SE Razor Convert

Right as some of you may know I tend to research this shaving malarkey, so when Tazz mentioned SE shaving last Friday and posted an eBay link on said razors my research mode went into overdrive, due to ordering an Ever Ready 1912 Made in England SE and 200 Gem blades from Connaughts. The blades arrived yesterday and the razor today.
As well as the online research I also PMd Jeltz JohnnyO and mnstruck for there views on SEs a big thank you to them for there feed back, as usual on this site friendly advise given.
Since December have used various DEs both modern and vintage finding Gillette's my favorite, settling on a fat boy and slim all others either piffed or sold on. I have used a shavette (The Yellow Peril) then for reasons beyond me used a Feather Artiste Club for a number of weeks till the concentration levels needed wore me down and moved on to Evva who has given it a good home.
During this time I have been using MWF soap until Provence Sante was piffed to me by pedro and has been my soap of choice ever sins. The DE blade of choice is the 7 Oclock yellow. So as you can see I have a settled routine, makes judging a new bit of kit simple.
Last Friday I tried an OC new which gave me a nice shave but felt on the edge of biting me and left my face tender, which was when Tazz mentioned the SE.
Jeltz I think it was said do not raise your hopes too high, well all I can say is I had a shave today that was better than I had expected the feel of the blade the noise of the blade was a revelation. For me I have the sound and feel of a straight with ought the upkeep a straight entails, with the convenience of a DE the best of both worlds.
The only drawback I can see is I no longer need to hunt the perfect blade as the Gem is I believe the go to blade for SEs ( I might be wrong on that) either way for me it is a better feeling blade than any DE blade I have used. Not a drawback for me but for those that like trying to find the perfect blade. Likewise the razor itself not the choice like you have with DEs but again for me not an issue as this was a better shave at my first attempt than any DE and can only get better.
Regards,
Pete

I used mine today for the first time in months and yes, cracking shave. Wasn't even a new blade. Bit sore - may have pushed the old blade a bit too far. Very close though

Glad to hear your progress Pete, everything adds to the path we all take in wet shaving ultimately resulting in better shaves, improvement of technique and -above all- more enjoyment.

sunburyboy93 said:
I mostly use SE now. Awesome shaves. Far closer and smoother than DE

Of all the SE I have found the GEM Featherweight to be the best

Steve

Steve,
Not sure how the SE was off my radar for so long, but glad it is on it now. Now a GEM Featherweight :angel::angel::angel:
Regards,
Pete

ps the fat boy and slim are in my bedside cabinet. !!!!

Of all my SEs, this is definitely my favourite one:

IMG_1310.JPG

man of leisure said:
sunburyboy93 said:

Steve

Steve,
Not sure how the SE was off my radar for so long, but glad it is on it now. Now a GEM Featherweight :angel::angel::angel:
Regards,
Pete

You should get one of these easy enough on flea bay

I just sold my spare boxed one to urban hermit

sunburyboy93 said:
man of leisure said:
sunburyboy93 said:

Steve

Steve,
Regards,
Pete

You should get one of these easy enough on flea bay

I just sold my spare boxed one to urban hermit

... and a lovely little goer it is too.

• That Ever-Ready Streamline sure looks very, incredibly tempting too, though.
:-/

Back
Top Bottom