Sharp Blade in a Mild Razor OR Mild Blade in an Aggressive Razor?

I won't be the first person to ask this but I'm curious as to which produces the closer shave.

Will for example a Feather in a 34C produce a better result than a Derby in an R41?

Perhaps the premise is slightly faulty in that although most people seem to agree on the aggressiveness of razors, I see a lot more dispute over blades.

I wonder what your experiences have been.

Good question, but I have always wanted to ask as well, why do we often see reference to ‘sharp blade in mild razor', sometimes see ‘mild blade in aggressive razor' but rarely if ever see something that splits the two: ‘medium sharp blade in mid aggression razor' ?

Good question, but I have always wanted to ask as well, why do we often see reference to ‘sharp blade in mild razor', sometimes see ‘mild blade in aggressive razor' but rarely if ever see something that splits the two: ‘medium sharp blade in mid aggression razor' ?

That hypothetical sounds helpful for people with pretty unremarkable beard thickness or skin type. (I'm sort of the opposite - very thick growth and problematic eczematous skin.)

But for something in the middle, Dave, maybe a Futur set to 2 and loaded with an Astra Green? What blade and razor combo would you try instead to achieve this?

For me this is a false argument. There is only sharp when it comes to blades. The sharper the blade the better it is. Dull blades have no place in your collection and are depressing to shave with. All the rest is technique.

This implies then that everyone should be using ultra sharp blades regardless of how smooth they are. My face cannot take the sharpest of blades. Feathers wreck my face. A few days ago I ordered some Kai DE blades out of curiosity as I've never tried them. Felt fine using them, then got a good 10 weepers on the final, XTG pass. I didn't overdo it with pressure, did no touch up, buffing or anything like that, but after cleaning up and walking away, then looking in the mirror, my face is annihilated. 90 mins after shaving, its only beginning to settle down now. Proof that a comfortable shave trumps a close shave, and that really sharp blades are no good for me. I don't like the thought of using a dull blade either, but something down the middle is the only option for me.

Edit: Whilst the above was only my second shave with my new razor (ATT S1), in terms of comfort, the first shave (Astra SS) and the Kai, were like chalk and cheese

Last edited:
I'm far from knowledgeable about the actual edges of blades and how consistent or irregular they are. That may have something to do with the roughness some report. It may be a different factor from actual sharpness.

For me this is a false argument. There is only sharp when it comes to blades. The sharper the blade the better it is. Dull blades have no place in your collection and are depressing to shave with. All the rest is technique.

Yup, exactly right!

If I put a blade that isn't sharp enough for me in any razor, it's going to be nasty!

I made the mistake of using a voshkod in my Karve D plate and got so many ingrowns as it was just too damn blunt!

A seven shave old Polsilver feels much sharper than the majority of blades I've used.

Back
Top Bottom