol crystals +Eucalyptus peppermint,+ Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./Proraso ~ Sandalwood ASL.

Aloe Vera Gel.

Greetings,

A new shave set up to start the weekend...Second outing of the Derby Premium, which were kindly passed on to me by a mate. My previous maiden shave with them was a success...

After after having a very horrible experience with a derby extra blade when i first ventured in to the wonderful world of traditional wet shaving which resulted in giving me a nasty bite i was a little apprehensive about using the derby premium on it's maiden shave,but after the first few strokes i gained my shaving confidence very quickly because i now know if a blade is suited to my skin type or not in a few seconds the derby premium i find very smooth with no tuggy issues with a sharp efficient edge, which was completely different to it's sibling the Derby Extra which isn't the sharpest or the smoothest blade to shave with,however i can't really condemn the derby extra blades as i may have bought a dodgy batch or more to the fact it was probably my lack of technique and shaving confidence that resulted in me having a horrible experience with them in my early introduction to traditional wet shaving...'A bad worker always blames his tools'.

The derby premium matched up superbly with my R41,with the lightest of touch both the razor & blade was a smooth duo slicing through my stubble with effortless ease... At first glance i'll be honest and thought they where just re-packaged derby extra's, how wrong we i was, ok they will never be my favourite de blades, and it's a classic case of 'YMMV', but as the saying goes, 'don't knock something, until you've tried it'. Another surprisingly smooth comfortable shave, from the makers of probably the most love/hate DE razor blades on the market in the traditional wet shaving world.

A comfortable 3 pass + pick ups near bbs shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous dollop of Aloe Vera Gel.

My face is feeling super smooth and smelling old school devine. ;)
;)

Enjoy the start of the weekend, ladies & gentlemen.
Really enjoyed reading this. Wee question... Proraso after the Aloe Vera?

Really enjoyed reading this. Wee question... Proraso after the Aloe Vera?
Proraso after the Aloe Vera?..I sometimes apply my aftershave splash after the Aloe Vera gel, either way it works wonders for my mature skin..If you haven't already tried Aloe Vera Gel to your post shave, i highly recommend it..it's superb stuff..at a very reasonable price. (y)

16/06/19
Pre shave Prep: Pears Transparent Lemon Flower
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: Reef Point Soaps Espresso/CR Salter Luxury Shaving Cream
Blade: 0.5 Astra SP (1)
Razor: Rocnel SE - "P"
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Witch Hazel with added oils
Balm: Barts Grapefruit and Pink Pepper Balm & Oil
Aftershave : Floïd SE Mentolado Vigaroso/CK One

20190615_101532.jpg

"P" for Preparation ;)
Using the Rocnel SE - P is all about razor prep.
Today I trimmed the overhangs at an angle toward the edge, removed the corners of the blade and put the slightest of bends in the centre of the blade, loaded into the razor and ensured it was centred and even. Sorted.
I decided on the Gifted Reef Point Espresso:coffee: soap (thanks @Satanfriendly) with the Semogue Boar. After a normal bloom while i took a shower, i loaded up the brush, the lather started well and i sort of like the scent, i carried on with the pre shave and started to load up my chin.
During the 1st couple of strokes i noticed the lather fading, you cannot have this when using the "P". Shave abandoned, the soap will get another run out later. I reached for the CR Salter Sandalwood Luxury shaving cream, in no time i had a massive amount of slickness, enough for 4 or 5 passes from an almond size blob. Great.
Chin suitably covered i started the shave again, now the "P" is a weighty fellow and no pressure at all is required, am i shaving? i kept asking myself, the blade easing through the stubble, the extra rinsing in the sink shows me the stubble is being removed. 3 beautiful passes, all smooth, no issues at all.
Nothing from the block, a rub of witch hazel and cleaned everything up. Rehydrated with the Barts Balm and then Oil, my skin feeling great. A splash of Floïd SE Mentolado Vigaroso to invigorate and then a nice splash of CK One. Well it is the weekend.
Probably? No, this was the best shave i have had with the Rocnel(y), have i found the key to success?:unsure:
Have a Great weekend All.

PLONKER

Last edited:

I think the Derby Premium is a very good blade, and in the shave I found to not be a million miles from a Gillette Platinum for being smooth and just sharp enough. They seem to go under the radar though.

15/6/19

Soap - Palmolive Menthol Cream
Brush - Yaqi Mysterious Blue Fan Tuxedo
Razor - Lord L6
Blade - Treet Classic
Post - Witch Hazel/Nivea Cooling Kick Balm
AS - Akcay Tobacco Cologne

It's my second time using the Palmolive Menthol cream, and the first time I used it I picked up the worst cut to date in my duration of shaving and it was on my mind during today's shave! So I was pleased today to end the shave with no claret spilled, a minor success! The Palmolive Menthol cream really is exceptional, I'm really impressed with how little cream managed to create more than enough for lather for 4 passes (I only did 3 passes) and the post shave feel is excellent, much like the regular Palmolive cream. I'm liking the Treet Classic blades, not the sharpest blades out there and they don't have much duration but I do quite enjoy the face feel of using carbon steel blades from time to time.

I think the Derby Premium is a very good blade. I think it's not a million miles from a Gillette Platinum for being smooth and just sharp enough. They seem to go under the radar though.
I agree,They do seem to go under the radar...Mainly because of the bad experiences people have had with the Derby extra, reasons probably been are , that the derby extra are possibly the first de blades that people are attracted to when starting out in traditional wet shaving and don't realize it's take a while to learn your technique & gain shaving confidence, and 'blame the blade' shall we say,for the bad shaving experiences, when in reality it's down to the inexperienced shaver.I for one thought this...You'll always get a 'Dodgy batch' of any mass produced product..The Derby Premium blade, has vastly improved from it's older sibling.Regards. B. (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom