REVIEW - Phoenix & Beau 'Balm'

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Phoenix & Beau 'Balm'

20160325_074246.jpg

From the Phoenix & Beau site:
"Our balm is something that can be used in a variety of ways, e.g. conventional skin moisturiser, post-shave, beard or moustache conditioner, post-surf, post-sun, post-ski, etc.

Carefully crafted to include conditioning and moisturising oils and waxes, we use unrefined shea butter, locally sourced organic beeswax, argan oil and jojoba oil to provide the nourishing foundation; a rich preparation which deeply moisturises and protects your skin (and facial hair). Shea butter is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A, D and E. It is also UV protective and combats skin conditions such as dry skin, dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. Beeswax is known to have anti-allergenic, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which can help to protect the skin from the elements, smoke and airborne particulate. Our balm also contains virgin hempseed oil and black sesame oil.

Like our soaps we make our balm in small batches and with our own hands."

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
Again, from Phoenix & Beau site:
"Super moisturising with powerful conditioning properties our balm will turn from semi solid to near liquid once it reaches body temperature. A little goes a long way and so we recommend placing a pea sized amount (perhaps a little more) in to your palm. Use the back of a nail to extract it from its tin before warming it with a brisk rub of palm to palm or finger to palm - now apply / rub in to your chosen area and ensure it is thoroughly absorbed.

Equally you can apply the requisite amount to a fingertip and dab it on to the specific area you want to moisturise before using small circular motions to warm and accelerate absorption."

20160325_074316.jpg

I use the former, and treat it like an oil based pomade, rubbing vigorously between my palms, and then apply slowly to my face. During use, I can detect a honey scent, that is almost savoury if that makes sense. Taking the time to rub the balm into your face pays dividends because you get nice even coverage, and can detect any areas that you may have missed during the shave.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
I'll be honest, I don't often need a balm, particularly now I am using the Phoenix & Beau range of soaps. That said, there is always a place for a balm with such restorative qualities such as this. There are days where I want to use a different soap that doesn't give the finish I love of P&B, so the balm is used then, like today whereby an otherwise good soap leaves my face dry. This mornings shave was brought up to scratch in the post shave department by the use of Balm, ensuring my face is as moist as a morning dew, and twice as fresh. Some post shave products I find I am sensitive to, leaving a slightly unpleasant tingling sensation. I get none of this with Balm.

It also works wonderfully on cold days. I went for a 6 mile walk yesterday in the bracing wind, something that would ordinarily leave my face dry. I applied the balm that morning prior to the walk, and my face felt fantastic despite the cold wind and rain.

If you're looking for something to give a fantastic finish to your shave, or just to your face in general, you'd do well to give Balm a try.

Looks decent for those of us with dry skin. I'll have to get a sample of it to trial some time.

I use USB as an all-purpose moisturiser and argan oil as pre-shave, facial oil, and sometimes with a hot cloth as a cleanser.

Looks decent for those of us with dry skin. I'll have to get a sample of it to trial some time.

I use USB as an all-purpose moisturiser and argan oil as pre-shave, facial oil, and sometimes with a hot cloth as a cleanser.
It's definitely worth every penny of the £5.95 asking price :) A little goes a very long way, and will continue to do so if I can keep my wife away from it, she loves it too.

I didn't know that P&K made a balm. I would be prone to dry skin so I think I'll have a go with this whenever my current product runs out.

Back
Top Bottom