Shim for ER 1912

@Fergiebilly has given invaluable advice on shimming. Personally, I've never felt the need to use the method on any of my 1912s. However, I've used a rubber band shim when using my 1914/1919; not so much to change the shaving angle, but because it was built to accommodate different wedge-shaped blades back in the day, apparently.

I used two small elastic bands that children sometimes use to make bracelets and stretch them over the top of the blade; where the two grooves are at either side. This prevents any movement when using the razor. When I get home, I'll PM you an image, if that helps?

I'm not sure, Tony, to be honest. I've found that with the usual care and getting the right angle, I've always had great shaves with the ER family. Although, I did use a stainless steel heavy handle on my 1924 once; and that did bite slightly.

I tried a shim at the start ......it makes the razor perform more like a featherweight. The newer models are designed for the current blades and do not require a shim and those are the razors reported as being mild shavers. I prefer the 1912 razors unshimmed now. ......as mentioned above just keep it close to your face.

Back
Top Bottom