Socks

I used to have a set of lovely black and colour striped socks, permitting me to enjoy "Blue Monday", "Ruby Tuesday", "Orange Wednesday", etc ... but they wore out. I'm back to black, just black again. I did actually (honest, no lie) look at my socks once in the office to determine what day it was.

HJ softops in black, brown, navy or maroon depending what else I'm wearing and shoes, of course. HJ Indestructibles for wearing with boots or in the garden. There's a few pairs of M&S in there too but generally I find the HJ's more comfortable and longer lasting.

HJ softops in black, brown, navy or maroon depending what else I'm wearing and shoes, of course. HJ Indestructibles for wearing with boots or in the garden. There's a few pairs of M&S in there too but generally I find the HJ's more comfortable and longer lasting.
I'm paralysed the middle joint of my right big toe (multiple fractures) playing football when I was younger.
As a consequence my socks usually end with more holes than a Swiss cheese. Do the HJ Indestructibles really last well?

I'm paralysed the middle joint of my right big toe (multiple fractures) playing football when I was younger.
As a consequence my socks usually end with more holes than a Swiss cheese. Do the HJ Indestructibles really last well?

They do with me and I'm quite tough on socks being a heavy chap (was 21st 12lbs, now 16st 4lbs) but they're in wellies & boots and take a fair bit of rough stuff. They do have a 12 month guarantee, I believe and I also think there are two types. One being all man-made which I believe are supposedly tougher but the ordinary ones are nicer to wear, if I remember correctly. I often wear the dark brown ones with my tan Loake Otterburns and the extra thickness fills the country lasted shoe really well. They are not the most refined socks but seem tough enough to me. British made an' all!

These days the market seems to be awash in cotton socks followed by bamboo rayon socks, with very few wool socks to be found. I can't stand cotton socks as they don't absorb perspiration very well so by mid-day it feels as though I'm standing in a swamp. Bamboo rayon socks just don't stay on my feet well and bunch up towards my toes and aren't great at absorbing perspiration either. In consequence I'm forever on the look out for quality merino wool socks with a hint of nylon for durability. Such socks aren't cheap, but they are comfortable, absorbing perspiration well and staying in place. The downside is that they mostly come in bog standard, boring styles, but I'll take comfort over style any time.

They do with me and I'm quite tough on socks being a heavy chap (was 21st 12lbs, now 16st 4lbs) but they're in wellies & boots and take a fair bit of rough stuff. They do have a 12 month guarantee, I believe and I also think there are two types. One being all man-made which I believe are supposedly tougher but the ordinary ones are nicer to wear, if I remember correctly. I often wear the dark brown ones with my tan Loake Otterburns and the extra thickness fills the country lasted shoe really well. They are not the most refined socks but seem tough enough to me. British made an' all!
Thanks. I'll get a pair to try

A slight hi-jack as this is an old tread and my topic is associated, as in 'socks and jocks'.

Any good, reasonably priced cotton briefs you can recommend, fellas? Is it my time to part company with M&S?

Back
Top Bottom