Rocket swap: Blue-tip for HD?

Hi All

I've had a blue tip aluminium rocket for a while (different to its US cousin, which is aluminum with one "i" ha ha) but I don't really like it

Been offered a swap for an HD rocket.

Both are "user grade"

Is one more rare / valuable than the other? Should money change hands, and if so, which way?

Thanks & Merry Christmas

I'd say the HD was certainly the better razor in terms of build quality, heft and shave experience. I don't actually know what blue tips sell for, but from buying/selling not so long ago the blue tip was the least desireable of the three coloured tips. I think I'd put the HD and the red tip probably about the same money.

Anyway ...

We're not talking collectables here. User grade for user grade, I'd say straight swap. So long as both parties are happy and get a working razor that they can each use, carry on.

Sorry, but the Blue Tip Rocket is A LOT RARER than the HD. The HD is actually as commonplace as the Blue Tip is rare! I‘m a new member here and don't know if valuations are accepted. However the Blue Tip I'd say is at least 3 times the value of the HD. Though I personally prefer the shave of the HD ;)

Just to be sure - you are talking about these two razors, right? This Blue Tip Rocket I sold a while back for 110 USD, an hour after I posted the sale on another shaving website. The Red Tip Rocket is the rarest of all and go for 200+ USD if offered with the original case.

5167952F-6F3E-45E7-A2CA-C05EC5665275.jpeg6EE0CC68-D017-4ADF-8F91-B8576D078F58.jpeg

Last edited:
The British blue tip doesn't have the gap between the tip and the shaft.

Hi Paul - If it is a Rocket it has. The British made Super-Speeds don't have the gap. It is actually confusing that we both have British made Super-Speeds and British made Rockets. Examples here: Red Tips I both sold a while back:

EDIT - actually British made Super-Speeds are in equally high demand. But I definitely agree with you Paul that when user grade it is a matter of both parties being happy :)

4823FA7B-5864-49FD-943F-29666663EF46.jpegA757DD2E-F8AC-4D7D-AE3C-B78C7C4E539A.jpeg

Last edited:
Ahhh, there we go ... that is a subtle difference. I stand corrected. Hint to Rev-O < listen to him, not me :)

I sold off my non-Tech Gillette collection a few years back which had a pretty complete set of Superspeeds and Rockets. I rather wish I'd catalogued them. Fascinating details on these things.

I sold off my non-Tech Gillette collection a few years back which had a pretty complete set of Superspeeds and Rockets. I rather wish I'd catalogued them. Fascinating details on these things.

Me too, friend, I had 10+ Rockets which are all wonderful shavers and lookers. But then I fell into British Aristocrats and got side tracked so I sold off all my Rockets except a #58 and a 1958 Rocket TV Special :LOL:

Ah in that case maybe it's a superspeed not a rocket? It doesn't have a gap between the tto knob and the handle but is aluminium, blue tip and made in England. Thanks

Enjoy. As stated the British Super-Speeds are pretty desired and I rarely see Blue Tips offered for sale.

Still, as @pjgh points out the HD is a better built razor and (to me) a better shaver). But there are many of them around.

Back
Top Bottom