Signature Soaps Review Thread

I have received the Hibernia and Coria soaps as samples (I say samples, they're actually very generous 50g pots!).

A quick test lather of the Coria in my palm generated a wonderful lather and is probably the most natural smelling soap I've encountered. I'm poor at describing smells but I actually felt healthier putting the soap on me!!

Really looking forward to using these in anger.

Firstly, just want to say thanks for the samples being given away. I was expecting small samples in a little ziplock bag, like some vendors do, but I got 2 small tubs (50g and 60g), which is a rather generous sample to receive. Had a quick sniff of the Britania soap and it smells good enough to eat (reminds me of Wrigleys chewing gum).

will give them a try out tomorrow.

thanks again

WP_20190926_005.jpg

Thanks to @BrianH for 2 60g sample pots of Signature Soaps Eboracum Hybrid Soap.

Like others I was expecting small samples but to get over 100g of soap was a very generous offer.

I've not had a chance to use the soap but had a quick hand lather and it seemed to produce a lather with good cushion but I'm sure I'll get to know the soap better with a proper shave.

Ok so I gave mine a whirl this morning.

Firstly, I 'd like to echo what others have said - I was expecting small samples of no more than 10g but received 2 decent sized pots totalling 110g -very very generous samples!

In terms of the soap (I will caveat what I am about to post with the fact that it is only after 1 attempt and as always YMMV) I tried the Capra soap which is the Goat's Milk unfragranced one. Now, if scent is a significant factor for soaps then this might not be the one for you. Out of the pot it smells like, well... goat's milk but if, like me performance is the main criteria for your soaps then read on.

The consistency is a hard croap (probably harder than the likes of P&B) so I decided to bloom it while I was in the shower. I applied some of the bloom to my face and the rest I poured onto the brush. Then loaded for around 20 seconds in the pot and lathered up in a Ross Giles bowl. I could tell from applying the bloom and the lathering that this was a top quality soap which lathered up very easily. I then brushed it on to my face and it felt a very good consistency, slick and very nice on the face.

This was confirmed when shaving as the lather provided excellent slickness and glide, I barely felt the blade and it was very smooth. There was enough lather for 3 passes and then some - I applied the remainder to my face while cleaning up.

Post shave, my face feels great and smooth.

In conclusion (again after only 1 attempt) I would have to say that this soap really is top notch and it is easily up there with the better UK artisans (P&B, Wickhams, OSP etc...) in terms of performance. I highly recommend this soap.

Thanks very much and I will undoubtedly be buying some at some point once I have go through the very generous samples!

Used the Goat's Milk this morning and was very impressed! Hollywoodjohn describes it very well. Will point out that I have photosensitive skin and many of the shaving soaps that are for 'sensitive' skin still irritate me. The Goat's was so nice that post-shave I did not feel an urgent need for an aftershave balm to calm things down. Bottom line (with the caveat that it has only been one shave) - excellent shaving soap! Looking forward to seeing the review(s) of the Mamicium.

Micheal

Hi All,
1st off a SigNature sample sized thank you to Brian for the humongous samples, i received the Leodis & Eboracum.
Now i am going to try to be objective here - Bloody hell Brian, it is very good, "Its the dogs", dog.gif the scent is a nice balance, strong enough to smell it on the skin after your shave so helps with post shave scent choices.
The Hybrid soap is exactly that, not hard not soft, Today i used the Leodis (See my SOTD) very nice, i used my soap knife to add it to a bowl, bloomed it in a little water and mix copious amount in no time.

P9270004.JPG

I also received the Eboracum, now, although Peppermint is not my thing i am looking forward to trying it. Next week i have a shavette in my rotation and this soap will be getting a run out. That will be a challenge for the soap as i am not 100% yet with the shavette's crutch.gif.

P9270008.JPG

Today's lather :- this is what was left with a bit in the bowl after i had cleaned up my razor and bathroom, It held up quite well.

Sig Soap 1.jpg

Would i recommend these Hybrids - Most definitely(y), as good as any i have in my collection.
T;)

Last edited:
For today's shave, I used the Eboracum Cedarwood & Peppermint.

