Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joe mcclaine

Saturday:
5/8 Hoffritz
Duke 2 Best
Aramis Soap

That's it. That was the last chance for the Aramis. Great smell, rubbish lather.

Saturday

Hot water face wash
T&H Luxury Shaving Soap
Tweezerman Badger Brush (cheapo from John Lewis, but surprisingly good)

Gillette black handled slim adjustable set to five
new KAI blade (still using up my PIFed ones, until the group buy gets sorted)
two passes with the DE, then 'faceturbated' using a Fusion for tricky patches.

Trumpers Lime Skin Food, hot shower and then
Gillette Extra Comfort AS balm

What a great shave, as smooth as my bum if not my babies :p

Saturday

Gold Tech
Feather
Proraso Aloe & Green Tea shaving soap
D.R. Harris Aftershave Milk
Trumpers Marlborough

Proraso 'white' was very nice. Might post a review when I've used it a bit more.

Ian

Sunday:
Pre-War 5/8" Hoffritz half hollow
Crabtree & Evelyn Pure Badger Brush
Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap

Tried my new Duke 2 (Pure) Badger Brush but it just doesn't work for me. I have now tried a Chubby 1 Best, Duke 2 Best, Duke 2 Pure, Plisson #10, Kent BK4 and two Vulfix Boars and none have worked anywhere near as well as my C&E brush.

Sunday

Mach 3
Simpson's Best Badger Special
Col. Conk Bay Rum Shaving Soap
Boots Distilled Witch Hazel as a/s

When shaves are as easy and as good as this, I sometimes wonder why I bother with DE's and fancy aftershave stuff.

Ian

IanM said:
When shaves are as easy and as good as this, I sometimes wonder why I bother with DE's and fancy aftershave stuff.

Sensor, Mach 3 and Fusion razors provide an unrivalled shave, although to read some forums you would not think so. The reason many men have problems when using these razors is that they also use gel or foam rubbed in by hand.

Anyone who dismisses these razors, without first trying them with a brush and soap (or cream) needs to give their heads a bit of a wobble, I reckon.

I have had some of my best shaves with a Sensor, Palmolive Stick and a splash of Old Spice.

joe mcclaine said:
The reason many men have problems when using these razors is that they also use gel or foam rubbed in by hand.

and/or the pressure that you need to apply so that the multiple blades don't bounce across your face.

joe mcclaine said:
Anyone who dismisses these razors, without first trying them with a brush and soap (or cream) needs to give their heads a bit of a wobble, I reckon.

I have had some of my best shaves with a Sensor, Palmolive Stick and a splash of Old Spice.

I just want to shave without turning into John Merrick as a result. Before discovering DE razors, I spent 22 years avoiding shaving, visiting the doctor, trying every shaving method imaginable, every product known to man for creating a lubricated face for shaving (Swarfega works quite well, but the smell lingers too long and it's very drying) - because the end result of every cartridge (and electric) razor I've tried in those years was razor rash, irritation and a subsequent breakout of acne.

DE does that for me and has other positives: The waste blades are comprised of 100% recyclable steel (if they're from Bangladesh, it's possible/likely that they used to be Indian Rupee coins turned into razor blades already), toss them in an empty "tin" can, fold/beat it closed, put it in the recycling. There is not a cartridge on the market that can be recycled without disassembly - and who is going to sit and separate out the different parts of a composite cartridge?

Flairtip Superspeed razor
Edwin Jagger Super badger brush
Feather blade
Shaving Shack cream

Good post HM. The best thing about a DE razor for me is the absence of ingrowing hairs in my life. Money is of course not being saved, but I look on shaving as a pleasurable hobby so that's cool. I also like the fact that shaving takes some concentration on my part.

PS All I need is some Iridium Super blades and I will have the most SUPER shave possible! :D

Pig Cat said:
Flairtip Superspeed razor
Edwin Jagger Super badger brush
Feather blade
Shaving Shack cream

Good post HM. The best thing about a DE razor for me is the absence of ingrowing hairs in my life. Money is of course not being saved, but I look on shaving as a pleasurable hobby so that's cool. I also like the fact that shaving takes some concentration on my part.

PS All I need is some Iridium Super blades and I will have the most SUPER shave possible! :D

Fortunately, now that I have transferred to using a brush and soap/cream, I can make an M3 or a Sensor work for me as well as anything. This is almost certainly owing to shaving with DE razors. The skills that I have learned from DE shaving have transferred to cartridges, and the results, I've found, are very positive.

So it seems that no matter what I shave with, be it Cartridge, DE or Injector, I can achieve an acceptable shave without any issues.

Ian

Monday

Exile's giveaway straight
Kent/MWF
EJ Best
Wilkinson Sword classic to finish up
Harvard A/S

First shave with a straight, no blood and everything still attached :lol: a couple of WTG passes on the bits I felt confident doing, finished up with the wilkie classic as it was the nearest DE with a blade in :D just need to practice my angles, I kept finding that when the blade felt comfortable I couldn't see it in the mirror cos my hand was in the way!

I've already mentioned this on the relevant thread but I just wanted to say again how grateful I am to Exile for the straight :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom