Rolls Razor Query

A rather timely post by @steve_keyte about Rolls Razors has jogged my memory on a question I meant to ask you all.

I picked up a Rolls Razor a few weeks ago on eBay and it seems to be in great condition. When I remove the blade from the case and try to slide it on to the handle it doesn't engage. Is the little ball bearing thing in the head of the head of the handle suppose to depress? Is it generally fiddly or should it be easy to slide the blade on to the handle?

There are a few types of handle Chris, @Boycie83 , if it is a Ball bearing they can be stiff, oil it and work it, they can still be stiff, it needs to hold the blade during the shave, i place bottom of blade into "G" the tip upwards applying pressure to insert the top, it should slide in.
The Handle could screw apart easing a Pin rod back, load the blade and tighten, it may be worth giving it a soak, and be careful, bloody sharp.
T

There are a few types of handle Chris, @Boycie83 , if it is a Ball bearing they can be stiff, oil it and work it, they can still be stiff, it needs to hold the blade during the shave, i place bottom of blade into "G" the tip upwards applying pressure to insert the top, it should slide in.
The Handle could screw apart easing a Pin rod back, load the blade and tighten, it may be worth giving it a soak, and be careful, bloody sharp.
T
Thanks Tony. I'll give it a good oiling like you suggested. I've taken a couple of pictures:

IMG_20200526_124629.jpg
IMG_20200526_124618.jpg

Having overcome the blade fitment challenge, I think I've subsequently ruined the razor with some overly enthusiastic cleaning. CIF bathroom mousse and some disinfectant have left rust marks on the blade including the edge. I think it's beyond my skillset to salvage this:

IMG_20200527_145208.jpgIMG_20200527_145222.jpgIMG_20200527_145237.jpg

Having overcome the blade fitment challenge, I think I've subsequently ruined the razor with some overly enthusiastic cleaning. CIF bathroom mousse and some disinfectant have left rust marks on the blade including the edge. I think it's beyond my skillset to salvage this:

View attachment 55004View attachment 55003View attachment 55002
I wouldn't have thought it would damage the edge that quick, give it a wee hone then a strop, I'm sure it will be fine. Mind don't batter it back and forward like a mad man. Let it gently touch hone or strop before pushing handle to the stop before going other way

There are several types of handles, I have at least four types in my collection of Rolls razors and Rolls 'ephemera'
The first is the 'two piece' as the name suggests, the handle separates into two sections by unscrewing, the bottom section had a spring loaded rod which passes up through the top section of the handle, once the handle is assembled loosely, the blade is inserted into the hook of the top section and the two halves of the handle tightened together, the spring loaded rod bears against the blade and the spring pressure provides the pressure to hold the blade in place. The common failing of this type is that the spring loaded rod corrodes into the bottom section of the handle seizing solid, thus, the spring loading is lost. It is possible to dismantle the handles completely to free off the corroded parts. Yhis type of handles was made in plated brass or aluminium.
The second type is a one piece solid handle, similar in appearance to the 'two piece' and it is a solid assembly with a spring loaded ball in the blade hook, the blade is gently forced into the hook, depressing the ball and this holds the blade in place.
The third type is a one piece telescopic, as the name suggests, the handle telescopes into itself to about half of its extended length, the blade is secured by a spring loaded ball in the same manner as the one piece solid handle.
The fourth type is a variation on the telescopic handle, a two piece arrangement which can be distinguished by the top section of the handle having hexagon flats around it where the top section telecopes into the bottom section, the top section unscrews once extended to reveal the spring loaded plunger arrangement which applies pressure to the blade, the ball which bears against the blade is a small machines component, one end had a dome machined on it and the other a spigot which engages into a short spring, the other end on the spring fits over a machined projection in the bottom handle section, when the handle is assembled and the blade inserted into the hook, tightening the two sections of the handle together causes the spring to compress and exert pressure onto the blade, holding it in place.
I can upload pictures of the four types of handle if anyone wants to see the different types.

Steve

View attachment 55004View attachment 55003View attachment 55002
I would think that blade will clean up with little effort, I had a lot worse made shave ready with a bit of work
Steve

That must be quite difficult to do with the little safety bar fitted to the front I'd imagine?
No, it's pretty easy to unclip the guard, just watch out if you do because there is a small ball bearing in one of the drillings in one edge of the blade, which provides the locking action for the guard, this can sometimes fall out when you remove the guard

Steve

Here are the four types of Rolls handles that I have in my collection, from top to bottom they are:
  1. Standard two piece handle in plated brass with steel rod, the rod can be removed by removing the screw-in end cap in the bottom section of the handle, the rod and spring can then be removed.
  2. The one piece handle, notice that the end cap of the handle is shallower than the standard two piece handle.
  3. The standard one piece telescopic handle, shown here extended to its full length
  4. The variant on the telescopic handle, a two piece unit, shown here dismantled showing the spring loaded ball end pin which bears against the blade to hold it in position.
20200529_123718.jpg

Steve

Here is the 'exploded view' of the standard two piece handle, the rod, which is made of mild steel and susceptible to corrosion and ultimate seizing in the bottom section of the handle, was available either plated or in a blackened (as shown in this example) finish. The blackened rod finish is very similar to gun blueing.
To dismantle, grip the screw in bottom cap with pliers and unscrew, the spring and hopefully the rod can be withdrawn from the handle bottom section. If the rod is seized, apply 'Plusgas' or similar into the handle base, refit the bottom cap and allow to soak for several days, the rod should then be able to be removed by gentle tapping on the end which bears against the blade, be very careful as the rod is easily bent.

20200531_090422.jpg

Steve

Here is the 'exploded view' of the standard two piece handle, the rod, which is made of mild steel and susceptible to corrosion and ultimate seizing in the bottom section of the handle, was available either plated or in a blackened (as shown in this example) finish. The blackened rod finish is very similar to gun blueing.
To dismantle, grip the screw in bottom cap with pliers and unscrew, the spring and hopefully the rod can be withdrawn from the handle bottom section. If the rod is seized, apply 'Plusgas' or similar into the handle base, refit the bottom cap and allow to soak for several days, the rod should then be able to be removed by gentle tapping on the end which bears against the blade, be very careful as the rod is easily bent.

View attachment 55146

Steve
I have the top handle in your picture of the 4 and thought I had figured it out when I unscrewed the top part. I never knew of the spring in 5je bottom of it until I saw this photo. Thank you.

Any tips for cleaning the blade up? Those rust spots developed overnight.

Back
Top Bottom