Rooney brushes

I'll be interested to see what fido replies with, he did a bit of research into Rooney's sometime back.

I reckon its a load of codswallop.

Ambiguity remains.

"The City Of London Brushworks Company is closely associated with Rooney Brushmakers"

In what way? Does it now own the brand? And/or make the Rooney brushes.

"The freehold premises in Bishopsgate were sold in 1927 and all manufacturing was transferred to Walthamstow, where the Company continues today."

The article implies that relates to Rooney, but Rooney no longer exists as a Company.

"The City of London Brushworks company are confident that they are able to offer both machine and handmade brushware that is second to none, well presented in the “ English Way ” to the best advantage."

So they now make Rooney brushes? And make some by hand, some by machine. So at least things have moved on.

None of this matters really. All the brushes I have bought and used bearing the Rooney name are great brushes.

Whoever is behind Rooney remain completely silent about the business. That's their right. So as long as that continues, people interested in the brushes will speculate.

Very limited range on offer at Executive Shaving. The best ones are sold through American sites. Strange for a name still proud of the "English Way"

OP
Northam Saint
Fido said:
Ambiguity remains.

"The City Of London Brushworks Company is closely associated with Rooney Brushmakers"

In what way? Does it now own the brand? And/or make the Rooney brushes.

"The freehold premises in Bishopsgate were sold in 1927 and all manufacturing was transferred to Walthamstow, where the Company continues today."

The article implies that relates to Rooney, but Rooney no longer exists as a Company.

"The City of London Brushworks company are confident that they are able to offer both machine and handmade brushware that is second to none, well presented in the “ English Way ” to the best advantage."

So they now make Rooney brushes? And make some by hand, some by machine. So at least things have moved on.

None of this matters really. All the brushes I have bought and used bearing the Rooney name are great brushes.

Whoever is behind Rooney remain completely silent about the business. That's their right. So as long as that continues, people interested in the brushes will speculate.

Very limited range on offer at Executive Shaving. The best ones are sold through American sites. Strange for a name still proud of the "English Way"
They are indeed great brushes, I love the one I purchased from you Fido. It's a shame we don't seem to get on offer the full range and that Rooney remain very much hidden from public view.

Fido said:

Resurrecting the thread, but it does matter if the brushes aren't actually being made in England. They mark the handles as made in England, but where?

I would imagine your government would care deeply about false markings, but maybe that's just an American thing. Made in the USA still has legal weight and meaning.

http://www.ilondon.co.uk/profile/587947/Walthamstow/R-A-Rooney/

Anyone want to drive down and investigate?

asharperrazor said:
Fido said:

Resurrecting the thread, but it does matter if the brushes aren't actually being made in England. They mark the handles as made in England, but where?

I would imagine your government would care deeply about false markings, but maybe that's just an American thing. Made in the USA still has legal weight and meaning.

http://www.ilondon.co.uk/profile/587947/Walthamstow/R-A-Rooney/

Anyone want to drive down and investigate?
On my way.

AfaIk, "Made in England" covers a multitude of descriptions ranging from nothing is made in England but the constituent parts are assembled here all the way through to everything is made here and it's all put together here. You just know to which end of that spectrum the majority of goods Made in England belong.

It's very sad, innit, when not so long ago everything was Made in England or Made in Britain and sent worldwide in the holds of British ships.

Is there a Wimpy Bar remaining or have they all been gobbled up by McDonald and Burger King?

The postcode points to the wrong address, I went up a few months (3 months or so) ago and found it. It's closer to: E17 6BH but I won't be more specific as Rooney are notoriously secretive, I believe that comes from past run ins with the animal rights people. Their workshops are not marked.

Canuck said:
The postcode points to the wrong address, I went up a few months (3 months or so) ago and found it. It's closer to: E17 6BH but I won't be more specific as Rooney are notoriously secretive, I believe that comes from past run ins with the animal rights people. Their workshops are not marked.
That's fine if you don't want to share the exact address, but please confirm that they actually do have a workshop and people are working there.

Surely there are various gentlemen that frequent this forum that have purchased brushes directly from Mr. Sabini (M&F) or Rooney?

This being the case, there will be an invoice associated with the goods containing the suppliers details including the Registered Company Address, Co. Reg No. and VAT No.?

Has anyone ever seen an invoice from Mr. Sabini (M&F) or Rooney?

Or do they just take money with no visible paper trail? That being the case, I'm sure it would pique the interest of HMRC ...

But you can't buy direct from Rooney, that's the point, that they're so guarded. I've bought two Rooney brushes from Executive but even they say that Rooney are hard to deal with... it's the reason that Executive are clearing out their remaining stock. Last one that I had a fault with, Brian had to put it right himself (even though the sale of goods act puts the final onus on the manufacturer to reimburse the retailer or give him replacement stock of faulty goods)... he explained that despite emailing the factory a few times he'd not heard from them in months and he's kind of given up on them.

I seriously doubt any company with any public profile is selling direct with no paper trail, and I'd find the idea a bit far fetched if I'm honest.

but please confirm that they actually do have a workshop and people are working there.
Sorry Lee, I've only just seen this. Yes there appears to be a physical workshop (small factory unit) where I thought it should be, I assumed it was Rooney as every other unit there was named and signed. On this unit the windows were grated and I couldn't see in, I asked at the intercom if this was where Rooney brushes were assembled but they wouldn't discuss it and I came away none the wiser. I can only draw vague conclusions from that, and nothing that I'd have any back up for, sorry I can't confirm anything concrete.

You may not be able to buy from Rooney directly, but you can from Mr. Sabini it would seem under his M&F umbrella.

A quick search on www.companieshouse.gov.uk suggests that Morris & Forndran Ltd & R A Rooney Ltd were dissolved some time ago ...

Try and find any trace of the two businesses in UK official channels & you may well be frustrated.

However, and at the end of the day, if that is how Mr. Sabini and others wish to run their business, then that is entirely their perogative.

If they are producing quality brushes at reasonable prices, the market will dictate if their rationale is vindicated. It would seem it is - there is a good following for their product.

It is not a policy I would adopt for our company ... transparency, ease of communication & a 'voice' to talk to are core values that Simpson customers remind me that we do better than most.