Reviewing the new line of Yaqi razors (and stands)

Nav

I was placing an order for a few more Yaqi shaving brushes and noticed they released an entire range of new razors. I already have several Yaqi razors and really like them. They are great value for money and I have given away several in starter kits to a few of my relatives and close friends.

The new range of razors are aesthetically very pleasing! Yaqi's design team seem to have really done a great job with the new handles. The heads are the same as their previous models;

- Mellon head, which is basically a "Double Open Comb" DE razor.

- Scalloped head, which is a DE89 lookalike but with increased efficiency.

- Cobbled head, which is the same as the Maggard V3A head.

The build quality is 1st class! Not a blemish to be seen. These are hefty, solid razors. The handles are grippy and never feel like they'll slip out of my hand.

The Mellon head is a double open comb design and whilst it may look daunting, it's actually a mild, gentle razor.

I did my 3 pass shaves and got DFS results. I generally prefer a daily BBS but I could use this razor and be pleased with it. If it was more efficient, it would have been perfect for me because the head design is very clever in that it allows some lather to remain on the face, thereby facilitating further strokes over the same spot.

The shave was very comfortable. At no point does the razor feel rough or bitey. It's gentle and smooth. I rate the efficiency about the same as the DE89/R89 but a tad less than the 34C.

The scalloped head is really my favourite head from Yaqi. It may look like a DE89 head but rest assured, the efficiency level is considerable higher! It's in the middle of the Yaqi pack but I find it efficient enough to deliver a BBS. It's a comfortable razor but don't expect it to be smooth like Karve, Rockwell etc at this price point because the blade does have a little chatter to it. Nothing extreme but not as tight as higher end razors.

The Cobbled head is the most aggressive out of the three. I got only one of these and I'm kind of glad I did as it was a tad too much for my skin. I see many people use these on YouTube and they seem to get on with it quite well but for my sensitive skin, it was aggressive and a bit bitey.

The heads of the razors are chromed zinc alloy and the handles are made of brass. This is really great and I feel the razors will last a very long time. I've personally never had any issue with a zamac razor, despite of a handful of cases popping up here and there on the forums.

I gave away either the Mellon or Scalloped based on the coarseness of their stubble and the feedback I've received from the guys has been overall very positive. They are going through the learning curve and having great results.

Overall, these are impressive razors, especially at the price point! They are well suited for beginners and experienced shavers, just choose which aggression may suit best for your skin and growth.

Razor-mellon.jpg

Razors-scalloped.jpg

Travel Razor:

This is a fantastic design! The case feels like real leather (and it may well be). It has a very small form and will fit into the tiniest of travel kits.

The razor head that came with the razor was the cobbled but I have changed it out for my preferred scalloped head.

The handle is the perfect length once assembled and it has a good grip, no slippage at all.

Travel-razor1.jpg

Travel-razor2.jpg

Razor/brush stands:

A special mention for this razor stand…by far the nicest and most practical razor stand I've ever used. I have other stands but this will now be my permanent stand in my bathroom as it looks so elegant, clean and simplistic. It's hefty and is of durable quality.

The plastic brush stands are fairly standard but sturdier than my other plastic stands. They seem to be a good value for money.

Stands.jpg

Stand-with-brush.jpg

Shaving bowl:

This bowl is hefty! Much more than what I was expecting. I use it to dip my brush while making my lather as I use RO/distilled water to make my lather. It's looks really fantastic on the countertop!

bowl1.jpg

bowl2.jpg

Good reviews.

My experiences with the Yaqi Heads were slightly different to yours, I found the Cobbed head to be a touch less aggressive than the scalloped head, but both to be more aggressive/more blade feel than I like and I've barely used them since receiving them. The DOC I find to be a very good shaver, produces great results with the right blade.

Back
Top Bottom