Received some notebooks

Actually - a whole bunch of notebooks :)

I really liked how these notebooks arrived from CW pen - handwritten note and freebie pencil.
2d6xiv.jpg

Inside, were these French Calepino No2 w/ grid patterned pages;
jii7va.jpg

First impressions just feeling the paper and looking at the notebooks is that this is a huge step up from the FieldNote notebooks.
It doesn't hurt that they are also the same price as FieldNotes and that there is a great supplier of them here in the US through CW Pen

Here's my small collection of notebooks that I'm looking forward to experimenting with to see which one(s) will be keepers going forward.
Now, if only my Parker 25 pens would get here as well.....
vi1dp3.jpg

Must admit haven't tried either. Have tried Moleskin and similar prices ones. maybe I am just a tightwad, but just for note taking they were too expensive. I now use Rhino Toughback, at 84p each, and they really live up to their name. Plenty of pages (60/120)of decent quality 7mm ruled paper.

I also received some of the 'mythical' BanditApple notebooks. $12 w/ international shipping for four of them out of Korea;
18evly.jpg

The stitched backs is a nice touch;
2d6jcwz.jpg

2e5k1du.jpg

28tub8m.jpg

Any Bandit vs Calapinos (vs Rhodia) update?

I can't speak for @Nico1970 but I've had a chance to try some notebooks now.
Note, the below is of course highly subjective so take it all with a scoop of salt.

I used the following notebooks with predominantly fountain pens with fine-to-medium nibs:

Calepino
BanditApple
Rhodia
FieldNotes

The only one where I had some actual bleed-through was the FieldNotes one.
I'd probably rate them lowest on the paper-totem-pole.

The Calepino, BanditApple and Rhodia all exhibited small amounts of show-through (but no bleed-through) onto the reverse page but nothing that was so distracting that it prevented me from using both sides of the page.
They all use excellent paper.

Their paper is a bit different when it comes to 'whiteness' and coating though.

Rhodia: Bright white, almost artificial and feel very 'modern', smooth and clean.
Calepino: White, but a few shades darker and not as 'glossy/modern' looking as the Rhodia paper
BanditApple: The most 'unbleached' look of them. Looked and felt most 'natural'.

If I had to rate them in how much I enjoyed them and how well I think it took the ink and presented it back to me, I'd say;
1) BanditApple
2) Calepino
3) Rhodia

This is not to slam Rhodia in any way, but when I write with old fountain pens I must admit that writing on paper that doesn't remind me of school/work in how white and crisp it is does add to that experience.

All are however very capable of taking fountain pen inks and do it very well :)

Cut it out, you guys! I think this falling sensation is due to another rabbit hole!

This one is a deep one...

The "up-side" is that the pen/paper/ink hobby is something that you can use multiple times/day..for hours even...as opposed to shaving which is a once/day thing at max ;)

Cut it out, you guys! I think this falling sensation is due to another rabbit hole!

This one is a deep one...

The "up-side" is that the pen/paper/ink hobby is something that you can use multiple times/day..for hours even... ;)

That's right DB, Carl can get plenty of mileage from nice pens and stationary in daily life! He's writing stuff out all the time I bet. Doesn't even know what he's missing by not using classy pens and pencils and such. Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom