Scarlet Blotchy skin after shaving..Need Guidance Please

Hi all,

I have tried a few different safety razers and various cartridge razers.After shaving my face has large Blotchy red patches usually chin and cheeks. Even after treating with after shave balm and different moisturizers my skin stays red and Blotchy for many hours, eventually my skin starts to flake in big chunks of dried skin.

This has started to happen over there last few months, even with a new blade in my Gillette pro glide.

Getting a little concerned, going to work each day looking like I have been slammed silly with a wet fish isn't the best look

Any guidance would appreciated

Cheers

John

Shaving rash, your angle is off, your using goo gel or your lather is too dry.

Try shaving after a shower, alum after your shave and dont use aftershave straight after ,try a moisterising balm, bulldog aftershave balm/gel is good. Leave it 30mins before using aftershave. Also what aftershaves are you using.

Check with a dermatologist. You might be getting some kind of allergic reaction to something. Use proper soap and a synthetic brush. Try shaving the night before. If you get a BBS shave, it will last most of the day. Also try witch hazel instead of aftershave. Welcome to TSR.

Hi all, thank you for the welcome. I have psoriasis, but not in my face. It can take 1 or 2 days for the blotches to fade,

I haven't been using after shave, it's purely a shave and then some nivea after shave balm

Thinking of changing all my equipment, new shaver, new shaving cream/gel/foam.

Was looking at my Gillette sensitive shaving foam, it's full of accords.. Etc

Will look for some alternative

Thank you all for the warm welcome and guidance

John

Hi all, thank you for the welcome. I have psoriasis, but not in my face. It can take 1 or 2 days for the blotches to fade,

I haven't been using after shave, it's purely a shave and then some nivea after shave balm

Thinking of changing all my equipment, new shaver, new shaving cream/gel/foam.

Was looking at my Gillette sensitive shaving foam, it's full of accords.. Etc

Will look for some alternative

Thank you all for the warm welcome and guidance

John
If you're aware of your condition and managing it, that's a step in the right direction. I'd avoid changing everything you use in one go as you'll be unable to identify what's triggering your outbreak/irritation.

We're all advocates for traditional wet shaving here so we'd naturally advise you to use a safety razor but I'm going to leave the soap advice to someone else. There's a few guys on here with sensitive skin that can help guide on soap/cream choices and these don't necessarily have to be expensive.

Whilst the postage is a little difficult at the minute, drop @Mbarn a note to get on the list for the noob box pass around. There'll be a few products in there you can try all for the cost of forwarding it on to the next person.

I don't think you have given enough information yet.
So...what razor/s are you using lately?
What blade/s?
What soap/s?
Hi,

Thanks for the questions, I use a Gillette Proglide and was using the Gillette Proglide sensitive Shaving foam.

I have a safety Razer with a brand new blade and it did exactly the same, I don't think it have me as good a shave as the Gillette Proglide cartridge Razer.. But to be fair, i have only used it a couple of times and maybe not doing it correctly

Thanks in advance

So safety Razor details

Taylor's of Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Gillette Proshield Chill Chrome Razor

Gillette Proglide Sensitive Shaving Foam

Step away from the Feather. Try an Astra SP or another milder blade like Voskhod or Treet Platinum. I always get a burn with a Feather blade even when using a mild razor. To put it into context I rarely get a redness or irritation from a straight razor shave. Of course there are many here that love the Feather, but if it were me, I wouldn't start there. That is the sharpest blade out of a wrapper available.

I still think mantic is the OG....original groomer? Mmmmm, perhaps not.

Anyhow some folks get a reaction from sandalwood unlikely but possible. I don't care for these "sensitive" skin treatments much but some post treatment with witch hazel will help. Whatever you can get hold off, Thayers or a Boot's own, a chemist will still be open and while your in there a tube of Palmolive cream and whatever their stock DE blade is atm.

Last edited:
Prep and technique are the basics I guess we all need to learn first, before razor and blade combo.
I still have a small area on my neck that always goes red, whatever I do.
Perhaps a warm, not hot shower, n aloe vera based pre-shave (apply a let work) when creating the lather.
A soap/cream that creates a good slick and cushioning lather is best...but that seems to be very personal.
Try and keep the lather warm, and use very little pressure, especially if using Feather blades, you can't use the same pressure as you would with the ProGlide. DE blades are sharper and more aggressive than cartridge blades and will irritate more easily.
Try a single pass WTG shave first, touch up in the same direction if needed.
Cool or cold rinse, alum block if you have one, then a good low alcohol aftershave...not a cologne...I love the proraso green, it just works for me.
Then a balm if you need.

Of course, these are purely my personal thoughts and practices

Stay Home, Stay safe, Shave Close

Back
Top Bottom