Shaving Stands

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Anyone use them?

I had my eye on a penhaligons nickel stand for my brush and razor, there was a guy on BB selling them for £32 delivered. At the moment my razor just sits on the bathroom counter top and the brush sits on top of my L'Occitane bowl.Apart from the aesthetics is there any benefit from storing the brush this way while it dries?

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 106
I doubt there's any significant benefit (making the rash assumption that you rinse & shake your brush and leave it out in the open to dry) in a moderate temperate climate like we have.

If it was more tropical (ie. hot/humid) I'd be more accommodating of the need, but since in winter most of us have central heating (which generally leads to a low humidity situation) and in the summer it's rarely oppressively humid - even today when it's quite humid outside, the humidity is hovering around 45% indoors, temperature 26°C perfect for drying a brush.

I have a little cheap stand I use for my Kent; my Omega and EJ sit on their bases. I've never noticed any difference in how dry they are next morning.

I bought several toothbrush stands from Woolies a year or so ago for a few quid. Each one holds 4 razors. There are a variety of ceramic and metal types you can get; it's worth checking TK Maxx for similar items.

I have that exact stand bought from Benjy on SMF and it works well, the forks are able to be bent in and out to suit your preferred brush size and if you prefer to hang at the top of the handle (as your picture shows) or where the bristles meet the handle, it is quite nice in the flesh and got the royal seal of approval from the household management.

I like it but I do not believe it helps at all in any practical way. I might seem daft to spend money on a stand if you do not think it does anything, but it looks nice and it holds the razor and brush I used that morning. This saves me trying to find a safe place for the razor every morning and the wife and daughter leave it alone. If it was left loose on the counter or lying in a cup they would move it, possibly cut themselves or knock it over.

I have tried drying my most densely packed brushes both hanging and standing up and found no difference in time to dry. I think standing bristles up does no damage, at least in the short term. I really doubt there would be a long tern impact either, I think using the same brush every day is worse if it never gets any time to be 100% dry (or very close to it).

If you like it buy it, swmbo will like it and you can tell her it is a brush dryer and everyone is happy.

Benjy is the guy selling on bb.To be honest it was more for practicality with storage rather than brush life , just trying to convince myself that I needed one lol

It's how I attempt to justify any large purchase - work out the cost per year/month/week I'll have it and if that's an acceptable number, I buy it.

Like buying 1000 razor blades - it's a heck of a lump of cash to drop in one go, but over 8 years (assuming 125 blades per year - averaging just under 3 shaves per blade) it's nearly free :D

I think it is good how we share this arithmetical ability to bend the numbers to massage our conscience. I do the exactly the same, break it down to a weekly number and if I do not like that I compare the bulk price to the price in smaller batches and marvel at how much I am saving.

It is a really nice stand, OK totally unnecessary but so is the IPOD I have in the car, CD’s would be perfectly fine but messier. Same kind of thing here.

Go on you know you want to…..

Back
Top Bottom