Sampler Pack Review

Hi Guys

I previoulsy posted this review on B & B; so I apologise if you have seen it previoulsy ;) :-

"I have been DE Shaving for about 8 months and a few months ago decided to get a blade sampler pack with the following blades: Wilkinson Sword, Dorco, Gillette 7 O’clock (yellow pack), Persona Red, Gillette Swedes, Crystals and Feathers. My hardware is Merkur HD and I mainly used Trumpers GFT Cream. Prior to the sampler pack I had used Merkur and Derby blades and I rated the Merkurs as poor and the Derbys as outstanding.

I shaved (or tried to) for 5 days and then moved onto the next manufacturer. OK, my review is as follows:

Wilkinson Sword: absolutely awful; much worse than Merkur. Didn’t appear to cut; just “tug” at each hair. Managed 3 days of shaving before chucking the blade, followed by the rest of the packet in the bin…

Dorco: Again, the pits. Again worse than Merkur and again managed 3 days before all 5 blades hit the bottom of the bin.

Gillette 7 O’clock (yellow pack): By this stage I am getting worried; why have I been unfaithful to my beloved Derbys; the shave I got with the Derby was perfectly acceptable. However help is at hand the 7 O’clock gave an outstanding shave; smooth and light. Five happy shaves with this blade. It even didn’t have that first shave sharpness that I don’t like with Derbys. I would rate the 7 O’clock as better than Derbys.

Persona Red: Not bad; I had 5 reasonable shaves, but probably not as good as Derby.

Gillette Swedes: Very nice; great comfortable shave and gave a great shave. Better than Derby but not as good as 7 O’clock.

Crystals: Again not bad and would rate similar to the Persona Red. Five reasonable shaves.
Feathers: And the winner is Feathers. Absolutely outstanding: Even on the first shave a light beautiful shave with almost no pressure and just cutting through the hair with no effort. IMO leaves all the other blades in its shadow. Day 1 and 2 shaves were awesome but on day 3, I had my Kaiser Chiefs moment e.g. “Oh my good, I can’t believe it”: with just 2 passes with the grain and 1 across the grain on my top lip I had the best shave in my 50 years (probably 35 years of shaving). All day I keep rubbing my chin, thinking where is the stubble!!! (I should add at this point, that my beard is very light on my cheeks and jaw line and is only tougher on my goatee area, others with tougher beards may not be able get a great shave with just 2 passes against the grain).
Of course all the above is just my opinion and others may have a totally different opinion, but “different strokes for different folks” and all that.

Great fun using the sampler pack and I will continue to use all the remaining but will buy in future Feathers and Gillette 7 O’clock blades."

Cheers, Rousey

Sorry just having read the review again, I realise I have some awful B&B style acronyms in the text. I will change these.

Cheers Rousey

Back
Top Bottom