Sensitive skin help

Hi all,

I've been on here for a good few months now and it has been a great source of information and help etc... I have experimented with quite a lot of hardware and software, as well as honing technique but I still intermittently struggle with flare ups which don't necessarily seem to be shave related (although I am not 100% certain that this is the case).

Basically I have tried isolating soaps / razors / blades / post shave / pre shave but it has been inconclusive. Something that works brilliantly at one time may not be great the next. The shave itself can feel extremely smooth and great but a couple of hours later things can start to flare up but not always.

I am now wondering if I may be sensitive to something else altogether. I have noticed that without shaving my face can seem worse after a shower and when I am in a hot environment, it can also affect it. Witch hazel and aloe based products do appear to help.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone else has suffered from anything like this and if you have any tips?

Much appreciated.

Hi all,

I've been on here for a good few months now and it has been a great source of information and help etc... I have experimented with quite a lot of hardware and software, as well as honing technique but I still intermittently struggle with flare ups which don't necessarily seem to be shave related (although I am not 100% certain that this is the case).

Basically I have tried isolating soaps / razors / blades / post shave / pre shave but it has been inconclusive. Something that works brilliantly at one time may not be great the next. The shave itself can feel extremely smooth and great but a couple of hours later things can start to flare up but not always.

I am now wondering if I may be sensitive to something else altogether. I have noticed that without shaving my face can seem worse after a shower and when I am in a hot environment, it can also affect it. Witch hazel and aloe based products do appear to help.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone else has suffered from anything like this and if you have any tips?

Much appreciated.

Do you shave before having a shower or after? Do you do roughly the same number of passes each time you shave? Do you ever do a pass against the grain? Do you ever use a razor that is more aggressive than the others? How much pressure do you apply? Do you use a shallow angle for shaving? I've found a steep angle would allow a closer shave but would irritate my face more.

Thanks mate, I'll try answering each of these points in turn.

I have mixed up shower. On balance I think that after a shower is worse.
I usually go for 2 passes, both with the grain, I sometimes go for a third to tidy up but not usually necessary. Last night, my face didn't feel the best before shaving so only went for 1 pass but it wasn't great (I think because the starting point wasn't great).
I have used a variety of razors. I think that more aggressive is better as they require less pressure and are more efficient. One of my current razors is a RW 6C and overall the 5/6 plate seems to work better for me than the 1-3 plates (4 is ok too).
I try to apply as little pressure as possible which is why more aggressive razors seem better.
I try to apply a shallow angle, especially for the 1st pass.

I think after the shower would likely be worse because by then you will have stripped the natural oils from your skin, which I guess provide a surface for the shaving soap to "sit on". Remove that and the oils in the soap would probably be more readily absorbed into the skin, like moisturizer? Though I am by no means an expert on the subject, it's one thing you could try to help.

If your skin is raw from irritation from a previous shave, give it a couple days to cool down before shaving again, it will give your skin time to heal and should hopefully help prevent a further flare up.

You could try a milder first pass and a slightly more aggressive second pass, maybe 2 - 5?

Do you use Alum post shave?

I find lather is really really important when it comes to post shave irritation, I know that improving shaving technique and razor angle is important, but attention should also be given to building a good lather imho.

Thanks Steve,

I agree with all of your comments - they all seem to match up to my experience, especially on the lather quality. I now always bowl lather which helps.

I will also try mild first pass. I think the thing that seems odd is that the shave can feel great but it flares up a couple of hours later, especially in a hot environment.

Someone on ATG has mentioned that badger could also be affecting it which I had wondered about but then written off. Does anyone else have any issues with badger brushes?

Thanks Steve,

I agree with all of your comments - they all seem to match up to my experience, especially on the lather quality. I now always bowl lather which helps.

I will also try mild first pass. I think the thing that seems odd is that the shave can feel great but it flares up a couple of hours later, especially in a hot environment.

Someone on ATG has mentioned that badger could also be affecting it which I had wondered about but then written off. Does anyone else have any issues with badger brushes?

I didn't ask about the brush!

I used a badger once, and once was enough. It made my face feel like it was on fire, had the worst irritation I've ever had.

Do you have a synth?

It might have been coincidence, but any irritation I had problems with completely disappeared when I began to use cold water, a few years back. Cold water prep, cold water to wet my synth brush, cold water to rinse my razor and my face between passes and (predictably) cold water rinse to finish. From then, I continue as a dedicated cold water shaver.

What do the flare ups look like? Are they rash like with pustules?
They are smllish red areas that look like a rash, no pustules, although I will occasionally get a spot. If I don't shave for a few days, the skin in those areas goes a bit flakey, especially after a hot shower. I have also just been swimming and it is stinging a bit, probably just the chlorine though.

I didn't ask about the brush!

I used a badger once, and once was enough. It made my face feel like it was on fire, had the worst irritation I've ever had.

Do you have a synth?
That's interesting, the thought of badger had crossed my mind but I had written it off. I do have a couple of synths but my badger is much better quality. I'll try shaving exclusively with synths and see if it does make a considerably difference.

It might have been coincidence, but any irritation I had problems with completely disappeared when I began to use cold water, a few years back. Cold water prep, cold water to wet my synth brush, cold water to rinse my razor and my face between passes and (predictably) cold water rinse to finish. From then, I continue as a dedicated cold water shaver.
I generally prefer cold shaves and I think it makes it better too.

