Shave Dream Team

Hello, gents.

I'm not sure if there's a thread like this already. If there is, apologies for being too lazy to find it :oops:. If there isn't, fine. Last night, while faceturbating next to my wife, I began wondering if there was a way of finding out which razors/creams etc forum members regard as the most effective in the pursuit of a close, comfortable and enjoyable shave. Obviously, personal preference is just that, and I'm sure there are many variables - but it might interesting to see what products you guys hold in high esteem. Could there be a consensus? Can cheap really compete with expensive? Do I really need an excuse to buy even more stuff...?

So, in your opinion, most effective named product for achieving a close, comfortable, enjoyable wetshave:

1) Pre-shave (including hot water)
2) Brush
3) Soap/Cream/Shave Stick/Gel/Oil
4) Razor
5) Blade
6) A/S Balm
7) A/S Splash

If I've missed anything out (and I'm sure I have) feel free to chip in or rearrange completely!

1) Pre-shave: Hot water, hot water, more hot water
2) Brush: Whatever floats your boat - for me mostly Kent BK4
3) Soap: Tabac or Mitchell's Wool Fat (or sometimes Cream: Real Shaving Co. Shave² Cream - new discovery from last night)
4) Razor: 1950s British Flare Tip Rocket
5) Blade: Gillette Super Thin (Thai)
6) A/S Balm: Something with Witch Hazel in if I use it (regular Witch Hazel, Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel or Thayer's Witch Hazel Aftershave)
7) A/S Splash: Tabac AS

There is probably a broad consensus on soaps and creams most of them lather adequately enough but can depend on your'e experience to build lather, where some are easier than others. So it really comes down to scent preference, price and allergic reactions.

As for razor's, blades and brushes...sheeesh I wouldn't know where to start. What some members swear by might not suit your'e skin, beard or technique at all.

There are 100's of choices and permutations...finding the combination's that work for you are part of the frustration and fun.

I'd approach it like this:

Requirements for a really excellent shave:

Time: more than enough of it.
Preparation: hot water/hot/wet/towel or flannel
Excellent lathering technique that suits you with a reasonably firm, dense, brush.
Light touch on the razor of your choice
Enough passes to achieve the standard you want.
Any really popular razor
A blade just below being too sharp for you
Any popular cream or soap
After shave without alcahol

Use golf as an analogy

A great round of golf is achieved by how you play not what you play with - within reason. A half decent set of clubs is all you need. Not the best. Not the worst.

To answer your question directly:

1 Hot water
2 A best badger
3 Soap: Tabac Cream: Your favourite scent from any of the three Ts
4 Merkur
5 Gillette Super Thin
6 DR Harris milk
7 None needed

Hi, antdad. I didn't really intend this thread as an extension of my 'To buy' list, although I'm sure there'd be things I would try, just out of curiosity :D ! It's more of an informal straw poll that might throw up a few surprises in terms of the effectiveness of high street pharmacy products, for example.

Nape

Ah sorry...OK then.

Preshave: Hot Water Wash.
Soap: Tabac
Brush:Simpson Chubby 2
R'n'B: Fatboy + Feather
Post Shave: Alum + Witchhazel
Finish: DR Harris Sandalwood or Marlborough AS
Post Finish: Nivea

1) Pre-shave (including hot water)
Hot water (a bathful).
2) Brush
Omega 49 pro. I don't really suppose this is the best by any means, but it's what I've got for now.
3) Soap/Cream/Shave Stick/Gel/Oil
Tabac; honourable mentions for Wool Fat, Cella, Palmolive and Taylors sandalwood cream.
4) Razor
Aristocrat Jr. or flare tip Rocket
5) Blade
Feather or old stock UK Wilkinson: wouldn't want to be stuck with just one type.
6) A/S Balm
Anything that's not too greasy, but Proraso is an established favourite..
7) A/S Splash
I've only got Taylors sandalwood at the moment, which I'm quite sure can be improved upon.

For my money, 1) is the fundamentally important item, as for all the other variables I can obtain a good, lousy or indifferent result from any of them really. As Fido says, technique is the key, and I'll freely confess to making a bollix of lathering every once in a while if I'm in too much of a rush. With regard to razors, being able to vary the aggressiveness is important to me, so if it was just the one it'd be the Fatboy. I'd also mention cold water immediately after shaving, but it doesn't fit into the given categories.

Preshave: Hot Water.
Soap: MWF
Brush:Simpson polo 8 best
razor + blade: Muehle R89 + Gillette silver blue
AS splash: Harris Pink
AS balm: Harris Milk (or C&E sandalwood for scent!)

Cologne: Mr Taylor/Taylor sandalwood/Taylor limes

I'll tell you what it used to be for me:

1) Pre-shave (including hot water) - None of that
2) Brush - My fingers
3) Soap/Cream/Shave Stick/Gel/Oil - King of Shaves gel
4) Razor - Gillette Mach 3
5) Blade - Gillette Mach 3
6) A/S Balm - Nivea
7) A/S Splash - What?

I think the only thing I did well was the moisturising! I know a Mach 3 is not truly awful if all the rest of the steps are good, but I had a habit of waiting weeks before changing a blade. I used to get terrible in-grown hairs!

Sorry that was more of a 'nightmare team', but what can I say? I like to be different! ;)

I agree with fido down to personal preference. Mine is as follows
even if you have had a bath/shower
the hottest water your face can stand
Face cloth in water apply to face numerous times
1 x Merker Futur
1 x 7o'clock platinum
1 x Taylor's lavender cream
1 x Vulfix best badger
1 x nivea Balm ( Blue Top)
Run out of splash

This i post for your delight and delectation ;)

Thanks for all the replies so far, gents. Interesting to see Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac soap both get a few mentions: I've just received a MWF puck (quite cheap) and have read many splendid things about the lather Tabac spews forth.

On a separate note, I tried Feathers for the first time last night. :D Very good shave. Very good indeed. I like!

Prep: Hot water
Soap: Tabac Stick or Henk's no. 4 (face lather, no bowl)
Brush: Vintage Simpson (small best badger)
Blade: Kai
Razor: Rocket or Fatboy
Post: Ideally, Neal's Yard ASB; reality, whatever moisturiser the wife has left lying around.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: MWF, however i have just recently discovered Valobra almond soap and it is wonderful.
Brush: Omega 31064, but i am chomping at the bit for a Chubby CH1, unfortunately the wife says i have to wait til Santa comes :cry:
Blade: Derby Extra
Razor: Merkur 38c or 11c

If anyone has a Simpsons CH1 for sale please contact me as i dont think i can wait til Xmas.

Prep: Hot water
Soap: Tabac Stick or Henk's no. 4 (face lather, no bowl)
Brush: Vintage Simpson (small best badger)
Blade: Kai
Razor: Rocket or Fatboy
Post: Ideally, Neal's Yard ASB; reality, whatever moisturiser the wife has left lying around.

I thought it was just me who pinched the wife's moisturiser :oops:

My current faves

Proraso Pre/post
Proraso cream or Taylors Almond
Muehle R41 with Kai or Derby blade
alum
Proraso pre/post or Liz Earle A/S balm
Proraso A/S splash

I can see this changing now the weather is turning, it is quite a wake up driving to work when it's cold and your face is buzzing with menthol :lol:

Back
Top Bottom