Smashed burgers

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Following on from the proper burger post earlier, has anyone tried a smashed burger?
It's a burger which gets pressed down flat at the start of cooking and I think it's this process that creates intense meaty flavours.
They are really easy to make but the kitchen does get a bit smokey. Basically you take the miced beef (I use tri tip, chuck or any other cheap cut with a reasonable amount of fat in it, 20% roughly) form a ball but don't pack it tight, the looseness will create the nooks and crannies which adds flavour, put it in the hot pan and press down on it with something heavy A thick spatula works well or the bottom of a smaler pan (I put a piece of greaseproof paper on the meat during the smashing stage). Add of salt and pepper on top. Wait until you see the juices start to come through the top of the burger then scrape up and flip over. Stick an American cheese slice on and cook until desired but it's usually about 30 seconds. The result is a dark flavourful crust on the burger while still being juicy inside.
I am still looking for the a decent bun to replicate the potato rolls you get in the states.

O5gRxzB.jpg

That's how I do all my burgers, love the crunchy burnt bits. :)
When I was younger me and my friends used to go to a cafe on the high street on a Saturday morning after too much beer the night before.
the burgers were just a handful of minced beef, a bit of salt and pepper pressed flat and fried. Just brilliant tasting.
I have now decided what I am having for tea tonight, Just got mince out of the freezer.

The lettuce protects the crap buns from falling apart when the juices start running.;)
I actually quite like it on a burger. My toppings of choice: Lettuce, onion, tomato, mustard, ketchup, American 'cheese'.

Don't forget the dill style pickles. ;)

You have just described one of my my favorite U.S. chain burgers: Freddy's Steakburger. As a bonus, add a bit of Thousand Island salad dressing to the burger.

Don't forget the dill style pickles. ;)

You have just described one of my my favorite U.S. chain burgers: Freddy's Steakburger. As a bonus, add a bit of Thousand Island salad dressing to the burger.
Yes freddys was where I first tried these, went back a few times too. Loved it. Normally I don't eat pickles on a burger but it worked well at Freddys. Don't get me started on the fry sauce they have o_O

Yes freddys was where I first tried these, went back a few times too. Loved it. Normally I don't eat pickles on a burger but it worked well at Freddys. Don't get me started on the fry sauce they have o_O

They are building a new Freddy's less than 1 mile from me. The co. may have to file a legal restraining order against me in the future. :eek: :D :p

You're so right about the buns, US and UK bread is normally so pap and why the fecking brioche???!!!!!

If I'm in burger mood I usually resort to crafting buns out of chabata style bread, cutting it quite thin (say 1/2 ") and toasting so it has structure. I don't want to be eating partially cooked dough with my burger frankly.

Back
Top Bottom