Shoes

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
One of the things in life that I feel is worthy of spending a bit extra for good quality is shoes.It may seem quite an expense at the time but I believe it is worth it in the long run.
My favourites are Loake's and I am just about to send a 3 year old pair back to the factory for repair.Like an idiot I went to kick a ball for the dog to chase and due to the possibility that I perhaps could have been slightly inebriated at the time I managed to 'catch it a bit fat' as we golfers say.A case of hitting the big ball before the little ball in this case the big ball (Planet Earth) was shielded by a paving slab.Needless to say the paving slab won and my leather soled loake's didn't take it too well.Neither did my big toe :oops: Anyway the thing is, I have had these boots for going on 3 years now and have long since gone through the original laces and the soles/heels looked a bit worn but with me damaging them I had the opportunity to contact the factory with reference to a repair.Here is the response.

'if you return your shoes direct to us for return within the UK we charge £54.95 per pair, inclusive of return postage and VAT. This covers re-soling on the original last with new soles and heels, fitting new seat socks and re-finishing the upper part of the shoes. We expect to return repaired shoes within 21 working days'

I think that is a pretty good deal but I wondered what others thought about it,bearing in mind these shoes retail at upwards of £110.I reckon that this repair will at least get me another 3 years wear out of them so going by HM's calculating skills thats 6 years with a total cost of £165 which gives you a pair of handmade, all leather shoes for a tad under £28 per year :D

Sounds good to me - although I can't wear Loake's myself because they don't do a skinny enough fit - Grenson's for me (or Church's).

Most of my footwear is casual though - and since I started on the bike and walking the dog multiple times a day (3 or 4 miles at a time) takes it's toll - just about to wear the second pair out this year :shock:

i do have a dress pair of shoes for visiting mother ;) but i'm either at work (toe-caps) or rushing round (trainers) so i don't know if'd need/use such an expensive pair of shoes.

I own a decent pair of Loakes' brogues. I got them for uni formals and they have served me well since. I don't use them that often and they have little grip but they shine like a muddafuddah.

philamac said:
I have a pair of Loake suede chukka boots that are starting to wear down a bit, so this sounds like the very thing,

Thanks Boab!

the ones I sent back were suede chukka types.Trapper I think was the name.

1009-589-photo2.jpg

those aren't mine btw

That's weird Boab, I seem to have exactly the same style of Loake shoe as you. :eek:

I've had them a year or so. Recently one of the laces snapped so I contacted them to see if I could buy a replacement pair. They very kindly sent me a pair of laces free of charge. Three cheers for Loake! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray!

Pig Cat said:
That's weird Boab, I seem to have exactly the same style of Loake shoe as you. :eek:

I've had them a year or so. Recently one of the laces snapped so I contacted them to see if I could buy a replacement pair. They very kindly sent me a pair of laces free of charge. Three cheers for Loake! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray!

Usially when when you buy a pair of Loakes I thought the box came with a pair of shoe bags and spare laces?

The pair of loakes I sent in for repair came back today. :D Must say it is like being reunited with an old friend, The repair job is perfect,new sole and inner sock (both leather)The new sole also brings the actual shape of the upper back to how it looked initially.I think a pair of loake shoe trees may be in order.I would/will use this service again for my more dress type loakes.

I agree with you Boab, I would rather have one pair of good shoes than two mediocre ones. I didn't know you could get Loakes repaired, I have a pair I got from Slaters and do find them very comfortable, I would buy more of them.

Slaters

that takes me back :D

when i last needed a suit i went to the local gentlemans outfitters to be fitted out as it were, not Burtons but a proper shop ;)

i discovered something that i never knew before, if your buying a flute off the peg the standard size of the jacket is only 6" bigger than the trouser waist, at that time i took a 34" waist but needed a 46" jacket.

he wouldn't mix and match :evil:

so off tae Glesgy and the Polis's favourite shop - Slaters

it was a bit like Are you being served but they make you feel like a King, i came out of there with 2 suits, 2 shirts, 2 ties, shoes, cufflinks, the lot!
it didn't cost much more than the one suit would have back home and it all fitted.
many thanks to young Suzy the lovely shop assistant with the huge jebs in parting me from my hard earned cash :lol:

I have a pair of clarkes shoes for work. I really hated paying about £50. I get increasingly unhappy for every £1 after £30.
I have a pair of walking boots which are about 14 years old and are going strong.
I have a pair of daps (trainers in England) which were about £12 but perfectly adequate for my needs.
Wellies slightly too big.
Slippers slightly too big.
Last week I bought a pair of Gelert sandals to replace the previous 9 year old pair.
Oh and I have an excellent pair of wetsuit boots somewhere.

Flatfish said:
I have a pair of clarkes shoes for work. I really hated paying about £50. I get increasingly unhappy for every £1 after £30.

Shoes are one thing I don't mind spending money. Fortunately Clarks and Ecco have had some good sales recently.

Back
Top Bottom