Simpson Brush Labels

I have seen a variety of Simpson brush labels. With the variety, there has been some semblance of guessing the production range. There is a sticker/decal/label that seems to be a little more difficult to guess when it was made. In the image below, there is a No. 4, and (2) Vintage Major travel brushes, marked with a No. 5.
Vintage Label.jpg

The (2) Majors have different labels. The middle Major has a label/decal that matches the No. 4 on the left. These 3 might allow for identifying the label on the No. 4, which looks like a "Special".

Variety picture.jpg

Early Wee Scot
$1.jpg

Pre-1941
pre-1941 vintage horn.jpg

Nimmer Mill Somerset
Butterscotch A&S Simpson3.jpg

An Older Somerset
Somerset m6-c.jpg

2006 super Chubby1-d.jpg

2012 Super Chubby 2.jpg

Modern Label
Modern Simpson-Case-C1-BEST.jpg

Most Recent Label
replacement-simpsons-sticker.jpg

Are there guidelines for establishing an approximate date of manufacture based on the label? Any ideas about the No. 4 in the first image?

I will add, for the sake of clarity, two of the three brushes referenced in the first image have (4) lines of text, which include the hair quality used in the knot. This is unlike most of the labels that have been seen over time. The inclusion of the knot quality is listed in the pre-1941 brush labels. I struggle with entertaining this element to suggest the brushes with this detail are of the early 1940 brushes, however, the 40 series did begin in the 1940's.

I will add, for the sake of clarity, two of the three brushes referenced in the first image have (4) lines of text, which include the hair quality used in the knot. This is unlike most of the labels that have been seen over time. The inclusion of the knot quality is listed in the pre-1941 brush labels. I struggle with entertaining this element to suggest the brushes with this detail are of the early 1940 brushes, however, the 40 series did begin in the 1940's.
Only one of the images used in this post are mine:
IMG_8484.jpg

Back
Top Bottom