Should I ??

Hi guys I'm thinking if I should get into straight razor shaving, the draw back for me is firstly I'm scared I might cut my self and maybe get a permanent scar :( also strapping the razor before every shave sounds abit long and I think I may break my leather as I don't know how to strap. Also I won't get into honing so will have to send it of every 6 months I think. Is there any other maintenance cost ? Also IV heard you can't get water into the scales and should oil the blade after use. If I go buy a straight razor what would you recommend, I like high end products and want a good one, would love a max specher as heard they are the best but they are just to expensive especially as I don't know if I will be able to do it

Straight Razor shaving takes time to learn, you don't just pick one up and have a bbs shave, maybe after 3 months you will be quite competent, but I think it takes a lot longer to improve your shave, costs can be whatever you want to pay, I have razors I paid £5 for and they shave very well, they ALL are just bits of steel that has been sharpened, ok, some steel is better than others, but a standard new mid range blade will set you back around 200, I've seen blades at 1500 and more, strops again can be a tenner or 300, a good brush can be 200 ar a cheap decent one 20. Maybe this really is not for you, it takes time, patience and cash.

Straight Razor shaving takes time to learn, you don't just pick one up and have a bbs shave, maybe after 3 months you will be quite competent, but I think it takes a lot longer to improve your shave, costs can be whatever you want to pay, I have razors I paid £5 for and they shave very well, they ALL are just bits of steel that has been sharpened, ok, some steel is better than others, but a standard new mid range blade will set you back around 200, I've seen blades at 1500 and more, strops again can be a tenner or 300, a good brush can be 200 ar a cheap decent one 20. Maybe this really is not for you, it takes time, patience and cash.
Don't say you weren't warned...

He's absolutely loving the attention, believe me. Setting him to ‘Ignore' is highly recommended.
I think you love me Scott your giving me the most attention out of everyone :) it's good to show love and me kind, please look for the good and not the bad, everyone else IV spoke to has been very helpful and kind, YOU CAN DO IT SCOTT :)

Ok I see thanks for the info, having thought about I don't think it's for me ATM but I do have a desire to you a straight razor,looks very good

Straight razors require dedication. Takes much longer to shave with one and sending it out honing every so often is not practical, unless you have somebody local to hone it for you. For that you will need at least two razors...
Especially in the beginning you are more likely to require a touch up often as your technique is subpar...
You also will need a beginners strop that will probably get nicked and eventually you might want a better strop. If I knew better before, I probably would have gone after DE shaving, but now it is too late for me. :giggle:
If you get a decent shave out of your DE razors, just stick with them.

Straight razors require dedication. Takes much longer to shave with one and sending it out honing every so often is not practical, unless you have somebody local to hone it for you. For that you will need at least two razors...
Especially in the beginning you are more likely to require a touch up often as your technique is subpar...
You also will need a beginners strop that will probably get nicked and eventually you might want a better strop. If I knew better before, I probably would have gone after DE shaving, but now it is too late for me. :giggle:
If you get a decent shave out of your DE razors, just stick with them.
That's very helpful thanks so much, I think I will stick to DE and also have one SE then

Back
Top Bottom