Shaving Books

Hello Chaps
Saw that JDE very generously PIF'd a copy of Sharp Practise. Has anyone read it or Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving. Our gentleman of the boards now has JDE's book, could you sir be troubled for a review? and, if any of the other members has read it, a review of Leisureguy's tome.

Regards

I am the recipient of that kind PIF, and through the kind offices of MagicPixie have also read Michael Ham's Gourmet Shaving.
I shall post reviews of both works.
Where should I post them?

Anthony

A good point. There doesn't seem to be a review section for non-shaving stuff. The lounge is for non-shaving, well blether I suppose! and very entertaining it is. Perhaps a review in the General section will suffice. I bow to your greater experience. Boab, think it's over to you.

Regards

SirPrize said:
I am the recipient of that kind PIF, and through the kind offices of MagicPixie have also read Michael Ham's Gourmet Shaving.
I shall post reviews of both works.
Where should I post them?

Antony.......................Just POST IT!

Leisureguy was posting when I joined B&B and he was always interesting and entertaining, feeding my enjoyment of 'our thing'. I would be really interested to read your views. I Have a list of books to read and Leisureguy's is on it.

I'd like to have a butchers at Leisureguy's book, too. The problem I find with shaving/grooming books is...
They don't work as "tutorials" as a) it's really hard to explain shaving using words and a couple of pictures and b) what with everyone having different skin, hair etc. one technique doesn't work for everyone.
If they were simply product reviews, they'd have to be updated all the time and they would be very personal. What with everything and it's brother being reviewed on the web, and with submissions from a large group of consumers, it's easier to better gauge the effectiveness of something by googling reviews. This is why sites like Basenotes are pretty valuable when compared to something like... "Perfumes: The Guide" by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez. Although it's an excellent book and well worth a read if you're interested in fragrances, some people really like things that other people really don't. The popularity of MWF and HBS soap escapes me, but other people swear by them - neither of us are wrong, though. Factor in stuff like allergies and you could go on forever.
Part of the fun of this stuff for me is the discussion generated.

That said, "Sharp Practice" is funny and well-written, and it's got some nice anecdotes and stories. It's ideal for someone who wants to start giving a little more thought to their daily routine. It also made me want a straight razor for a bit, so it's obviously well tuned in to the easily-swayed male consumer's mind.

Gents,

I'm happy to loan out LeisureGuys book; first reply in this thread gets it. You can then send it on to whomever would like to read it next. All I ask is £2 for postage to get the ball rolling.

Rik.

factormax said:
SHARP PRACTICE is excellent - packed with humour and wisdom.

Hello,

Although Anders Larsen, author of "Sharp Practice" is a regular customer of TGS I had no idea he was an author until the book was published. He never asked for any payment, free stuff or samples, but mentioned our shop before the three T's.

For which we will be forever gratefull.

Robert

Phil & Jim - if either of you want to read LeisureGuys's book please PM Anthony (SirPrize) with your address. Makes sense to just send it direct to the next recipient rather than returning it to me first.

Rik.

Back
Top Bottom