Smaller size blades.

Hi guys I'm relatively new to straights. Have 7 or 8 ranging from 5/8 through to 7/8. All shave really well. My problem is the hair under my nose grows right up to the very bottom of my nostrils. I have little room to manoeuvre leaving frequent nicks. I cant approach the area with any angle on the blade. I was wondering if I'd find a narrower blade easier? How do others get round this issue?
Any thoughts appreciated.

You can shave left to right or right to left or if you are really careful you can shave against the grain, up towards your nose but upmost care must be taken when doing this, I've seen it done holding the blade with both hands.
Or you can buy a really narrow blade but tbh there is no real need.

P.

I'm sure over the past few weeks I'm getting better. I'm now addicted to buying razors now. I bought a 3/8 le grelot on ebay from France. Too big a frown to use yet.
A week or so ago I bought a h boker on ebay from france. Searching cabbage cutter! £8!
Arrived shave ready. It's a 4/8. So small I found it really nimble under my nose but maybe a little too small for rest of my face.

Under the nose - the technique is to go in at 90 degrees to your skin under the nose until you lightly touch, and then rotating the razor down away from your nose in a scraping motion. I actually touch my nose with the spine and lever away in the rotating motion. Second pass I will come in with the point horizontally, and use small buffing motions, obviously very carefully.

A shavette may be easier to handle under nose, grip it close to razor blade for precision work, but a straight razor will do the work too just practice, practice, practice...

Back
Top Bottom