Review: Muhle R41 2013

Early this year, I began to hear rumors of a new version of the MÜHLE R41 which had been introduced to European customers quietly and without fanfare. I first saw pictures of the new model on a Spanish website. The new version had a larger top cap, and the base plate had also been enlarged slightly. No new model number had been assigned, and the original packaging had not been modified in any way. I remembered how quietly MÜHLE's new V2 series of shave brushes had been introduced, and suspected that they were doing the same with the R41.

The R41 has been controversial since its introduction--with many users loving it, while others found it "too much". This was especially true in Europe. After verifying the rumors, I ordered the new R41 head directly from Muhle and began to test it.

On first examination, it was very hard to see any differences except by a side-by-side comparison with the previous model. Differences are subtle indeed, but a close look shows that the new version has a slightly larger top cap (20.1mm) and base plate. The three close-up photos included with this review show the best way to identify the new model: the amount of blade exposure is the best and easiest identifying characteristic.

Could I tell the differences in shaving? Most definitely!

While the new version seems every bit as aggressive/effective as the original, it is significantly better behaved. The modifications seem geared toward making it easier and safer to use, and towards eliminating the blade flex that is sometimes noted with thinner blades.

I was concerned that it might have modifications that reduced its effectiveness, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I tried three- and four-pass shaves and received fine BBS shave with each approach.

I tried shaves with the 2013 on the left side of my face, and the original version on the right. For the next two weeks, I continued this testing procedure, alternating sides every day. I tried different blades and soaps/creams, sometimes with three passes and sometimes four—all with BBS results.

It took a few days to adjust to the new blade angle that the 2013 seemed to require. Because of the reduced blade exposure, the shallow angle I used previously was no longer possible, but a minor adjustment that did not affect shave quality in the least was easy to learn.

Is there any difference in the shave at all? Yes, but difficult to detect.

Does anyone remember the playing card test that Gillette used years ago? To do it, one draws a playing card (or business card) ATG along the cheek, holding it perpendicular to the face and listening for audible feedback.

I waited a full 12 hours and tried the card-scratch test on each side of my face. My suspicions were confirmed—the shave with the newer version did not last as long. But then, it was only detectable after 12 hours, and only with the card. I could not feel any difference to the touch! I repeated the card test over a two week period to verify my findings.

I am now leaning toward the opinion that the original R41 is a little more aggressive. The shave on that side is closer, but only by a tiny amount, and only with a three-pass shave. With four passes, both sides are excellent. On the other hand, the 2013 side had no irritation at all (as detected by a strong dose of Tabac cologne applied immediately after my shaves).

With over 450 shaves with the original R41, I have to say that the refined 2013 model should be a hit with all lovers of aggressive razors!

This is a summary of my impressions of the MÜHLE R41 2013 model:

The MÜHLE R41 2013, is a stunning pieces of craftsmanship, with flawless plating that reminded me of polished sterling or rhodium. During my testing, I used the original and longer, heavier Grande handles. They both had excellent size and heft, were well-balanced and felt good in my hands. During the testing, I alternate randomly between them. I feel that the shorter handle was more nimble, and that the Grande's extra length and weight also added to my shaving experience. In addition, I tried the Griest brass handle which is both short (3 inches) and heavy (111 grams). I liked this configuration very much as well.

Price: The cost of this razor depends on how carefully you shop. I bought mine for $45, and I've seen prices ranging from $36-$61*. The razor offers high value for the money.

Readers should be cautioned that the 2011 and 2013 models have the same model numbers and identical packaging. There is no way to tell which version you are buying without close visual comparison with a blade loaded, or by purchasing through a trusted vendor. It appears that this razor will not be available through U.S. vendors for the foreseeable future.

I gave the price a "10".

Quality: This is a beautiful and functional piece of craftsmanship. MÜHLE is known for high quality manufacturing standards and Rolls-Royce quality plating. I found the R41 to excel in every dimension of quality. I scored a "10" here.

User Friendly: I gave it a "9" because I actually prefer two- and three-piece razors for ease of cleaning. The extra few seconds it takes to replace a blade every few days I find negligible. The grip and balance contribute to great control and performance. I felt this razor made sure, close and comfortable shaves easy. I know that other shavers prefer TTO mechanisms, so I did not give it a top score in this category."9"

Grip: The grip and its finish are two of the R41's finest features. The texturing is attractive and provides a secure grip under slippery conditions. The handles are large enough to be well-suited to most users, but small enough to be very nimble. The Griest handle's knurling makes for an even better grip. A "9".

Ease of Blade Replacement: Personally, I like three-piece razors, especially this one. The quality of construction is even evident in the cut of the threads that bind it together. It is so well fitted that it screws into the head as smoothly as if it were coated with grease. A "9”.

Aggressiveness: This is an aggressive and effective razor capable of giving really fine shaves. With a sharp blade like Feathers, Perma-Sharps or Personna Med Preps it is arguably in a class by itself. This razor gives really fine, close and comfortable shaves. The 2013 model corrects the original version's tendency to "bite" because of blade exposure and flex with thinner blades, while providing a nearly identical shave. The only difference I could detect is a slight reduction in shave longevity, not closeness. "10"

Adjustability: This is a non-adjustable razor. However, I think it's perfect the way it is.

Balance: I like the overall weight and balance of this razor very much. It is perfectly balanced for ease of use. A "10"

Overall: I still have difficulty holding back my enthusiasm for this razor. It's just that good. It is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and for me, shaves better than any DE or SE razor I've ever used. The refinements in the 2013 model make it easier to use. One can shave freely and easily without the need for constant concentration. The refibenents are just that--they make the razor safer and easier to use. In my testing, the changes only effect the longevity of the shave, not the closeness.

I do not hesitate to recommend the R41 2013 to anyone who desires an aggressive razor. The new model also seems to have corrected the earlier version's tendency to shorten blade life. For me, sharp, smooth blades work best. I've had great success with Feathers, Personna Med Preps and Labs, Russian Perma-Sharps and Gillette Yellows.

Thank you to Christian Vela for his excellent photo, and to Foroafeitado.com for permission to use it. The photo demonstrated the blade exposure of the 2010 model on the left, and the 2013 model on the right.

Thanks Jim, excellent review, I've only used the original R41 and that "bit" me last time it got an outing, I got a bit blaise and forgot the good advice you gave me regarding the R41 all those years ago....So think I'd probably better stick with my old 7'clock for now...
Just looked at the date on the post....Duhhh.

...just realised this review was posted 2013; never the less, a great review that has stood the test of time. The R41 has remained in my rotation, a veritable tour de force...

Back
Top Bottom