I never think it's a good idea to review a soap on the first usage, but like others I'm fairly taken by the experience and can't wait to share my findings out.

Consistency
The description is 'hybrid soap', ie half cream/half soap aka a 'croap' and I'd describe it akin to one that is similar to an Italian Croap, but a bit more concentrated than some of the usual suspects of Cella & Vitos. I can see a small amount goes a very long way.

Scent
The cedarwood is there but my nose seems to detect the peppermint more.

Ingredients
The ingredients list is as follows, taken from the website - Potassium stearate, Potassium cocoate, Sodium stearate, Sodium cocoate, Helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, Potassium castorate, Sodium castorate, Persea gratissima (avocado) oil, Prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil, Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), Moroccan lava clay, Tocopherol (vitamin E)

Lathering Technique
It could work for lathering directly from the tub but I went with scooping out less than pea's worth onto a damp Yaqi Plissoft style brush and lathered it directly on my face.

Lather
I was surprised at how little croap seemed to create enough lather for well over 3 passes, and it's very easy to lather as well - seems to explode like Arko when water/air were added. A very nice combination of slickness and cushion, the blade seemed to glide across my face.
The lather itself is pretty slick, lots of great oils in the soap as can be seen in the ingredients and I'm not an expert on what they bring to the lather as an exact contribution but the lather never felt greasy to the skin or drying. I've found a few 'artisan' soaps have often left my face feeling a bit greasy post shave but this wasn't the issue here.

Post Shave
My face wasn't feeling greasy or dry post shave, but I think there is a slight possibility my face is feeling a bit irritated by the presence of the fragrance oils (which has happened before), which was a little surprising as I didn't get any kind of unfavourable reaction when I hand lathered a small amount yesterday. I'll try again tomorrow to see if it's nothing or if it is the soap (really hoping it's nothing!)

Overall
A really exceptional lather all in all, like others I'd put it up there with OSP, NSS, P&B. The soap itself didn't really look like the following, but the lather reminded me a little of Le Pere Lucien, but I'd say the Eboracum is superior to it.

I'd really like to try the Unscented Goats Milk croap at some point, I think that one would be the most to my liking and I may well place an order in the coming weeks.

Great job to @BrianH for his very generous offer to send the soaps out and even better for making such a delightful soap. I'm sure all the others who were lucky enough to be sent samples will enjoy the soap as much as I did.

Thanks for such a detailed feedback Tony. If essential oils create a slight irritation you'll find the Goats Milk very kind to skin. I have customers who suffer with eczema and psoriasis who use it.
Regards Brian

Hi All,
1st off a SigNature sample sized thank you to Brian for the humongous samples, i received the Leodis & Eboracum.
Now i am going to try to be objective here - Bloody hell Brian, it is very good, "Its the dogs", View attachment 47800 the scent is a nice balance, strong enough to smell it on the skin after your shave so helps with post shave scent choices.
The Hybrid soap is exactly that, not hard not soft, Today i used the Leodis (See my SOTD) very nice, i used my soap knife to add it to a bowl, bloomed it in a little water and mix copious amount in no time.

View attachment 47797

I also received the Eboracum, now, although Peppermint is not my thing i am looking forward to trying it. Next week i have a shavette in my rotation and this soap will be getting a run out. That will be a challenge for the soap as i am not 100% yet with the shavette's View attachment 47801.

View attachment 47798

Today's lather :- this is what was left with a bit in the bowl after i had cleaned up my razor and bathroom, It held up quite well.

View attachment 47799

Would i recommend these Hybrids - Most definitely(y), as good as any i have in my collection.
T;)
Thanks very much for your feedback, I'm glad you like it. Regards Brian

I'd be interested in hearing about the goats Milk one.
The Goats Milk is particularly good for Eczema Psoriasis and those prone to skin sensitivity - it is unfragranced but I'm going to do a couple of fragranced versions using essential oils that are compatible

Back
Top Bottom