Soap Seduction ?

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
Since returning to Wet Shaving with proper Razors as opposed to the multi blade variety, I gave up the goo and foam. Initially I used Wilkinsons { Big Mistake} and then Palmolive cream, before trying the likes of Proraso. I then gravitated to hard Soap in the form of MWF - No problems in lathering that.

Then of course , after looking at SOTD and reading lots of hype I tried some other more Soaps- OSP, L`Occitane, Stirling, P&B etc. I do keep looking at others descriptions and labels are so tempting. But do I really need them, as I never really get the so called scent they are associated with.

Today after a splendid Shave with the inexpensive Williams mug soap, I realise that when faced with what might be a Trial Shave i.e.. new Razor or blade almost by instinct I reach for the MWF or Vitos Super Red. Though I love using the likes of L` Occitane , soaps such MWF, Vitos, Tabac, Arko, La Toja, Williams.Cyril Salter are all quite inexpensive and provide great Shaving Lather. So I will continue to admire nicely designed Labels, and read the flowery descriptions of high end soaps, but will stick with what I have got :) :) - I Hope !

Last edited:
Since returning to Wet Shaving with proper Razors as opposed to the multi blade variety, I gave up the goo and foam. Initially I used Wilkinsons { Big Mistake} and then
Palmolive cream, before trying the likes of Proraso. I then gravitated to hard Soap in the form of MWF - No problems in lathering that.

Then of course , after looking at SOTD and reading lots of hype I tried some other more Soaps- OSP, L`Occitane, Stirling, P&B etc. I do keep looking at others descriptions and labels are so tempting. But do I really need them, as I never really get the so called scent they are associated with.

Today after a splendid Shave with the inexpensive Williams mug soap, I realise that when faced with what might be a Trial Shave i.e.. new Razor or blade almost by
instinct I reach for the MWF or Vitos Super Red. Though I love using the likes of L` Occitane , soaps such MWF, Vitos, Tabac, Arko, La Toja, Williams.Cyril Salter are
all quite inexpensive and provide great Shaving Lather. So I will continue to admire nicely designed Labels, and read the flowery descriptions of high end soaps, but will
stick with what I have got :) :) - I Hope !
Good for you Mike, a man that knows his own mind, a leader not a follower :) P.

Oh come on, this post is crying out for some “enabling”. Do give signature soaps a try. Small outfit in Bolton. Much nicer than MWF for me at least and the citrus based scents are lovely
Cheers
Paul

Oh come on, this post is crying out for some “enabling”. Do give signature soaps a try. Small outfit in Bolton. Much nicer than MWF for me at least and the citrus based scents are lovely
Cheers
Paul
Hi, had a look at their soaps, and they sound very nice indeed. Especially the goats milk which may suit my skin. About time soneof these makers got a mention......provided tgey are good!! Tell us how they shave.

Very well. Lathers nicely, supports a very smooth shave, and feels good on the skin. I buy mine at a local market and Brian is just so passionate about his small volume product.
I only bought MWF as a reference and whist it's good I definitely prefer the signature.
Wide range of fragrances, I have a citrus based and a rose blend. Both are lovely.

...So I will continue to admire nicely designed Labels, and read the flowery descriptions of high end soaps, but will stick with what I have got :) :) - I Hope !

3dbkfhD.jpg

Very well. Lathers nicely, supports a very smooth shave, and feels good on the skin. I buy mine at a local market and Brian is just so passionate about his small volume product.
I only bought MWF as a reference and whist it's good I definitely prefer the signature.
Wide range of fragrances, I have a citrus based and a rose blend. Both are lovely.
I'm feeling a bit enabled here! Might have a go.

Do you know what they mean by 'Hybrid' soap?

OK I have had a look , but I have enough soap to last me a few years, so am resisting.

Totally agree Mike , I only have 3 soaps in my rotation now , MWF , Tabac and Vitos Super .
But , I keep going on the Maggards website looking at the B and M , I just can't help myself .
Hi Derrick
Hope all is well with you. Am looking forward to getting the ENOch-silly name.Will be using the Super Vitos, it is great when trying new Razors and Blades. I should really weed out my soap, but I do like what I have
Mike

I'm feeling a bit enabled here! Might have a go.

Do you know what they mean by 'Hybrid' soap?
Not sure what hybrid means. Site refers to soap and cream. Product is very firm, much more soap than cream and lasts really well even going at it.
I have the Hibernian which is a lovely citrus blend.
Definitely worth trying!

Hi Derrick
Hope all is well with you. Am looking forward to getting the ENOch-silly name.Will be using the Super Vitos, it is great when trying new Razors and Blades. I should really weed out my soap, but I do like what I have
Mike
Hi Mike ,
Yes I am well , thanks for asking , I trust you are too ?
So you succumbed to the Enoch too , as I did , I must admit stopping the soap acquisition disorder was easier to do than the hardware , I keep telling myself I have too many razors , but , something new always seems to lure my credit card out of my wallet .
I must admit , Tabac is my benchmark soap , I can honestly say I have never had a bad shave with it .
Keep well ,
Derrick

...I must admit stopping the soap acquisition disorder was easier to do than the hardware , I keep telling myself I have too many razors , but , something new always seems to lure my credit card out of my wallet .
I must admit , Tabac is my benchmark soap , I can honestly say I have never had a bad shave with it...

I am the total opposite as I use primarily an old Gillette Tech (aren't they all old?) or some variety of vintage Schick injector razors. YaQi synthetic brushes "killed" any RAD before it even germinated. However, when there is a new artisan soap that ticks my boxes it's like I see this...

aC4pAz2.jpg

I have only one artisan soap, the PannaCrema Pure2O Vetiver, and it is the best soap (in every aspect) in my bathroom, but I don't want to shave with only that soap. I enjoy using everything I have. When I get Tabac in rotation I am wowed and wonder why I don't shave with it all the time. Same with MWF, DRH, Speick or even the humble Proraso Blue cream.

Don't know anyone who has sniffed a tub of PAA Dapper Doc's and not been completely blown away.
That & P&B Trafalgar are two of the nicest smells to pass by my olfactory system.

I though MWF smelt like cheap public toilet hard soap bars. The small greenish ones that you seemed to see everywhere in the 1980's.

Back
Top Bottom