"Smallish red areas that look like a rash" could be a sign of dry skin, further irritated by shaving soap or blade. What soap or cream do you use?
Painting lather from a bowl will be more gentle than face lathering, especially if you are using a quality synthetic brush.
Do you use any aftershave or balm? Aloe Vera gel is very mild and effective, and unlikely to cause any issues with sensitive skin (unlike alcohol-based aftershaves).
Judging from your original post you may already be doing this, but try not to experiment with too many different products. Stick with 1 soap/cream and 1 razor/blade combination for a while, then only change 1 item at the time and see how it goes.
Good luck. With some perseverance I'm sure you will find what works best for you.

Last edited:
"Smallish red areas that look like a rash" could be a sign of dry skin, further irritated by shaving soap or blade. What soap or cream do you use?
Painting lather from a bowl will be more gentle than face lathering, especially if you are using a quality synthetic brush.
Do you use any aftershave or balm? Aloe Vera gel is very mild and effective, and unlikely to cause any issues with sensitive skin (unlike alcohol-based aftershaves).
Judging from your original post you may already be doing this, but try not to experiment with too many different products. Stick with 1 soap/cream and 1 razor/blade combination for a while, then only change 1 item at the time and see how it goes.
Good luck. With some perseverance I'm sure you will find what works best for you.
Thanks mate. The main soaps I am using are p&b, oatcake, SV and MWF. I do use others occasionally too but I can't say that it is definitely a soap issue. I have been using more of a variety of post shave though and I think that could have something to do with it. Nivea sensitive has been good so I'll stick to that for a bit and vary less. Thanks for the thoughts.

Thanks mate. The main soaps I am using are p&b, oatcake, SV and MWF. I do use others occasionally too but I can't say that it is definitely a soap issue. I have been using more of a variety of post shave though and I think that could have something to do with it. Nivea sensitive has been good so I'll stick to that for a bit and vary less. Thanks for the thoughts.

Some great advice from Franky above, I'd say keep the variables as fixed as you can, maybe just use the one soap/blade/razor/brush/blade for a week or so.

IMO, the lather is incredibly important. I test a new soap's lather by palm lathering it first to see whether I get even the slightest bit of irritation then I won't use it. Then there's the consistency which IMO is vital to the quality to the shave, too thin and there won't be enough protection, too thick/dry then the blade won't have the right amount of glide/be more prone to sticking/dragging.

Thanks mate, I'll try answering each of these points in turn.

I have mixed up shower. On balance I think that after a shower is worse.
I usually go for 2 passes, both with the grain, I sometimes go for a third to tidy up but not usually necessary. Last night, my face didn't feel the best before shaving so only went for 1 pass but it wasn't great (I think because the starting point wasn't great).
I have used a variety of razors. I think that more aggressive is better as they require less pressure and are more efficient. One of my current razors is a RW 6C and overall the 5/6 plate seems to work better for me than the 1-3 plates (4 is ok too).
I try to apply as little pressure as possible which is why more aggressive razors seem better.
I try to apply a shallow angle, especially for the 1st pass.

Reading this statement, you shouldn't be applying any pressure even using a mild/less efficient razor head, with one like the Rockwell 6C say on plate 2 or 3, it will give the blade less exposure and consequently like a Tech it has quite a narrow window of finding the right angle to use.

I myself can't use a razor head even with the slightest bit of efficiency, and my face prefers an extra pass with a very mild razor head instead of using a slightly more efficient razor head but it's a YMMV issue as we all have different patterns of growth and shave at different intervals (I shave daily, so an aggressive/efficient razor is too much for my face to take).

What blades are you using as well? I find certain blades made my face really terrible.

Also if your face doesn't feel great before shaving, if possible (unless you have to for work) I'd give my face a few days of rest to recover.

I have issues too with flare ups. I rarely have problems with the actual shave itself, it's what comes after that gets me. I used a Fatip Grande open comb razor for the first time recently, I felt the results were superb and walked away feeling really happy. It felt close and comfortable AT THE TIME, it was 15-20 mins later when I opened up the car visor mirror and noticed how red my face was. I hadn't even gone ATG. My face didn't feel great for the rest of the day. I really don't think OC's are for me. Like I said, at the time it felt fine. It's the ‘afters' that I hate.

I've mainly been using Rockwell 6C too. The only lower plate I've used is 2 and it was useless for me. Clogged up and looked like I hadn't shaved. 4 is the sweet spot thus far. 5 was closer shave but less comfortable. 6 was very close and even more uncomfortable. If I really want to go ATG (I hardly ever do), I will flip the 4 plate over and do that pass on 2. Today I was feeling a bit tender after stupidly going ATG on plate 4 yesterday. Had a Mach 3 shave for a change. Felt horrible all afternoon especially under jawline. I must be getting used to DE, as every time I have a cart shave (less and less often now), I hate it. Good luck !

It's easy to believe by the sincere advice given that the solution can be found in a change of product or method. Chances are your skin is no more sensitive than anybody elses so pick a mild setup and stick with it for at least a couple of weeks. My sense is you probably chop and change too much and are yet to establish a foolproof and reliable method and technique, your aim initially should be to achieve an irritation free shave irrespective of the finish, doesn't matter if you can still feel stubble just stick to that aim. Once achieved you can then work on increasing the closeness and finish of your shave. I concur with donnies lather advice completely, consistency is absolutely critical and you may be shaving an area without adequate protection without really knowing it and that is causing flare ups. My only change would be to invest in a cheap cream and use plenty of it, even if you don't quite have your lathering technique down pat a cream based lather should still provide adequate protection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom