"Silver Star" blades by Lord

I mentioned in the recent Minora blades thread that the vendor had kindly sent me a complimentary packet of 10 "Silver Star" blades, made in Egypt by Lord Co. These are new to me.

To be frank, I'm always gratified to receive such a gift, but, that said, my expectations of quality etc. aren't that high. However, I'm pleased to say that these don't disappoint.

Stainless, described as "Premium High Quality" and "Med. Thickness", they are nicely-packed and single-layer-wrapped, without glue spots etc. In an aluminium Standard razor, they are very sharp and very smooth, for a clean 2-pass shave. I have a couple of places which are liable to "tugging" with any blade and razor combination, but these avoided that entirely, and no post-shave stinging either.

Over time, I'll try some of the remaining 9 blades in different razors, but if they work as well as on this first outing, I'll be in the market for some more.

Attachments

• Lord-Silver_Star.jpg
    Lord-Silver_Star.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 38
This is good to hear! I'm having a run through the Lord range at the moment, comparing across to the Shark equivalents that I have. I am thoroughly enjoying them ... and wondered what the Silver Star might be like. I'm finding all the Super Stainless from the Lord stable to be good and sharp, and scythe their way through my three day growth as seems to be how I'm shaving at the moment.

There is a general consensus that all the blades of a particular type from the Lord stable are the same ...

So, Shark Super Stainless is the same as the Lord Super Stainless is the same as the Big Ben Super Stainless is the same as the ASCO Super Stainless and so one would imagine ... is the same as the Silver Star Super Stainless. That said, running a Shark Super Chrome through the same razor after a run with a Lord Super Chrome, I have to say I preferred the Lord. There are so many variables when it comes to shaving and the blades are most likely exactly the same.

I'll no doubt grab a puck of these some day as I do really enjoy the Lord and Shark Super Stainless blades. I find them highly utilitarian, if that's the right word? They do what they do and they do it very well, but otherwise they're fairly forgettable. Nothing specifically stands out about them, other than of course ... a good shave.

There is a general consensus that all the blades of a particular type from the Lord stable are the same ...

So, Shark Super Stainless is the same as the Lord Super Stainless is the same as the Big Ben Super Stainless is the same as the ASCO Super Stainless and so one would imagine ... is the same as the Silver Star Super Stainless.

My experience is that not all Lord manufactured blades are necessarily the same, Paul.

I'm lucky enough to own a Rocnel Elite 2017 LE razor, which was based around a Feather blade and has very tight tolerances. The result is that only a handful of blades will fit it. This has, though, been useful in helping compare some blades across the same manufacturer's range.

In the case of Lord produced blades, Shark Stainless, Shark Chrome and Asco (orange packet) Stainless. Asco Platinum and Lord Super Chrome blades fit.

It won't accept any of the other Lord blades I've tried, nor will it accept a Big Ben.

This would suggest to me that Lord Classic, Sharks, Asco's and Big Ben's are not identical blades, otherwise they would all fit the razor equally.

I suspect that there is more to Lord blades than necessarily meets the eye.

That makes interesting reading, Andy. We hear the same said fo the Treet lines or the SuperMax ... but there must be a reason for it all. Marketing? Yes, but marketing is sparked by a request from the market; a gap that can be filled.

Of the Silver Star, I have read that it gives a lot of audible feedback. Being predominantly a GEM single edge shaver, that appeals to me. That's not something that is said of the other Super Stainless blades from the Lord fold ... so, we can consider that there are material differences. The Silver Star might well be the "Super Thin" and the Big Ben you mentioned not fitting the ROCNEL appears to be thicker.

Fairly cheap on eBay , but not sure they are same blade as the colours don't match up ?
The packaging design isn't the same, but it looks as if the design of the packets of 5 is intentionally different to that of the 10 packets; always assuming that the name really does mean the same. I can't see a manufacturer producing two different blades with the same name and description, but who knows what happens in The Land of the Pharaohs?

...I'm lucky enough to own a Rocnel Elite 2017 LE razor, which was based around a Feather blade and has very tight tolerances. The result is that only a handful of blades will fit it. This has, though, been useful in helping compare some blades across the same manufacturer's range.

In the case of Lord produced blades, Shark Stainless, Shark Chrome and Asco (orange packet) Stainless. Asco Platinum and Lord Super Chrome blades fit.

It won't accept any of the other Lord blades I've tried, nor will it accept a Big Ben.

This would suggest to me that Lord Classic, Sharks, Asco's and Big Ben's are not identical blades, otherwise they would all fit the razor equally.

I suspect that there is more to Lord blades than necessarily meets the eye.

The size difference tells me it's probably moreso due to bad QC than rather to engineered design. Of course, my opinion is worth what you were charged for it. :whistle:

The size difference tells me it's probably moreso due to bad QC than rather to engineered design. Of course, my opinion is worth what you were charged for it. :whistle:

That's certainly something I hadn't considered.

I know that some brands (such as all those made by P&G won't fit), so I'm not sure whether it's all down to QC or not.

You would need a huge flow chart with pie graphs to even use every different blade name they make. :sneaky:

I have used a few different ones and still feel their Platinum & Super Chrome are the best that I have used.

Back
Top Bottom