Simpson Brush Advice

Hi folks,

Have a Duke 3 in best and i love it. But i want to add, so im looking at options:

1) Whats the difference between the simpson pure hair and the best hair?

I am looking at a few, like the simpsons special, the berkeley, commodore, or eagle.

I have just started to venture to soaps from creams and want both!

Regards

I don't think Simpsons do a Pure. The two grades I've seen are Best and Super.
For example the Polo 8 is about £90 in Best and £120 in Super.

Pete

Sorry you are correct, there is a pure grade. The grade quality order would be pure, best and then super. They also do a very limited edition 2-band super.
I've only tried a Best and this was made after the Vulfix takeover.

Pete

npinn001 said:
Hi folks,

Have a Duke 3 in best and i love it. But i want to add, so im looking at options:

I am looking at a few, like the simpsons special, the berkeley, commodore, or eagle.

Regards

Hello,

The Simpsons Pure grade is a lot darker than the Best grade and a lot scrubbier indeed.

Personally I prefer a stiffer brush and use my Duke 3 every day without wondering what another brush may feel like!

Regards, Robert

Those Simpson's you mention would be a downgrade to you're Duke 3 and not necessarily more suitable for soaps if they are less dense. Check out the Finest 2 band knots with extra hair from Penworks...it is my brush of choice at the moment.

Tony,

What would you say then is a good all round brush, creates lather easily with three T soaps, Tabac and also with creams?

Cheers

npinn001 said:
Tony,

What would you say then is a good all round brush, creates lather easily with three T soaps, Tabac and also with creams?

Cheers

the question we've all asked at some point :roll:

i'm secretly hoping you'll get a Commodore for purely selfish reasons, as i want to know what they're like

npinn001 said:
Hi folks,

Regards

Simpsons used to be sold as a) pure b) best and c) super. I am not sure what Vulfix call it. If they are the same then maybe you should consider stepping up to a super.

I have a chubby # 3 in super, it will whip a lather into anything i have tried. The density of the hair in this brush is remarkable. It gives the firmness required to load the brush with soap, yet the softness when applying is something else. Creams are pure luxury when applied with one of these.

C) Standard Badger "dark solids" (aka dark badger) - This kind of hair is the under-hair of the badger. It is not as elastic as tapers for example. But it keeps it's flexibility much better than hog bristles. This hair is dark (nearly black) and has a cylindrical structure. That means each hair is the same thickness at both ends. They are typically machine clipped to shape unless noted otherwise.

D) Standard Badger "greys" (aka pure or grey badger) - This explanation is used for the hair from the tails and the back of the badger which has nearly the same structure as dark solids although it is from the upper-hair. This hair is more light than dark solids - nearly grey. They are typically machine clipped to shape unless noted otherwise.

E) Premium Badger "tapers" (aka fine or best badger) - This hair has the typical sketch on it (light-dark-light). It comes from the back of the badger and its structure is conical. That means that the tips are thinner than at the base of the hairs. This provides a softer feel while in use. Moreover it guarantees better foaming of the shaving soap. This hair is much more expensive because it is more rare than the types c) or d). These brushes are hand assembled or handmade.

F) Premium Badger "silver tips" (aka super badger) - This explanation is used for the neck hair only which is the softest, rarest and most expensive kind of badger hair. In the winter this neck hair gets extremely light tips. These brushes are hand assembled or handmade.

npinn001 said:
Tony,

Cheers

You are after the Holy Grail of brushes for £40 Nick...good at everything, I don't think it really exists.

If you want a good badger soap brush it helps if it is dense and or stiff which usually means pricey or prickly.
If you want a good badger cream brush you might be looking at longer loft and softer hair not necessarily good for soaps.
If you want a good supa dense brush then they can be lather hogs and take alot of loading but feel great on the chops.

I thought the Duke/Commodore ranges looked like good all rounders. Decide exactly what you wnat it for then check out Tony's knots from Golden nib.
He'd never admit it but I bet those Silvertip/Super knots aren't a mile away from Simpson Best/Super now that Vulfix own them.

Ah, so no such brush is known, well i like my duke for creams, and the boar is doing ok so far with the soaps, so i guess im after a brush which is a workhorse. A good solid brush which can handle soaps. If it can do soaps it can do creams anyway.

Ahem.....sometimes 2 figures hurts me a bit! You know what, i may just go for one of the cheaper simpsons to see what they are like.

Try the Semogue 2015HD. Its an excellent brush for the price & could be your workhorse.

The Semogue boar brush's are getting rave reviews on other sites, I have one in the mail as we speak, so to speak.

Cheers for all the recommendations. Its not that the Duke doesnt do it for me, it does. Its my special brush, i will only use if for creams as it gets light use only, but its fantastic. i want something with the same ilk but less costly so less to worry about ruining, and that i can use vigorously with soaps....you get what i mean guvnor?

Back
Top Bottom