Rotation confessions

I have an excuse. I'm new to this business and asked for suggestions about creams and soaps I could try out to identify preferences. I had lots of suggestions and I will soon have 8 creams and 6 soaps to work through, some of which I may use regularly in rotation. I googled this topic of rotation and quickly identified someone who has 36 creams and soaps he uses in rotation. As one who until recently used whatever cream my wife bought me this is extraordinary. I must say I understand the appeal of trying out new products but surely one has to stop somewhere!

So come on chaps - anyone willing to confess to how many creams and soaps they have tried and/or now use regularly in rotation?

Hi I only have 4 soaps and 5 creams in my rotation however I use over 50 straight razors at the moment and the number is growing every week as I buy more and restore them. I keep telling the wife that I will sell some one day. However every time I use one I can’t bring myself to sell it.

Exile

A problem with any collection is deciding when enough is enough. I have a bell collection which I now limit by selling my least favourite to make way for an addition. It's tough but necessary as I don't want the collection to spread into other rooms. Razors are nice and small so I guess there is no storage problem.
Enjoy!

I have 2 soaps (Honeybee spa yuzu and L'Ome), and 2 creams (TOBS sensitive and Real Shaving Co) in my regular rotation. My go to is the TOBS/Honetbee superlather combo, which I use most days.

I also have Boots cool cologne and Ingrams creams, which I rarely use.

I have a number of razors, but use a Merkur HD, NEW and Suoer adjustable regularly.

I also have a couple of straights, but use only one of them.

I think I have this under control.... :roll:

Fido said:
So come on chaps - anyone willing to confess to how many creams and soaps they have tried and/or now use regularly in rotation?

I have something in excess of 10kg of soaps & 2kg of creams on hand - I don't rotate - I use no more than one soap and one cream at a time... I'm a year in and have possibly worked through 1kg combined (and retired the WS soap)

I have tried lots of stuff but only ever have a couple of products on the go at a time.

Right now it is Mitchell's Wool Fat and Truefitt & Hill Luxury but I will be trying Czech & Speake #88 soon and Aramis has just been put into the big "perhaps, someday" box under the bed. I've never been one for creams but once a month(ish) I might use Palmolive.

Too much choice doesn't really float my boat but I can certainly see the novelty appeal of having enough products and equipment to ensure a different shave, twice a day, every day for the next 25,000 years.

I have a couple of most things (brushes, DEs, blade choices and straights) but I reckon I'm only a couple of months away from having just one of anything. I've been there before for a while but relapsed when I went to London for work.

I have seven soaps and one cream at the moment. I've never been certain what 'rotation' in this context means. Do those who have a rotation use their soaps/creams in a particular order and then return to the first when all have been used once? Personally I cannot do that. I just take a look in the bathroom cabinet and decide what I feel like using that day.

Only have two brushes and one razor and I'm determined to leave it at that! There is one other cream I'm after and then I will let things stay as they are for at least a few weeks!! :shave

Soaps
DR Harris
Tabac
Floris
DVH
Monsavon
Palmolive
MWF
P160

Creams
Proraso
DRH lavender
Palmolive
:shock: I've never done that before nor does it include stuff I don't like but can't bring myself to bin.
I usually use the same soap/cream combo for at least 2 - 3 days at a time lately I've been mostly using Monsavon with a bit of Raso.

Currently 2 creams, 1 stick, 2 AS balms, 2 razors, 3 brushes and 4 colognes.

I really do not want any drastic increases on these :D

They all get used at least once a week depending on what I fancy.

Until recently it was one soap and one cream; now it's four soaps and one cream - still quite manageable. How long this happy situation will last is debatable, as my thoughts seem to be turning to soft soap... I now have six razors, of which five get used. I'm with PigCat on the rotation business: I just pick what I fancy (but I do make sure that the Wool Fat gets an outing regularly so that it doesn't dry out too much).

My fav. soap is Tabac, but I also use Palmolive, and a few others. Never been a cream fan but have given them a fair go.

Blades: Kai and Derby for me, a Feather now and then. Again, I have tried more but these are the ones I return to and keep n stock.

Brushes: two vintage 1950's British classics: a smallish Simpson and a medium Culmak, both best badger. I use them in a week on / week off rotation so they can dry out properly.

Razors: at the mo (!) only an HD Rocket, Parat, Fatboy, Superspeed, Merkur Barberpole and Futur.

And that's about that for me right now, a massive reduction on six months ago and it's still going down (I can see myself sticking with four or five razors) but I'm pretty much there now.

Okay, I plucked up courage to go and have a look in my soap/cream drawers.....

15 Different creams.
9 Different soaps.

That's after just 14 months, but at least I didn't see anything and go "oh, I forgot I'd got that!".

Ian

hunnymonster said:
Fido said:

I have something in excess of 10kg of soaps & 2kg of creams on hand - I don't rotate - I use no more than one soap and one cream at a time... I'm a year in and have possibly worked through 1kg combined (and retired the WS soap)

Wow. Is that including the containers or just the product?

Soaps
La Toja
Speick
Palmolive
Kells Original Aloe/Almond
Kells Original Aloe/Uncented
Proraso green

Creams
Fitjar Bee My Honey
Fitjar Wild Thing Well Bred
Musgo Real
O Melhor
Trumpers Violet

The Trumpers is nearly finished... I will replace it with Proraso, a better cream at a better price IMHO.

Cool.

I like to many types for their scent, lube & moisturizing characteristics, lathering quirks etc to buy bulk. Plus there are a shed load out there that i have not tried.

Back
Top Bottom