Re-plating a Gillette

After a break I am back into shaving!

I mean, I have still shaved it's just that I foundry favourite set-up* and couldn't improve on it.

But I was getting bored with perfection so I've decided to mess around and experiment again.

I have got my wife's uncle's HD Rocket that he was given by his sister (my wife's aunt) brand new in 1956.

I had thought it was "used" or "shaver grade" but in fact the plating has completely worn away on the doors and the brass underneath is very pitted and scratched.

So: to replate or not to replate, that is the Q. (I should add it shaves just fine as it is, although it might shave better after some TLC.)

I have seen a couple of threads** here about it but was wondering what the consensus is and what the cost is likely to be.

Thanks

* MdC classic, New Forest brush, Ranger Tech, Personna blades. Just seems to work every time for me.

** eg https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/replating-service.49931/
and https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...ds/replating-options-in-uk.46138/#post-695527

If the brass is very pitted underneath it may not ever be nice again. If it is not too bad then it could come to look like new.

I have had a number of razors replated with Chris Evatt at razorplate.com. He is a true gentleman of the old sort and is the best replater I have encountered! You need to ship it to the US though. Cost of plating as I recall starts with USD 55 for a full razor in bright nickel (absolutely gorgeous) and upwards from there in other platings. If you're interested you can send a few pics to Chris and ask him to evaluate. As we speak I have 3 Aristocrats homebound from him - good times!

However - for a HD, unless this one has sentimental value, you can find another great condition specimen for the same price. I happen to know one for sale right now at another site for 40 EUR or so, in superb condition, shipped out of the Netherlands. NB - not me selling, but a guy I know and trust.

Best of luck!

If the brass is very pitted underneath it may not ever be nice again. If it is not too bad then it could come to look like new.

I have had a number of razors replated with Chris Evatt at razorplate.com. He is a true gentleman of the old sort and is the best replater I have encountered! You need to ship it to the US though. Cost of plating as I recall starts with USD 55 for a full razor in bright nickel (absolutely gorgeous) and upwards from there in other platings. If you're interested you can send a few pics to Chris and ask him to evaluate. As we speak I have 3 Aristocrats homebound from him - good times!

However - for a HD, unless this one has sentimental value, you can find another great condition specimen for the same price. I happen to know one for sale right now at another site for 40 EUR or so, in superb condition, shipped out of the Netherlands. NB - not me selling, but a guy I know and trust.

Best of luck!

Did you get charged any customs fees when the razor was posted back to you?

Did you get charged any customs fees when the razor was posted back to you?

Yep sadly, I forgot about that (blocked it out, haha). But a few times the package has gone straight through, but it means that only the value of the replate is noted, not the value of the razor. So there's a risk as I always ship non-insured/tracked. I never had anything go wrong though, and with all my vintage acquisitions, sales, and refurbishments in and out of the US I guess I have shipped/received close to 100 packages (touch wood, hope I haven't jinxed it now!!).

You shouldn't be charged any duty when the razor is posted back to you. I considered having something replated earlier in the year and contacted HMRC with this query. This was their response:

You will not be charged duty and VAT to have your own goods returned to you.

To ensure you do not get charged the shipper on sending the goods back to you will need to write 'RETURNED GOODS' on the parcel.

More information can be found at this link https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ned-goods-relief#re-importing-goods-under-rgr particularly paragraph 4.4

Yours sincerely,

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs, International Trade & Excise
www.hmrc.gov.uk/contactus

You shouldn't be charged any duty when the razor is posted back to you. I considered having something replated earlier in the year and contacted HMRC with this query. This was their response:

You will not be charged duty and VAT to have your own goods returned to you.

To ensure you do not get charged the shipper on sending the goods back to you will need to write 'RETURNED GOODS' on the parcel.

More information can be found at this link https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ned-goods-relief#re-importing-goods-under-rgr particularly paragraph 4.4

Yours sincerely,

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs, International Trade & Excise
www.hmrc.gov.uk/contactus

Cool, I will try that next time, see if it works with Danish customs! - Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom