Shaving & Grooming Subscription Box - Advice

Hello Gents,

My name is Alham and I've recently launched a subscription box called TOPPBOX, check it out and let me know what you think.

Our top seller is the Shaving Box, which is only £5 and you get free delivery. The Shaving Box includes a Luxury Wooden Handle, a Gillette Mach 3 Razor, a Scaramouche & Fandango Shave Cream, and the Trevarno Aftershave Oil. The products and brands are well known, British, and of high quality.

I launched the business about a month ago, and really want to make it a national success.

Please let me know what you think of the website and service, how I can improve on it, and any advice you may have.

If you have any questions on TOPPBOX, I'm more than happy to answer.

Ditch the non-lathering shave cream, (which has bad reviews anyways, compared to the rest of that product line). Add a brush, and a lathering shave cream.

I also don't see the handle as an improvement over the standard Gillette handle. It looks like a wooden dowel topped with a Mach 3 razor head.

Here's some examples of 'classy' cartridge handles:
No-name old-style handle:
Looks great and I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually metal and not plastic
Rating: [Still to be shaved with]
33o0134.jpg

The "Deluxe"
I honestly don't know if it's a genuine Gillette or not as there is very little to go on.
Rating: 8/10. Really enjoyed the weight and shape of this handle
opskkz.jpg

Burma-Shave
Great copper/bronze look to it. Lighter than what you might think. I have so-so expectations for it.
2i9s36o.jpg

Concord, Italy
Very heavy handle. feels very nice and comes across as well made. A bit like a cartridge version of the Swing DE.
Rating: [Still to be shaved with].
2d6qnew.jpg

Truefitt&Hill
Near perfectly balanced. High quality.
35ar5on.jpg

Crabtree and Evelyn
Solid and feels like a good quality handle. I am not so sure about the shape of it though...
2znuww2.jpg

Paul Revere
Haven't tried these yet since they are very similar to the injector version of the handle (which I love) I have great hopes for them
30ij9j5.jpg
Edit: forgot to add a picture of your razor, for comparison. Please consider this constructive criticism, and not a unilateral bashing of your product. You won't gain much traction on a wet shaving forum with a non-lathering shave cream.
_MG_7755-2.jpg

Last edited:
Not for me as I really enjoy shopping for my own soaps, creams and post shave products... also a mach 3 razor doesn't interest me anymore as DE shaving is so much better and enjoyable.

Thanks for the great feedback guys! Really appreciate it! I do appreciate your honest opinions as it will definitely help improve my product offering! Like you said, constructive criticism @PLANofMAN

Thanks once again, all points taken!

Again, not for me. I like the freedom to choose my own products and cartridge razors are not for me. As has been said, you should at the very least replace the cream and add a brush.

Something that might work is an option based subscription, so for instance you pay £5 a month and you will have an option package to choose from e.g you can choose a postshave product out 4 or 5 options. This means the consumer has some element of choice.

You could split your subscription offers into bronze, silver and gold packages and have products that reflect the package deal.

Thanks fellas! Back to the drawing board... :)
You might want to ask around on other wet shaving forums as well. From my experience, seeing what other people have written on the forums, very few members tie themselves down to a box subscription, and those who do only stay on it for six to eight months. The typical forum educated shaver finds a shave box far too restrictive in content.

What I haven't seen attempted yet, and which would interest me, is a monthly shave box that contains 10-15 samples of items at a low price.

Look up Zamplebox (different industry) for an example of a successful subscription box.

Samples is a different kettle of fish, I could see the less fiscally fortunate of us being interested in having samples of some of the rarer and more expensive items available on a reasonably varied timescale.

By all means seek product advice but don't indulge shaving forums for they are not your market, traditional shaving is only a niche so you'll get a load of niche ideas within a niche market and then nobody'll buy your product.

I think as a "starter" shaving gift box it's perfectly fine, you could tweak the product line up and calling the wooden handle luxury is a bit of a stretch but you've got to start somewhere, are you selling a few as that's the main thing?

Thanks for the advice @PLANofMAN @antdad @Stacy555 great food for thought!

Indeed, I have been tweaking the website and the service offering to see what works and what doesn't. It has been selling, but i guess it is more suited to those who are starting out with shaving rather than those who are experienced shavers.

I have been testing out what works and what doesn't just to understand the market a little bit better, and all your advice has greatly helped me tweak and improve TOPPBOX. Thanks a lot gents.

Back
Top Bottom