Seeking alternative

I bought a bunch of soap samples from ShaveDash.com, a few of them i liked a lot, but one is a problem.
The Noble Otter Monarch, boy oh boy do i love that smell, but i have so much trouble getting a good foam! It stays watery even when i add some extra soap with the brush. I am used to Chiselled Face and Stirling soaps and they give great foam, but this one is a real disappointment.
Any tips on how to get it to build a creamy foam?
Or, and that is what i am hoping, an alternative with equal or better smell in the same range!

Ill try with a dryer brush, the other brands i use can take some water, the consistency of this soap is rather like a cream but a bit stiffer, best comparison wet clay, very soft, as such a lot of it adheres to the brush when loading so i used the same water amount as i do with a Stirling. No other soaps come to mind eh?

Ill try with a dryer brush, the other brands i use can take some water, the consistency of this soap is rather like a cream but a bit stiffer, best comparison wet clay, very soft, as such a lot of it adheres to the brush when loading so i used the same water amount as i do with a Stirling. No other soaps come to mind eh?
There is a lot going on scent wise with that soap, I think it will be difficult to find an alternative soap with the same scent, best bet is to try and master lathering this soap you like the scent of so much. :) P.

I can't think of any. Noble otter is a great soap but takes abit of work to get a good lather, but it's worth it.
Do you face or bowl lather?

Monarch is my favourite from Noble Otter. You will struggle to find another soap with a scent close to it. I think Truefitt and Hill Grafton (cream) is in the same ballpark.

Nothing wrong with Noble Otter soaps. The issue you have is using a sample. I think you will find most folk aren't fans of samples. They are good to test the scent but not much else.

I say the following with the caveat of struggling to lather soaps and I've been traditional wet shaving for 3 years now.

Shake your brush out well first. Load the brush heavy from the tub and add a few drops of water to the brush or bowl and be patient and take your time. Noble Otter soaps can take a fair amount of water but like any soaps, once too much water has been added it's virtually impossible to bring the soap back by adding more soap. You are best to throw the lather away and start again.

If you like the scent so much I would recommend you buy a tub and use it for a few weeks straight to get to grips with it.

Maggards is your best bet. Cheap and fast shipping.

Good Luck
Rob

Monarch is my favourite from Noble Otter. You will struggle to find another soap with a scent close to it. I think Truefitt and Hill Grafton (cream) is in the same ballpark.

Nothing wrong with Noble Otter soaps. The issue you have is using a sample. I think you will find most folk aren't fans of samples. They are good to test the scent but not much else.

I say the following with the caveat of struggling to lather soaps and I've been traditional wet shaving for 3 years now.

Shake your brush out well first. Load the brush heavy from the tub and add a few drops of water to the brush or bowl and be patient and take your time. Noble Otter soaps can take a fair amount of water but like any soaps, once too much water has been added it's virtually impossible to bring the soap back by adding more soap. You are best to throw the lather away and start again.

If you like the scent so much I would recommend you buy a tub and use it for a few weeks straight to get to grips with it.

Maggards is your best bet. Cheap and fast shipping.

Good Luck
Rob
I think ill do just that, i like the smell that much indeed, sigh, that makes 3 new soaps to order from Maggard next week Stiling Satsuma, Chiselled Face Summer Storm and now Noble Otter Monarch. There goes my beer money..

Let's us know how you get on?
I have now the Stirling Satsuma Glacial, and i am a tiny bit disappointed, i expected (Stirling Style) te be hit on the head with a truckload of mandarins, and ended up with a the smell of the neighbours peeling one. The lovely smell is totally blown away by the awesome amount of Menthol. It shaves like a dream, it cools like the Arctic but not enough Satsuma's to satisfy me.
The Monarch is on its way :)

I mistakenly ordered a couple of samples of excellent soaps, but found them useless to lather properly.
Ok to check the scent but far too small to properly shave with . Creams are ok though but not hard soaps.

Back
Top Bottom